Recon (Optics & Enemy Detection) - A Visual Aid

~W~a~t~e~r~
Staff Sergeant

Recon (Optics & Enemy Detection) - A Visual Aid

Postby ~W~a~t~e~r~ » Wed 6 Aug 2014 04:09

re·con·nais·sance
riˈkänəsəns,-zəns
noun
-military observation of a region to locate an enemy or ascertain strategic features.

The use of recon is arguably one of the most important actions implemented to win battles and wars, as preached by Sun Tzu. Eugen has done a great job beating this concept into the heads of Wargamers by punishing those who don’t practice the concept with incredible amounts of frustration and expletive yelling. Fellow Wargamers have created guides aiming at helping newcomers to the series pickup key components of gameplay quickly, but I have yet to find one that focuses more specifically on how Optics and Stealth Ratings relate to each other and affect the battlefield.

R.U.S.E. - for those of you who haven’t played it, made understanding recon units and their abilities to scout the battlefield relatively easy by providing LOS (line of sight) circles for each of the recon units. These LOS circles clearly showed where obstructions to LOS were and how far the recon unit could actually see making it easier to know where gaps were in your defenses that could potentially harbor enemy ambushes. R.U.S.E. also did not incorporate any stealth systems, i.e. all enemy units were identifiable once within range of your recon unit’s LOS regardless of how small an infantry squad was or how massive a prototype tank was.

The Wargame series does a pretty darn good job adhering to reality, through the inclusion of various unit stats, designing beautifully detailed landscapes in the maps, and many other elements of the games. One must remember that this IS a game, and some elements of reality are left out or mitigated in attempts to provide as balanced a gameplay as possible. Due to the nature of attempting to create a realistic, yet balanced game, the understanding of how far particular units can see is not entirely clear. Adding to that difficulty, again in attempts to make the game more realistic, stealth ratings of units affect the detection range for the varying optics available. Higher stealth ratings make it more difficult for the unit to be detected, while higher optic ratings will make it easier to spot the enemy. The distances at which certain optic ratings will detect certain stealth ratings are also affected by the units’ surrounding environmental cover. Forest edges & Hedge-lines (further explained later) and urban sectors of towns and cities will make it more difficult for units located within to be detected.
Obstructions to LOS must clearly be understood as a different form of hindrance to the detection of enemy units. While some environments essentially add to the stealth rating of a unit, many landscape details will block LOS altogether. Many maps with highly detailed undulations and landscape changes are particularly frustrating to players not familiar with them. CLIFF HANGER in particular is one of my favorite maps simply because of the meticulous nature of design that was put into it. Yet if one does no zoom in from their eagle-eye-view and examine the landscape and subtle undulations, the battle will be fraught with ambushes from areas that were SURE to be covered by recon or within LOS of defensive units.

*An important note: The detection and identification of enemy units in Wargame does not depend on a unit being a "recon unit" necessarily, but rather the grade of optics the units possess. As recon units typically possess higher grades of optics, scouting the enemy is best done, but not limited to these recon units. In addition, a common MISCONCEPTION is that the size of the unit plays a part in the stealthiness and detection of units, when in actuality, size only adds or subtracts to the accuracy of units targeting the unit.

Although thankful for the other Wargamers’ spreadsheets and discussions concerning recon and optics, I still found myself with a lack of understanding when my units would actually detect the enemy. Personally, I am a VERY visual learner and interpret information much easier with visual aids. Thus, along with a few of the Wargamers I play with, we conducted our own in-game experiments to collect data. In an attempt to represent the data in a manner that would more clearly show how optics, stealth, and environmental cover are related, I created some visual representations of the data.

In our experimentation we focused particularly on Exceptional, Very Good, and Good Optics. After brief trials, we quickly learned that if you rely on lesser optics to scout forests, hedge-lines, cities, etc. you will likely discover the potency of short-range weapons systems before you even see the enemy. However, I would like to go back and gather more complete data on all optics ratings and their relation to stealth and detection.

*Stay tuned for more sections discussing the numerous intricacies and instances where you might normally react with a “WTF?!?!?”

I hope this helps new players understand the IMPORTANCE of recon, as well as improve the understanding of how it works for the experienced players.

472px-Spy-vs-Spy.png
472px-Spy-vs-Spy.png (53.24 KiB) Viewed 16287 times

RECON vs. RECON
Depending on the Optics Rating and Stealth Rating of each unit, one unit will most likely spot the other before being spotted itself. Understanding this concept ties into the importance of diversifying your Recon Team. While you are probing the enemies front lines to eliminate their recon units, you want to try to keep yours undetected and alive as much as possible. Infantry recon units will typically have the highest stealth ratings available and will potentially allow you to spot the enemies not-so-stealthy recon vehicles and eliminate them before they detect you. REMINDER: If the enemy's units are in forest edges or hedge-lines, they will "blink" on their screen so long as they are undetected. As soon as you detect them, the enemy, if aware, will notice their units have stopped blinking and that you have a recon unit somewhere in the area. If you are not ready to deal with the enemy's recon unit, or the repercussions of the enemy realizing you have a unit in the area, try to stay back a bit until you have prepared your attack.

The following links are to the visual aids I have created to better understand how Optics and Stealth Ratings relate to each other. These visuals are subject to change as comments are offered or new information comes to light:

Exceptional Optics - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjbCaFKUVbYNl91Rlo3Q2paRUk/edit?usp=sharing
V.Good Opticshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjbCaFKUVbYa1B3SzBsY2tVRkE/edit?usp=sharing
Good Opticshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjbCaFKUVbYMHFtSXRxa04zVUU/edit?usp=sharing
Forest & Urban Optics Comparisonhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjbCaFKUVbYZmQ2WTJleUxTR1k/edit?usp=sharing
Open Field LOS Optics Comparisonhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwjbCaFKUVbYX0gtYjI1MWdiYmM/edit?usp=sharing

THIS PAGE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. AS I MAKE CHANGES TO THE WORKS I WILL TRY TO UPDATE THE LINKS HERE. PLEASE LEAVE SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, AND ANY INFORMATION THAT WILL HELP ME PROVIDE A BETTER GUIDE TO RECON FOR WARGAMERS, NEW AND OLD.
Last edited by ~W~a~t~e~r~ on Thu 7 Aug 2014 17:52, edited 11 times in total.
Learn more about Recon - Optics & Detection here: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=47480

Bastables
Warrant Officer

Re: Recon (Optics & Enemy Detection) - A Visual Aid

Postby Bastables » Wed 6 Aug 2014 05:16

Sublime work, well done and thanks.

saber2243
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby saber2243 » Wed 6 Aug 2014 05:38

Some body sticky this and refer any new player who complains about balance to it :D
Peace through Superior Firepower

Joonnnyy
Sergeant Major

Postby Joonnnyy » Wed 6 Aug 2014 05:56

you ahve 1 mistake

all ground units and low hoverig helos have 3500m max vision range on flat ground

beside that very good and helpfull

~W~a~t~e~r~
Staff Sergeant

Postby ~W~a~t~e~r~ » Wed 6 Aug 2014 06:10

Joonnnyy wrote:all ground units and low hoverig helos have 3500m max vision range on flat ground

I did have the max ranges written down wrong, but if I recall, even the ground unit with exceptional optics had ~5km LOS. I'll have to go back and check.

I will update the drawings when I get a chance.

Thanks
Learn more about Recon - Optics & Detection here: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=47480

Noobdelux
Sergeant

Postby Noobdelux » Wed 6 Aug 2014 13:54

Nice work there!

Rosalis
Master Sergeant

Postby Rosalis » Wed 6 Aug 2014 13:56

Great job!

Did you confirm if veterancy affects spotting range, or if the bonus just reduces spotting time?

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Wed 6 Aug 2014 13:58

Rosalis wrote:Great job!

Did you confirm if veterancy affects spotting range, or if the bonus just reduces spotting time?

As I know it does not have effect on range.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Wed 6 Aug 2014 13:59

MOVED AND STICKIED
Viker for ingen!

le trashman
Sergeant First-Class

Postby le trashman » Wed 6 Aug 2014 15:06

This is amazing... +1 like'd

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”