[MOD] Wargame: 1991

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

[MOD] Wargame: 1991

Postby Eukie » Sun 8 Jul 2018 17:29

WARGAME: 1991

It’s 1991, and communism didn’t fall. Now, the world stands on the brink of a war...

WARGAME 1991 is an extensive modification of Red Dragon that updates each nation’s arsenal to their 1991 capabilities. The armoury is no longer filled with rusting T-34s and prototypes abandoned in the 1970s: Instead, troops are armed with the most modern equipment their armies could field: Infantry carry modern rifles and cutting edge anti-tank weapons, tanks load the most powerful rounds their nations can procure, and planes bristle with high-tech weapons and jammers.

Each nation has been reworked to be both a realistic picture of its real-world capabilities and function as a stand-alone fighting force. Major features include:
  • The Netherlands are joined by 17 Belgian and Luxembourgish units, forming BeNeLux,
  • Australia and New Zealand are joined by 20 units from Malaysia and Singapore, as ANZMYS, representing part of the Five Powers Defence Arrangement
  • A hard cutoff of December 1991: Nations fight with what they had, not super-tanks from the late 90s (with allowances made for Czechoslovakia, East Germany, and Poland).

(click to enlarge!)

Gameplay Improvements

WARGAME: 1991 implements a wide selection of improvements to gameplay, including:
  • When disabling their radar to hide from SEAD, many anti-aircraft systems can continue to fire with degraded performance,
  • Some artillery pieces can choose between using cluster or unitary high-explosive warheads when firing a salvo,
  • Adjusted prices and availability to make units more attractive,
  • Napalm is now a very dangerous weapon against infantry, even in cover,
  • 15-man strong squads have increased rates of fire to represent the value of extra rifles.
  • Standardized small arms and machine guns on all infantry,
  • All helicopters now land at the same speed, removing the burden of using heavy lifters,
  • Unused infantry and plane voices have been brought back,
  • Refurbished maps in addition to your old favourites,
  • And more!

Units with unique features have these represented, including:
  • The Soviet Tor system can shoot laser-guided bombs out of the sky.
  • The IDF Keres launcher shoots anti-radiation missiles from the safety of your artillery bases, serving as ground-based SEAD
  • Nations and Coalitions with no SEAD planes can still spot enemy radars with their special ELINT units.

WARGAME: 1991’s visual improvements include:
  • New skins
  • New unit cards
  • New weapon icons
  • You can choose to replace the RTS-style icons with authentic Warsaw Pact icons, for the ultimate PACT immersion

Download & Install

DOWNLOAD

Download the zip above, extract it, and run the file named ‘WargameModManager.exe’. This should automatically back up all your decks and launch the mod.

If you’ve not installed Wargame: Red Dragon in C:\Program Files\Steam..., open settings.ini and change dir:C:\Program Files\Steam… to the correct directory.

You Can Help Us!

We’re proud of WARGAME: 1991, but it could be better. You can help us by:
  • Reporting bugs,
  • Playing the mod and telling us what you think about the gameplay and balance,
  • Making skins: not all the new units have yet received skins,
  • Taking screenshots of your favourite unit in action: we can use the screenshots to make new unit cards

Join us in our Discord server and tell us what you think!

Acknowledgements

This mod would not be possible without the efforts, contributions, and time of the following people:

DEVGRU:
  • Phlogis Vobule
  • vLern Werelwen

OSINT:
  • FrangibleCover
  • Eukie
  • HrcAk47
  • H.M. Kvasius IV
  • BTR
  • Keldon

Gruppa Alfa:
  • Gigs
  • Tyrnek
  • KillingSnails
  • TechBot
  • Steppewolf

With special thanks to:
  • FFG-124(JPN), for their list of suggestions for Japan,
  • Onyx, and his knowledge of obscure North Korean equipment,
  • All the people who’ve talked on the forums about the vehicles and weapons of the nations included in WARGAME: 1991
  • throwaway, for the Mod Manager
  • Eugen, naturally enough

Last edited by Eukie on Wed 24 Oct 2018 17:16, edited 6 times in total.

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Re: [MOD] Wargame: 1991

Postby damoj » Sun 8 Jul 2018 18:16

Really interesting: can you put up a post about the new AP value schema?

Sonki3
Corporal

Postby Sonki3 » Sun 8 Jul 2018 18:18

Hey there.

This looks like an interesting mod.

Do you have a detailed list of all the changes and new stuff?

Thanks. :D
"A Roland for an Oliver."

"Wie du mir, so ich dir."

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Sun 8 Jul 2018 19:41

After scrolling through the armory for over an hour now, I am really impressed with the work that went into this. REALLY great job! From a first look I really like how the units feel. Very much ALB-like, eventhough in a RD style environment. I particularly like how West-Germany came across, offering a very realistic image of the 1990 Bundeswehr.

My first impression, therefore, is a very positive one!

In terms of feedback, I have some points:
  • Pricing of the F-16C vs. other PGM aircraft seems a bit off (compared to Harrier Gr.7, the Aussie Vaark or USSR MiG-27).
  • I kinda miss the Radar tag on the Tunguska missiles, since the Crotale got its (and rightfully so).
  • From a first impression standpoint, availability of T-72 obr. 89 (best AP/AV combo) seems a little over the top when looking at the rest of USSR tank tab (granted, I haven't played yet ;))

And finally, some small doubterino about the Yugo implementation (who would have thought,right :P): Yugoslavia managed to produce better tank ammo in 1991 than UK, FRG, Japan and some others? Or is it a balance choice?

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Sun 8 Jul 2018 20:08

Sonki3 wrote:Hey there.

This looks like an interesting mod.

Do you have a detailed list of all the changes and new stuff?

Thanks. :D

Thanks!

We don't really have a complete list of changes: pretty much everything in the game has been changed, and with 1500 units that's a lot of changes. I recommend downloading the mod and having a look!

Markenzwieback wrote:And finally, some small doubterino about the Yugo implementation (who would have thought,right :P): Yugoslavia managed to produce better tank ammo in 1991 than UK, FRG, Japan and some others? Or is it a balance choice?

An awkward breakpoint, mostly: Yugoslavian M-91 Probojna has 560 mm penetration, West German DM-33 and Japanese JM-33 have 550 mm penetration, and British L-26 has 530 mm penetration. The breakpoint for 20 AP lies at 557 mm...

damoj wrote:Really interesting: can you put up a post about the new AP value schema?

In very rough terms:

200-224: 13 AP
225-274: 14 AP
275-312: 15 AP
313-337: 16 AP
338-362: 17 AP
363-387: 18 AP
388-424: 19 AP
425-449: 20 AP
450-549: 21 AP
550-649: 22 AP
650-749: 23 AP
etc.

For HEAT. KE weapons roughly follow AP = 8.4*LN(penetration in mm at 2 km)-32.6, adjusted for range.

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Sun 8 Jul 2018 21:40

The Soviet Tor system can shoot laser-guided bombs out of the sky, and authentic Warsaw Pact icons

Wow, this is going to be an amazing mod!

I have one flavor to ask you, can you fix all the inconsistencies?
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=57347
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=60466&start=190
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58396

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 8 Jul 2018 22:29

Markenzwieback wrote:[*]From a first impression standpoint, availability of T-72 obr. 89 (best AP/AV combo) seems a little over the top when looking at the rest of USSR tank tab (granted, I haven't played yet ;))[/list]

And finally, some small doubterino about the Yugo implementation (who would have thought,right :P): Yugoslavia managed to produce better tank ammo in 1991 than UK, FRG, Japan and some others? Or is it a balance choice?

Mod is still developing, and we have two variants of pricing (for tanks). One is purely formulaic - input stats into a huge spreadsheet, and then you get a price tag, while other one was subjectively assigned to favor mediums more, so we're experimenting which approach do people prefer.

Yugo meme ammo is an offshoot of Vihor program. While Vihor got memed by the realistic big oopsie of 1991, the ammo was ready and adopted beforehand, so it was given to M-84A, while the M-84 (base) uses the older M-88 APFSDS that does 16 ap at 2275.

Feel free to drop in the Discord for a game when you get the time, there's usually people up for it. Also discussions.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 8 Jul 2018 23:05

Fodder wrote:
The Soviet Tor system can shoot laser-guided bombs out of the sky, and authentic Warsaw Pact icons

Wow, this is going to be an amazing mod!

I have one flavor to ask you, can you fix all the inconsistencies?
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=57347
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=60466&start=190
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58396

We've fixed as many as we can, whether by actual intent, wholesale rebalance or simply one of the units involved being totally reroled. However we're sure that we've probably introduced about as many inconsistencies as we fixed, so I can't guarantee we're doing better. Download it, have a look, see what seems weird!

Oh, and there's not much we can do about some of the model mistakes. So it goes.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Breo77
Staff Sergeant

Postby Breo77 » Sun 8 Jul 2018 23:19

Any chance for a campaign??

alphafoxtrot
Private First-Class

Postby alphafoxtrot » Sun 8 Jul 2018 23:53

Wait, I've seen some of this in the SB thread for Red Dragon...

Return to “Modding”