Can't get helos to change altitude

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Can't get helos to change altitude

Postby libbmaster » Tue 22 Sep 2020 07:42

Might have broken something - but I don't know what!

The "change alt" button is greyed out. I've already checked the ModernWarfareOrderable - both "can go up" and "can go down" are set to true. Max/min altitudes in the MovementHandeler module are also set to different values.

Is there something else I forgot to check? All of the helicopters in my mod are broken right now, I can't remember what I might have done, and I'd rather not rebuild from scratch... :?

Polyphene
Private First-Class

Re: Can't get helos to change altitude

Postby Polyphene » Fri 25 Sep 2020 09:13

Check the Position module and the instances in TGameplayTerrain if you did modify those.

You really should have multiple incremental copies of your NDF and a list of your changes to make sure you can revert. ;)

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Mon 28 Sep 2020 09:56

Polyphene wrote:Check the Position module and the instances in TGameplayTerrain if you did modify those.

Bah - checked both of those against a backup file, but nothing seems amiss.

Polyphene wrote:You really should have multiple incremental copies of your NDF and a list of your changes to make sure you can revert. ;)

My increments weren't incremental enough! :cry:

In the meantime, I've observed some very bizarre behavior from helicopters in my mod:
- when deployed over terrain which prevents them from hovering low, they'll always hover low when moved over clear ground.
- when deployed over terrain which allows them to hover low, they'll never hover low - always remaining at max height.

This sounds like I should check TGameplayTerrain again, doesn't it? Nothing was out of the ordinary, and I don't remember editing the file, but I guess I should go back over it when I'm less tired...

Polyphene
Private First-Class

Postby Polyphene » Mon 28 Sep 2020 10:56

Care to share the NDF ? I could take a look.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 30 Sep 2020 00:47

Polyphene wrote:Care to share the NDF ? I could take a look.

Absolutely - thank you for the help!

Here's the download: https://github.com/libbmaster/LIBBERATI ... DF_Win.dat

Also: I pulled up the earliest version of my mod I had on hand, and it had this same issue as well - even though my first pass featured nothing but availability changes!

I tested helicopters in the vanilla game and the behavior I mentioned earlier - with helis picking different hover alts based on where they were deployed - that seems to be a thing there too. So the only issue here is that the "change alt" button isn't working.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Tue 2 Feb 2021 01:40

Just checking back in to say - I discovered the issue!

... It's because I removed the fuel module from the helis.

You can see this bizarre behavior for yourself in vanilla: cargo helicopters have no fuel module, and thus cannot be manually ordered to change altitude!

Might actually try logging this as a bug lol. After all, even command helicopters can change altitude.

Sireyn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Sireyn » Tue 2 Feb 2021 08:02

libbmaster wrote:
... It's because I removed the fuel module from the helis.

I wouldn't have guessed. Thanks for posting your findings!

Return to “Modding”