About Bandwidth

TWL007
Private First-Class

About Bandwidth

Postby TWL007 » Wed 13 Aug 2014 07:49

How many bandwidth do I need to host a 10v10 game? I need this information to buy bandwidth....... :?

Thanks~~

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Re: About Bandwidth

Postby bin.zwieda » Wed 13 Aug 2014 23:33

well, it´s simple: the more, the better!
;)

just to be sure: take care, that you´ll get goot upload AND good download speeds (= in both directions)

i have an 50Mbit download and 5 Mbit upload line at home, i can run my server up to 9v9 with it.
be sure to have a "reasonable" cpu, to run your server, RAM is not really critical.
if you can get 8-10 Mbit upload speed, take it!
;)

what IS critical for your connection: when you get the new line, check, if you have any packetloss.
use something like this here to check it...
http://www.pingtest.net/

if you have any packetloss, you´ll most probably have more or less problems.
be it, people get disconnects from running matches or something alike.

so: the "quality" of your line is more important that it´s speed.
if you can have a "good" line, get something like 25-100 Mbit download and 8-16 Mbit upload...
this way, you´ll be at the safe side for sure.
:twisted:

TWL007
Private First-Class

Postby TWL007 » Sun 17 Aug 2014 16:41

Thanks for replying my post. ^^

I mailed supporting and tested the Bandwidth. If I want to host a 10v10, I need to have 1.5Mbps upload and 500Kbps download (from the server's view). Now I create a Chinese Server and can host 1 10v10 game.

Thanks for your tool, it's really helpful. ^^ :D

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Tue 19 Aug 2014 22:48

TWL007 wrote:Thanks for replying my post. ^^

I mailed supporting and tested the Bandwidth. If I want to host a 10v10, I need to have 1.5Mbps upload and 500Kbps download (from the server's view). Now I create a Chinese Server and can host 1 10v10 game.

Thanks for your tool, it's really helpful. ^^ :D

uhm, so you wanna have a line, 1,5 Mbit upload and 500 kBit download?

well, for a tetris server, this may work...

for RD, take those speeds per player... not per server.
30 Mbit download and 10 Mbit upload will be some reasonalble entry level, as mentioned.
a bit more will be a bit better.

but i don´t wanna force you to have fun on your server, for sure.

TWL007
Private First-Class

Postby TWL007 » Thu 21 Aug 2014 06:25

:D In fact, I have not played 1 turn on my server since I created this server........ I monitored the server's status these days. I calculate the bandwidth through the log and make a conclude: 1mb can support 10 players. If I want to support 10 v10, I only have 2mb is Ok. But now I want to update the bandwidth to 5mb so that I can handle 50 players play game at the same time. ^^ My server's download is unlimited, so I only need to consider the upload bandwidth.

The biggest problem I find is some countries' connection is bad. I cannot solve this problem by updating the bandwidth. :( Maybe I will try to optimize the Debian kernel to correct this situation. Also I am trying to write a web page to show server's situation. If I am done, I will release the web page and script on the forum. ^^ I really think they should add timestamps into server log. :twisted:

If you have time, pleases come to my server and have fun. :D We really hope you can play with us~~~~~~

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Tue 26 Aug 2014 12:06

well, theory and real life may be two completely different stories...
:P

my calculations are purely based on real-life-experience on my and some buddies servers.

also, i will really love to join your server, when it´s running 50 players, as you mentioned.
especially, as you don´t post any names of it, it will be extremely famous and popular very soon...

have fun!
:lol:

bflance
Corporal

Postby bflance » Fri 12 Sep 2014 23:43

i simply got private virtual server at digital ocean for 5 bucks a months and i have unlimited traffic and very fast connection with public IP in europe (or us).

also can use that server for proxying (for hulu or purchases,etc.)

also, dont have to run my home pc for game server 24/7 and have electric bill as well as home internet bandwidtch used up.

Return to “Dedicated Server”