Achieving an element of SEAD

The_Immortal_Shrike
Private First-Class

Achieving an element of SEAD

Postby The_Immortal_Shrike » Sat 24 Feb 2018 03:43

Hello all,

So I'm trying to figure out what the hell went wrong when I started playing a few MP games last night. Let's make no mistake - I got spanked. Absolutely spanked. For some reason, my teammates saw it fit to occupy forests rather than play objectives (at one point, their obsession with the peripheral allowed a few red players to simply stomp right through the middle of the map and take our spawn point (I had some units pushing the middle early on but somehow only had +1 supply despite having at least +7 in zones) so they all got wiped early on by some KA50s. Add some serious coordination, smoke cover and micro to the mix and I just didn't have the resources to stop them - at least not on my own. A frustrating experience overall.

The problem I want to dwell on though is SEAD - pure AtG. One of the reasons I picked up W:RD was because I'd watched some co-op gameplay of the Airland Battle campaign in which this element featured strongly. I can't seem to even get a Prowler to target anything. A targeting cursor doesn't come up at all so the use I resort to, which I presume is naive and stupid, is to send the Prowler into the area and hope the leading air causes the AA to pop up so the former can engage and destroy same accordingly. Perhaps the enemy is mainly using optical and IR AA, sure, but I'm generally struggling to find any use for them and I feel like I'm throwing buckets of points away. Does anybody have any tips as to how to pick a radar target? I'm still relatively new so I don't know the enemy decks quite so well to pick up the unit type from name alone.

Thanks in advance.

Shrike.
The_Immortal_Strike

"Ever since World War I, superior force is no longer measured in terms of men or horses, but in the means to wreak destruction". - Saul David

evilcat
Private

Re: Achieving an element of SEAD

Postby evilcat » Sat 24 Feb 2018 09:35

It is possible that enemy does not use radar AA. There is several quite good aa pieces of such, not even mention manpads.
What is other possibility that enemy is switching off their radar AA, if radar weapon is inactive it cant be targeted by SEAD.
How to deal with it:
send bomber/at first and when they active radar then strike.
scout where the aa is and get it with ATACMS or Paladin

if enemys micro is on point it will still be not enought but can try.

The_Immortal_Shrike
Private First-Class

Re: Achieving an element of SEAD

Postby The_Immortal_Shrike » Sat 24 Feb 2018 10:05

evilcat wrote:It is possible that enemy does not use radar AA. There is several quite good aa pieces of such, not even mention manpads.
What is other possibility that enemy is switching off their radar AA, if radar weapon is inactive it cant be targeted by SEAD.
How to deal with it:
send bomber/at first and when they active radar then strike.
scout where the aa is and get it with ATACMS or Paladin

if enemys micro is on point it will still be not enought but can try.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing I'm noticing is that my opponents' micros are outstanding. I'll keep trying!
The_Immortal_Strike

"Ever since World War I, superior force is no longer measured in terms of men or horses, but in the means to wreak destruction". - Saul David