Sent email 10hrs ago, how long does it take to get an SD44 server key? Can I run the server & play off same system?

Destraex
Sergeant Major of the Army

Sent email 10hrs ago, how long does it take to get an SD44 server key? Can I run the server & play off same system?

Postby Destraex » Sun 14 Jan 2018 01:04

Hi Guys,

I sent an email to eugsupport@eugen.fr <eugsupport@eugen.fr> to try to get a dedicated server key from Eugen as advertised on their website. Do the support guys only work 9-5 weekdays? Just curious if the process has changed?

Also can I run the server in virtualbox at the same time as connecting to it via windows10 that it is hosted on? I want to host a server for my friends so we can do more than 4 vs AI ... because I now have more than 4 friends that are casual and also new to the game.
So I really want 6-7 humans vs AI. I thought if I hosted a server (they are all Australian) that I could also connect to it on the same server to play along with my friends?

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Re: Sent email 10hrs ago, how long does it take to get an SD44 server key? Can I run the server & play off same system?

Postby Shifu » Sun 14 Jan 2018 15:43

Yes, support is only available during french office hours (Monday - Friday). They might also take a few days to respond (as your issue is non-critical). Drop a post in this topic when you didn't hear anything for one week. To my knowledge, nothing in the process of acquiring a key has changed.

Yes, it is possible to run a server and the game at the same time (there are some downsides, though). This guide should achieve exactly what you want: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =324948531

In this subforum, you will find various tools which can help you. Also various problems and solutions, in case you run into anything.

However, note, as far as I know, dedicated servers have no AI support and there are currently no plans to implement this.

Destraex

Re: Sent email 10hrs ago, how long does it take to get an SD44 server key? Can I run the server & play off same system?

Postby Destraex » Mon 15 Jan 2018 00:29

Thank you for the response.

No support for AI in 10 v 10 and nothing planned? That is a real shame. It prevents noobs from experiencing 4-10 v 4-10 size maps.
I guess my friends have to get their clocks cleaned to experience the 10v10 epicness.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Mon 15 Jan 2018 16:50

Yeah, especially beginners could profit, but unfortunately, if it isn't implemented yet, I doubt they'll implement it at all..

I've just seen that I didn't provide the source - here you go: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=44683
Admittedly, the topic is quite dated (~4 years old), but unless I missed something, nothing changed.

Anyway, I just remembered that in Wargame: European Escalation 7 humans vs 1 AI was possible by setting up a 4:4 and everyone switching into the non-AI team. Not having played anything for ages, I have absolutely no idea whether this quite random piece of information could help you lol

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Tue 16 Jan 2018 00:13

Thanks Shifu. I might try that in Steel Division.

I am also hoping that map editors may eventually be available. Because elevation and interesting terrain is another thing that contributes to these games being "flash in the pans". Everybody wants to play them and buys them but the lack of maps makes it hard to keep playing. Take out the duplicate or flipped maps and their are only a dozen or so.

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Tue 16 Jan 2018 15:45

Works in Steel and Red Dragon. Awesome stuff.
But the other side has less players.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Thu 18 Jan 2018 23:47

Map editor surely would be great, but not sure whether we'll see one at some point. Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to overcome this 8 player limit without using dedicated servers. Anyway, enjoy the games! :)

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Thu 25 Jan 2018 11:43

No email from Eugen still . But it's not terribly important now anyways.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Tue 30 Jan 2018 11:41

I've informed Eugen staff about it, however, you may want to consider resending the mail.