Run your own dedicated server !

TwojaStara
First Sergeant

Re: Run your own dedicated server !

Postby TwojaStara » Sat 19 Apr 2014 12:18

can someone post how much resources does it need for typical 4v4 or 10v10? Is it just some sort of "comunication hub" or rather full blown simulation engine coming with maps, etc?

a) HDD space required?
b) RAM required?
c) how much CPU does it typically use?

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Sat 19 Apr 2014 12:26

TwojaStara wrote:can someone post how much resources does it need for typical 4v4 or 10v10? Is it just some sort of "comunication hub" or rather full blown simulation engine coming with maps, etc?

a) HDD space required?
b) RAM required?
c) how much CPU does it typically use?

no it doesn't actually run a game instance, it's more comparable to just shuttling data back and forth between clients.

a) the binary is less than a megabyte, the replays and logs can add up quickly if you choose to keep them
b) few megabytes per instance
c) negligible, you could probably run a thousand instances on a decent cpu
d) you need about 10KB/s of upstream bandwidth for every active player

Discohydra
Staff Sergeant

Postby Discohydra » Sat 19 Apr 2014 20:22

How well would this play with Linux Mint Debian Edition?

Khorney
Private

Postby Khorney » Sun 20 Apr 2014 01:31

would it be possible to run this in a VM with relatively small impact if its just for hosting small games with friends?

DeChache
Private

Postby DeChache » Sun 20 Apr 2014 03:38

What are the prereqs for the getting the server to run. I just tried running it on a basic debian 7 install (No gui just base) it doesn't seem to want to run. I'm re installing now with the desktop environment but would prefer to just run what is needed since this will be internet facing.

DeChache
Private

Postby DeChache » Sun 20 Apr 2014 05:03

I figured it out. I was running a 64 bit copy of debian and the binary file was 32 bit. Rebuilt as a 32bit system after I couldn't get the 32 bit bianrys to install. Now to figure out how to not run as root.

And to figure out what ports besides the one specified need to be let through the firewall.

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Sun 20 Apr 2014 12:39

hello dear server masters,
please host some more interesting lobbys,
right now we have a million 10 vs 10 lobbys
cool would be 3 vs 3 4 vs 4 5 vs 5 6 vs 6 lobbys with different settings like
high starting points low income and low startings ponts medium income
on some good maps

edit: a filter to see only severs would be nice too
WTF?

WarStalkeR
Corporal

Postby WarStalkeR » Sun 20 Apr 2014 14:26

DeChache wrote:I figured it out. I was running a 64 bit copy of debian and the binary file was 32 bit. Rebuilt as a 32bit system after I couldn't get the 32 bit bianrys to install. Now to figure out how to not run as root.

And to figure out what ports besides the one specified need to be let through the firewall.

This topic holds information that might help you with everything you need about server, even though it's aimed for CentOS, for me Linux is always Linux: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=43971

Create user with name "wargame" for example, set up the password and then run "su wargame" in console, and now every process you will run, you will run as "wargame" user.
"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers

Uncle_Joe
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Tue 22 Apr 2014 03:51

Can we please get a filter added for player-run vs Eugen run? There must be a dozen or more random player servers with all kinds of goofy settings that just clutter up the list of 10v10s.
"Don't you know that in the Service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

TKN_Jez
Corporal

Postby TKN_Jez » Tue 22 Apr 2014 11:40

Khorney wrote:would it be possible to run this in a VM with relatively small impact if its just for hosting small games with friends?

I did it in the past with the WAB dedicated ones, on a quite high end comupter (512go SSD (samsung 840 pro), nVidia 680 GTX and 16go of ram) it went very well, with nat loopback on my router activated I could play with my mates without any problem. But without nato loopback (e.g. if your router doesn't support it), it's impossible.

DeChache wrote:Now to figure out how to not run as root.

As Warstalker, I personnally created my user "wargame" with its "/home/wargame" directory, and a script that I registred on the init.d that does effectively a su wargame before launching the script that launches the wargame binary.

DeChache wrote:And to figure out what ports besides the one specified need to be let through the firewall.

I've had nothing to open personnaly, but I guess that there are only the local port, and the eugen - reserved one (10804) that may need to be opened, maybe a service-socket area? But as i'm not a network pro I don't really know about this.

Spektre wrote:hello dear server masters,
please host some more interesting lobbys,
right now we have a million 10 vs 10 lobbys
cool would be 3 vs 3 4 vs 4 5 vs 5 6 vs 6 lobbys with different settings like
high starting points low income and low startings ponts medium income
on some good maps

There's a "[RESEAU DISSIDENT]" server hosting a 5v5 on floods aka "Vagi*a bay" :p with 4K points and low income preset, conquest and 762 point limit. Tell me if this goes right for your convenience bro ;)

Return to “Dedicated Server”