Modding Issues and Questions

Sireyn
Sergeant Major

Re: Modding Issues and Questions

Postby Sireyn » Sun 6 Oct 2019 05:41

3xANikolai wrote:1. So after realising that a new patch was released (Issues with focus), my mod has become outdated, however in saying that, what is the best way to update my mod? Start on the new updated version or work with the existing mod and update for what was changed?

2. If I was to change for example Tiran 5 Blazer (Israel Recon Tank) into a Tank, are these the following instances I would only need to change:

-Factory
-TypeForAcknow
-TypeUnit (Module)
-CompanyUnit (Module)
- IAStratmodule (Module)
- Other unit specs like: ZZ.Win (Name) Scanner + ScannerConfiguration (Module) and Visibilty (Module)

I know that within these folders we have further stuff that needs to be changed for example like IAStrat and Labels. If there is more instances to change or if I have done any wrong changes, it would be great to hear from someone.

1. The best method is whatever is the least amount of work, but it will involve redoing your work or the original mod author's.

2. Check the Flags (Module) and Position (Module). I am in the habit of comparing units side by side on every unit conversion so I have not made a list of everything to be changed.

libbmaster wrote:I have another question: the ash and shadows mod claims that they changed how AP damage is calculated, but the mod authors haven't gotten back to me. Do you know how they would have gone about doing that? Can you really change the damage calculation for AP attacks? And can you also change other special rules for AP weapons, like [HEAT] always dealing at least 1 damage to targets or [KE] increasing its damage with range?

TFloatArmeArmureContainer and TGameplayArmeArmureContainer contain the damage table for HE and AP, respectively. On the AP table, the horizontal axis is the armor value and the vertical is the AP value, which includes kinetic and HEAT. Each coordinate value is the final damage, so it's not a calculation, it's a simple reference table.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Sun 6 Oct 2019 07:19

Sireyn wrote:
TFloatArmeArmureContainer and TGameplayArmeArmureContainer contain the damage table for HE and AP, respectively. On the AP table, the horizontal axis is the armor value and the vertical is the AP value, which includes kinetic and HEAT. Each coordinate value is the final damage, so it's not a calculation, it's a simple reference table.

First - holy *crap* I did not know that. I should have asked sooner, thank you!

Second - how did you get the editor to display that chart?

EDIT: can't make heads or tails of the HE module. These are damage resistances... per armor value? I think?

Sireyn
Sergeant Major

Postby Sireyn » Sun 6 Oct 2019 15:22

libbmaster wrote:First - holy *crap* I did not know that. I should have asked sooner, thank you!

Second - how did you get the editor to display that chart?

EDIT: can't make heads or tails of the HE module. These are damage resistances... per armor value? I think?

Double click on the Instance number. This doesn't work for the HE table.

I haven't messed with the HE table myself, but my best guess is that each map is a kind of target, each number value is a damage multiplier, and from top to bottom is an armor value. Alternatively, this might affect the damage scaling with distance from the center of the explosion. If anyone knows for certain, I'd appreciate knowing.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 16 Oct 2019 00:43

Sireyn wrote:
Double click on the Instance number. This doesn't work for the HE table.

I haven't messed with the HE table myself, but my best guess is that each map is a kind of target, each number value is a damage multiplier, and from top to bottom is an armor value. Alternatively, this might affect the damage scaling with distance from the center of the explosion. If anyone knows for certain, I'd appreciate knowing.

How much do you know about texture modding? I'm getting a crash when trying to change the icon of a unit.

I followed the tutorial as closely as I could - the UI for paint.net has changed since the thread was made, and the compression options listed in the tutorial aren't available to me, so I chose the closest fit - but my game still crashes when I load into the armory.

I suspect that this has something to do with the upload process: whenever I replace the icon's picture file in the editor, its file size drops from 7 Kb to 72 Bites. If I extract the picture I just uploaded, I get an error trying to open it in paint.net!

Sireyn
Sergeant Major

Postby Sireyn » Wed 16 Oct 2019 23:19

libbmaster wrote:How much do you know about texture modding? I'm getting a crash when trying to change the icon of a unit.

I followed the tutorial as closely as I could - the UI for paint.net has changed since the thread was made, and the compression options listed in the tutorial aren't available to me, so I chose the closest fit - but my game still crashes when I load into the armory.

I suspect that this has something to do with the upload process: whenever I replace the icon's picture file in the editor, its file size drops from 7 Kb to 72 Bites. If I extract the picture I just uploaded, I get an error trying to open it in paint.net!

I haven't tried to edit icons, but I have used Photoshop to edit unit textures. When you open the ZZ in the Modding Suite, double click on the texture you want to extract. It should then extract in an editable format.

Assuming Paint.net can edit the file, it should be as easy as saving your changes and replacing the original through the Modding Suite. For unit textures, I saved as DTX5 without mipmaps. With unit icons, you may need to save in DTX1, assuming there is no alpha channel.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Sun 20 Oct 2019 02:11

Sireyn wrote:I haven't tried to edit icons, but I have used Photoshop to edit unit textures. When you open the ZZ in the Modding Suite, double click on the texture you want to extract. It should then extract in an editable format.

Assuming Paint.net can edit the file, it should be as easy as saving your changes and replacing the original through the Modding Suite. For unit textures, I saved as DTX5 without mipmaps. With unit icons, you may need to save in DTX1, assuming there is no alpha channel.

No dice, I'm still getting a crash to desktop when opening the armory.

I can extract the file fine, edit it fine, but something goes wrong after I upload.

Here's what I'm doing (following the tutorial as close as I can):

>Open ZZ_4.dat in modding suite
>Extract commoninterface.ppk
>Open ppk in the modding suite
>Find ranger's 2D icon
>Extract icon, make changes in paint.net, save as DTX1 (as in tutorial)
>Replace icon file in ppk
>Replace ppk in ZZ_4.dat
>launch mod in Wargame mod manager

Some important notes:

-I'm using the replace option under "textures" in the modding suite. (The little photo icon in the top bar)
-When I replace the icon file with my edit in the ppk, the file size drops dramatically.
-If I re-extract the file, I cannot open it in paint.net
-I've tried uploading exactly the same file as the one I extracted - without opening it in paint.net - and this issue still happens.

When you upload a texture file, does the file size change at all? If you extract your edited file, can you edit it? I think this is where something is going wrong.

Sireyn
Sergeant Major

Postby Sireyn » Sun 20 Oct 2019 04:24

Having never replaced a unit icon, I followed what you did and it worked for me. Strangly, the icon was made darker. I used the ZZ_4 in 510060540\510061340.

- I have a disk error when I re-extract an original file. If I first open the dds and save without changes, I can re-extract and edit
- The file size being compressed is normal (unless it compresses to almost null)

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Sun 20 Oct 2019 19:40

Sireyn wrote:Having never replaced a unit icon, I followed what you did and it worked for me.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere - I have something to compare my experience to!

Sireyn wrote: Strangly, the icon was made darker. I used the ZZ_4 in 510060540\510061340.

The tutorial I'm working off mentions that actually - but it says it only happens if you don't save as DXT1, which I'm assuming you did. The tutorial's old, so maybe paint.net has changed in some way?

I used the same ZZ_4 file, so no issues there I think.

Sireyn wrote:- I have a disk error when I re-extract an original file. If I first open the dds and save without changes, I can re-extract and edit
- The file size being compressed is normal (unless it compresses to almost null)

That's actually not where my issue is happening.

When I open the commoninterface file with the modding suite, this is what the ranger file looks like for me:

When I extract it, this is what I get. (Again, everything works up to this point!)

But then, when I upload a new file this MASSIVE drop in file size happens:

Trying to launch the game after that causes a crash when I load the armory. Extracting that file in the third pic gives me a dds file of about 1Kb that cannot be opened in paint.net

I have NO idea why this happens - I'm following literally all the same steps that I outlined above - and it worked for you!

Sireyn
Sergeant Major

Postby Sireyn » Sun 20 Oct 2019 22:45

libbmaster wrote:
Sireyn wrote: Strangly, the icon was made darker. I used the ZZ_4 in 510060540\510061340.

The tutorial I'm working off mentions that actually - but it says it only happens if you don't save as DXT1, which I'm assuming you did. The tutorial's old, so maybe paint.net has changed in some way?

I used the same ZZ_4 file, so no issues there I think.

I tried in both DTX1 and DTX5 with the same result.

libbmaster wrote:But then, when I upload a new file this MASSIVE drop in file size happens:

Trying to launch the game after that causes a crash when I load the armory. Extracting that file in the third pic gives me a dds file of about 1Kb that cannot be opened in paint.net

I have NO idea why this happens - I'm following literally all the same steps that I outlined above - and it worked for you!

That level of compression is not normal. You mentioned before that you are importing through the texture icon, but make sure you are exporting by double clicking on the texture in the ppk, not using the texture exporter button.

When the texture is imported, it is being converted, so I am thinking that the conversion is not functioning for however Paint.net is saving your file. If you could upload your edited dds file, I could try to import it on my end. If it doesn't import for me, I can try opening and saving through Photoshop to see if there is a difference.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Mon 21 Oct 2019 07:40

Sireyn wrote:That level of compression is not normal. You mentioned before that you are importing through the texture icon, but make sure you are exporting by double clicking on the texture in the ppk, not using the texture exporter button.

When the texture is imported, it is being converted, so I am thinking that the conversion is not functioning for however Paint.net is saving your file. If you could upload your edited dds file, I could try to import it on my end. If it doesn't import for me, I can try opening and saving through Photoshop to see if there is a difference.

First - I had no idea I was supposed to be exporting with a double click instead of the export option? There's a difference?

Second - I tried exporting via double click: replacing the file in the ppk with the exported file (EVEN if I didn't touch the exported file with paint.net) produced the same results.

I've even tried redownloading the modding suite - still got the same issue.

Here's a link to the replacement picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EL2qq ... EGfbpaufY8

I'm not sure that it maters, since my issue seems to be unrelated to the changes I made to the pic, but perhaps it'll work for you?

Return to “Modding”