Indirect missiles

jonas165
Brigadier

Indirect missiles

Postby jonas165 » Mon 30 Jan 2017 21:03

Does anyone has a clue if that still works? I just don't get it running, my missiles go random after a few meters no matter where I fire them at.

EDIT: It might not even be for the indirect trait, even if I disable it, my missiles never hit anything. I want to make a HE missile that targets ground units or fires on a position, but it doesn't seem to work. The missile always seems to lose guidance, even though it is F&F.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

gijoe41
Corporal

Re: Indirect missiles

Postby gijoe41 » Tue 31 Jan 2017 23:54

Ashes and Shadows had a Thermobaric Kornet unit that could do indirect fire with missiles. Maybe ask Spectre_nz how he did it

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Wed 1 Feb 2017 07:20

gijoe41 wrote:Ashes and Shadows had a Thermobaric Kornet unit that could do indirect fire with missiles. Maybe ask Spectre_nz how he did it

I've already successfully tested guided and even F&F HE missiles. But somehow, the ground based cruise missile I want to implement doesn't work. I've found some kind of workaround, I set the 'uncontrollable' parameters of the missile to zero, so it stays on course even if it looses guidance. The problem is, the missile than becomes non-targetable for CIWS, which I don't want. So I need a way to fire a long range HE missile at a position in way, in which it not looses guidance after a few meters.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Wed 1 Feb 2017 17:44

I suspect Jonas and I have run into the same issue.

The Indirect Kornet missile was always problematic. I had to make it F&F so it wouldn't dive into terrain as soon as a second missile launched and if the target is killed just as the unit launches a new missile, that missile tends to nose dive and kill the launcher. It wasn't a solution I was particularly happy with. I understand the same thing happens to AShM's in the default game too...

I couldn't get a long range cruise missile that was indirect fire. With indirect settings they'd turn invisible, fly off to who knows where and then an invisible missile would land near the aim point a minute or so later.

Other work-around had them flying through terrain and having 100% accuracy, which was very OP.

In the end I stuck with the SRBM style missiles like the Dutch Lance and decided to move away from having long range cruise missiles.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Wed 1 Feb 2017 18:35

Yeah, it's kinda difficult. I have a cruise missile launcher now, that however does not fire missiles indirectly, so it needs to have LoS. However, at least the missile can be shot down und usually stays on course. A problem that remains when you attack a position, the last missile in the salvo will allways miss and either hit the ground, fly away or destroy the launcher.

Return to “Modding”