It’s 1991, and communism didn’t fall. Now, the world stands on the brink of a war...
WARGAME 1991 is an extensive modification of Red Dragon that updates each nation’s arsenal to their 1991 capabilities. The armoury is no longer filled with rusting T-34s and prototypes abandoned in the 1970s: Instead, troops are armed with the most modern equipment their armies could field: Infantry carry modern rifles and cutting edge anti-tank weapons, tanks load the most powerful rounds their nations can procure, and planes bristle with high-tech weapons and jammers.
Each nation has been reworked to be both a realistic picture of its real-world capabilities and function as a stand-alone fighting force. Major features include:
- The Netherlands are joined by 17 Belgian and Luxembourgish units, forming BeNeLux,
- Australia and New Zealand are joined by 20 units from Malaysia and Singapore, as ANZMYS, representing part of the Five Powers Defence Arrangement
- A hard cutoff of December 1991: Nations fight with what they had, not super-tanks from the late 90s (with allowances made for Czechoslovakia, East Germany, and Poland).
(click to enlarge!)
WARGAME: 1991 implements a wide selection of improvements to gameplay, including:
- When disabling their radar to hide from SEAD, many anti-aircraft systems can continue to fire with degraded performance,
- Some artillery pieces can choose between using cluster or unitary high-explosive warheads when firing a salvo,
- Adjusted prices and availability to make units more attractive,
- Napalm is now a very dangerous weapon against infantry, even in cover,
- 15-man strong squads have increased rates of fire to represent the value of extra rifles.
- Standardized small arms and machine guns on all infantry,
- All helicopters now land at the same speed, removing the burden of using heavy lifters,
- Unused infantry and plane voices have been brought back,
- Refurbished maps in addition to your old favourites,
- And more!
Units with unique features have these represented, including:
- The Soviet Tor system can shoot laser-guided bombs out of the sky.
- The IDF Keres launcher shoots anti-radiation missiles from the safety of your artillery bases, serving as ground-based SEAD
- Nations and Coalitions with no SEAD planes can still spot enemy radars with their special ELINT units.
WARGAME: 1991’s visual improvements include:
- New skins
- New unit cards
- New weapon icons
- You can choose to replace the RTS-style icons with authentic Warsaw Pact icons, for the ultimate PACT immersion
Download & Install
Download the zip above, extract it, and run the file named ‘WargameModManager.exe’. This should automatically back up all your decks and launch the mod.
If you’ve not installed Wargame: Red Dragon in C:\Program Files\Steam..., open settings.ini and change dir:C:\Program Files\Steam… to the correct directory.
You Can Help Us!
We’re proud of WARGAME: 1991, but it could be better. You can help us by:
- Reporting bugs,
- Playing the mod and telling us what you think about the gameplay and balance,
- Making skins: not all the new units have yet received skins,
- Taking screenshots of your favourite unit in action: we can use the screenshots to make new unit cards
Join us in our Discord server and tell us what you think!
This mod would not be possible without the efforts, contributions, and time of the following people:
- Phlogis Vobule
- vLern Werelwen
- H.M. Kvasius IV
With special thanks to:
- FFG-124(JPN), for their list of suggestions for Japan,
- Onyx, and his knowledge of obscure North Korean equipment,
- All the people who’ve talked on the forums about the vehicles and weapons of the nations included in WARGAME: 1991
- throwaway, for the Mod Manager
- Eugen, naturally enough