[MOD] Wargame: 1991

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Re: [MOD] Wargame: 1991

Postby damoj » Mon 9 Jul 2018 05:47

I really like a lot of what's been put out. In fact the only real criticisms I'd level are superficial.

I strongly believe unit names should be lower-case where possible.
It's good for unit name consistency, it is visually more appealing;
it is easier to differentiate between a full word (Recce, Desantniki),
an acronym (SASR, TOW),
and a partial acronym/condensed phrase (PstOhj 82M, PzBefWg Leopard 1).

Some infantry names could be shuffled around - ANZMYS "Airbourne" infantry seem to be either Aus/NZ infantry.
The former ought to be called 3RAR, RAR, or PBG, the latter 2RNZIR or RNZIR.
"Commandos" may as well be rolled into the same unit, as an abstraction of RAR/RNZIR shock troops they'd technically be the Airbourne component of ANZ.
"Diggers" and "NORFORCE" are sorely missed IMHO.

USA is similar - I don't see why Rangers should be Elite Commandos instead of Shock Light Infantry, give that back to Delta Force with the Faustmann MP5/LAW A4/Stoner 63 or Minimi combo.
I think USAF Combat Control Team (USAF CCT or just CCT) should be the Elite Recon Sniper, rather than "Delta Snipers", which sounds overly pre-pubescent.
It would also give the USAF some infantry for purely flavourful reasons, and Elite Recon Sniper is the role most suited to any USAF infantry in Wargame's scope/style of deployment.

Similar things could be said for other infantry names. Why not change Gv. Motostrelki to just Guarda?

At any rate I hope this mod is successful, good work.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Mon 9 Jul 2018 11:43

Breo77 wrote:Any chance for a campaign??

I'll certainly have a crack at overhauling a few of the vanilla campaigns to 1991 standard, without loads of French prototypes saving Korea, for example. We'll see how far I get, campaign modding is quite a challenge.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Mon 9 Jul 2018 13:38

damoj wrote:Some infantry names could be shuffled around - ANZMYS "Airbourne" infantry seem to be either Aus/NZ infantry.
The former ought to be called 3RAR, RAR, or PBG, the latter 2RNZIR or RNZIR.
"Commandos" may as well be rolled into the same unit, as an abstraction of RAR/RNZIR shock troops they'd technically be the Airbourne component of ANZ.

Airborne are the PBG, Commandos is one of the Australian regiments that draws its traditions from the Royal Marine Commandos. Differences aren't huge, but the ANZMYS roster is a bit thin.

damoj wrote:Diggers" and "NORFORCE" are sorely missed IMHO.

"Diggers" is certainly a unique name but it came down to Diggers with M72A2 LAW in M113 30/50 versus Troopers with Armbrust in M113s, V-200 Commandos, and even better M113s. There was just no point in keeping the Digger beyond unit-diversity.

NORFORCE are territorial reservist units defending one specific part of Australia. They really shouldn't be the reconnaissance assets of the Australian Army efforts in South Korea or similar.

damoj wrote:give that back to Delta Force with the Faustmann MP5/LAW A4/Stoner 63 or Minimi combo.

M72A4 LAW is not part of the US arsenal in 1991. They bought AT-4s from the perfidious Swedes instead.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Mon 9 Jul 2018 15:03

Spent some more time browsing through the changes and testing out the new stuff.

While toned down (no more Napalm on TOS-1, me gusta mucho!), the Soviet support tab now really seems to have an on-spot realism approach to it. Cluster rounds for Malka seem to be perfectly balanced in terms of damage, as they failed to kill a heavy tank with four shots of two guns (just good enough to remove arty and light stuff though). The new PGM-round for one of the older systems also is neat for striking specific targets, but is balanced out by ROF and aim-time nicely. And MSTA-S can now properly act as mobile fire support, just as it should. All in all, another job very well done!

The same can be said for airborne decks. From what I looked at so far, both USSR and Eurocorps have very realistic, interesting and seemingly capable line-ups. I'll have to test those out some time... :)

Markenzwieback wrote:
Spoiler : :
In terms of feedback, I have some points:
  • Pricing of the F-16C vs. other PGM aircraft seems a bit off (compared to Harrier Gr.7, the Aussie Vaark or USSR MiG-27).
  • I kinda miss the Radar tag on the Tunguska missiles, since the Crotale got its (and rightfully so).
  • From a first impression standpoint, availability of T-72 obr. 89 (best AP/AV combo) seems a little over the top when looking at the rest of USSR tank tab (granted, I haven't played yet ;))

And finally, some small doubterino about the Yugo implementation (who would have thought,right :P): Yugoslavia managed to produce better tank ammo in 1991 than UK, FRG, Japan and some others? Or is it a balance choice?

Adding to that, you should have a look at M270 availability and pricing across different nations, as they are very inconsistent right now. Further, I seem to have missed the obr. 89 range of 2100m, which, again, balances out the AP power quite a bit. Still think the Tunguska should have its missile changed to be radar though.

HrcAk47 wrote:Feel free to drop in the Discord for a game when you get the time, there's usually people up for it. Also discussions.

I'll definitely drop by when I find the time. Don't count on me becomming a regular though, as I am currently quite busy . :?

Sir Typhoon
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Sir Typhoon » Tue 10 Jul 2018 22:07

Hi, I didn't try the mod, but I'm sure that it would be good. However I have a proposal, since squads are formed by 10 men, 1 is carrying the AT gun and Machine gun, so the are 9 men that only carry their riffles, i think it would be logic if any 10 men squads load with 9 AT ammo.

Edit: I am looking it, and I encounter 1 inconsistency: Riflemen and Mech Riflemen have a more availability in Bradleys (20) than in the M113A3 ACAV (16). AVAC year is 1991, but it's a lot less powerful than Bradleys. I suggest 20 for AVAC and 16 and 12 for the Bradleys.

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Wed 11 Jul 2018 03:07

Only 3 Self Propelled HAWK were ever built by the USA, and shortly after were remove from service. The only other nation that operated them is Israel. I purpose that only nations to have MIM-23 HAWK missiles is Israel and USA.

U.S. Army fielded several Self-Propelled HAWK Platoons. These consist of three M727 vehicles, based on M548 tracked Cargo Carrier..... They have now withdrawn from service. Israeli is believed to have a number of these SP launchers still in service.

http://www.mil-mod.nl/hawk-missile/

In 1967, the U.S. Army tested a self-propelled Hawk ("SP-HAWK") system, which mounted the launchers on tracked M727 (modified M548 transports) vehicles. The first Hawk units were equipped with SP-HAWK in 1969, but the system is no longer in service.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-23.html
Last edited by Fodder on Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 11 Jul 2018 09:02

Fodder wrote:Only 3 Self Propelled HAWK were ever built by the USA, and the only other nation that operated them is Israel. I purpose that only nations to have MIM-23 HAWK missiles is Israel and USA.

U.S. Army fielded several Self-Propelled HAWK Platoons. These consist of three M727 vehicles, based on M548 tracked Cargo Carrier..... They have now withdrawn from service. Israeli is believed to have a number of these SP launchers still in service.

http://www.mil-mod.nl/hawk-missile/

In 1967, the U.S. Army tested a self-propelled Hawk ("SP-HAWK") system, which mounted the launchers on tracked M727 (modified M548 transports) vehicles. The first Hawk units were equipped with SP-HAWK in 1969, but the system is no longer in service.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-23.html

Absolutely not. We're unable to simulate the towed HAWK batteries that would form the main anti aircraft defence of every BLU nation except the UK and Canada, so our choices are either to leave them swinging in the wind (but for the US and Israel) or give them HAWKs on the M727 chassis to represent the capability without representing the unit. From both an authenticity and a gameplay perspective that seems like a clear choice to me. Eugen made the same decision and were absolutely right in doing so.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Wed 11 Jul 2018 14:08

Buff Bushmaster AP damage output plz.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 11 Jul 2018 14:23

KattiValk wrote:Buff Bushmaster AP damage output plz.

Technically done, since we added TOW-2A to Bradleys, making them much better at putting out AP damage. LAV-25s also have greatly increased AP damage now that they can get more than three shots off without exploding.

Coletrain
Staff Sergeant

Postby Coletrain » Wed 11 Jul 2018 17:41

KattiValk wrote:Buff Bushmaster AP damage output plz.

When you put the gun into context of the broader balance of this mod, there is no need IMO. Other than the WZ-551, this mod got rid of every other wheeled autocannon unit so the LAV-25 has just become top of the food chain by default. Buffing the bushmaster would give the US too much of an advantage in the motorized department IMO. WZ-551 being the strongest wheeled autocannon makes more sense, since Red Dragons need every advantage they can get due to not having any heavy tanks.

Of course there are still tracked vehicles with stronger autocannons, but there are plenty of ways to deal with those.

Return to “Modding”