Question on modding missiles

beares
Sergeant First-Class

Question on modding missiles

Postby beares » Sat 13 Oct 2018 19:15

Hey guys, I've been experimenting with some modifications on the game and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to modify missiles in the game by giving them e.g. stealth (specifically antiship missiles vs CIWS/AA missiles)? I've looked around the forums and haven't found anything on the topic.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Question on modding missiles

Postby Sireyn » Mon 15 Oct 2018 14:36

That is a very interesting question, but I don't know if its possible. You should find something with a stealth rating and copy it's Visibility module to the missile's TUniteDescriptor's module list.

I don't think missiles are spotted in the same way as normal units because you can see its model without line of sight. If it is possible, I expect it to require more complicated changes.

beares
Sergeant First-Class

Postby beares » Mon 15 Oct 2018 21:14

Thank you for the response!

I'll try it out during the weekend (work prevents me from trying earlier) and post updates on the results.

beares
Sergeant First-Class

Postby beares » Sun 21 Oct 2018 15:58

Update on my experiments:

I added a visibility module to the missiles TUniteDescriptor list. While the game could be launched, as soon as the airplane in question was about to fire its weapon, the game crashed. Unfortunately it does not seem possible. Would have been a potentially interesting modding option otherwise.

Thanks for the response, it was worth a shot!

EDIT: Scratch that, I may have managed to get it to work, although it seems overpowered. Even "good" stealth (same module as Lafayette) renders the missiles invisible to enemy CIWS and [DEF]-tag SAMs (ECM still works).

Sireyn
Master Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Sun 21 Oct 2018 23:08

Thank you for confirming that it works. I wonder if the invisibility has something to do with the way units are spotted. There might be a flag you can add that allows a unit's Scanner module to work against missiles.

https://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=42266&p=1032526&hilit=atgm+ciws#p1032526
View this to see to see what I mean about flags. 57 allows the missile to be targeted and 10 allows it to be shot down.