New players: tips to vastly increase your fun

KeyLord
Command Sergeant Major

New players: tips to vastly increase your fun

Postby KeyLord » Wed 23 Apr 2014 14:30

If you're having trouble winning a game, or you are confused about the mechanics, the biggest tips I can give you is Host your own lobby
and Kick/ban players higher than rank 3-5, or more than 20 matches (Or whatever you feel is most appropriate)

This game isn't easy and it's difficult not to get frustrated without winning a few matches. Playing against people at the same skill level as you is the best thing you can do. Call the lobby "NOOB GAME".

Don't worry about your connection not being up to scratch, it makes zero difference whether someone joins or hosts a game as the game is purely Peer-to-peer once the game launches- The network is always as bad as the player's with the worse internet. Still, don't worry about it.

Once you start getting better, host a lobby with a normal title but kick teamstackers. You can usually tell a game is stacked when an entire team joins all at once, or people have similar ranks. Also, you could just ask them.

Also, don't go joining stacked lobbies when you're on your own. Get some players together, and join a stacked lobby. It really puts your skills and teamwork to the test, and you can get a lot of satisfaction from it.

Doing this makes it fair for you, and fair for other new players who are looking for somewhere to enjoy themselves without losing terribly.

I wish I knew this advice when I was playing ALB, as it took me a long time to get good at wargame, until I finally realised I was part of the problem - Joining stacked games unaware and getting thrashed.

For some this may seem like obvious advice, but for players that are new to RTS especially, this stuff isn't always obvious.

Jereth
Lieutenant

Re: New players: tips to vastly increase your fun

Postby Jereth » Wed 23 Apr 2014 14:45

Sounds like good advice to me.

[shameless plug] Also, take advantage of New Player Night, an event run by community veterans to try and help out anybody who needs it! [/shameless plug]

DanJLloyd
Sergeant Major

Postby DanJLloyd » Wed 23 Apr 2014 14:49

Even if you are in a game/lobby with more experienced players, it might be worth asking them some simple questions about where to improve for the future. I have played against newish people a lot recently, and I try to help them in certain areas about attacking and defending whenever I fend off their attack/destroy their defences.

comcolonel
Corporal

Postby comcolonel » Wed 23 Apr 2014 15:16

All chat is good for quick questions too. Most of the time if you ask something simple 50 people answer you at once with same answer...or 50 different answers. Either way it doesn't hurt to ask.

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Darasuum » Wed 23 Apr 2014 15:30

National only lobbies! Really, they are more fun than you think :D But perhaps not the best for the newest players as limits your units choice with certain nations.

Also when people join your side/team, ask if you can join on their TS server or they on yours. Perhaps your entire team (and the enemies) is willing to join. Makes it more fun and easy to coordinate (don't give them any rights and you can easily kick em off again when the match ends).

Argus
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Argus » Wed 23 Apr 2014 15:30

also ,some veteran players might be dicks about it but they mean good. When they give advice listen to them. Afterall ,this is a game. It tries to be realistic but some stuff just has to be learned,in some places you cannot apply common sense :D

shomu1
Major-General

Postby shomu1 » Wed 23 Apr 2014 15:56

Also even if you're new, don't be afraid to communicate. If you don't know what you're doing, say so, and a more experienced player can help you out in the match and maybe give you some pointers as well.

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

marecek05
Command Sergeant Major

Postby marecek05 » Wed 23 Apr 2014 16:35

I feel the communication is the key. I consider myself an average player, but I am a veteran (release of W:EE) of the series.

I have never ever been rude or agressive at someone who typed something along the lines: "Hi, it's my 2nd game only, what should I do. However I did ragequit couple of times, when the teammate refused to communicate, even after I explained how to type in messages.

McMacky
Master Sergeant

Postby McMacky » Wed 23 Apr 2014 19:35

^ A player that is new but communicates is ok, because even if they lose they learn something,usually from advice they get from other players and other players usually send them to a location that is relatively easy to hold. A player who is new and doesn't communicate can screw the whole team over usually by suiciding an entire force. If this happens good luck getting good or helpful advice from your teammates if they've already tried communicating with you and you ignored them. They most likely are not feeling much goodwill towards you.

Flares can be helpful in order to coordinate which zones you want, and custom message flares can be used for more specific messages. They're located under the minimap in case anyone does not know.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Wed 23 Apr 2014 21:42

Making friends with more experienced players (and also noobs, as well) pays off dividens pretty quick. For starters, you can get advice and observations which you would otherwise keep missing for weeks. Secondly, you get invited to games that have already coherent teams, or may be balanced, or you can influence the settings...

You can often find a friendly community on open TS servers such as that of PLF's.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”