Realistic TOE for the USSR

KattiValk
General

Realistic TOE for the USSR

Postby KattiValk » Tue 7 Oct 2014 00:56

Well, all my sources (admittedly mostly US evaluations on Soviet tech) are very vague on USSR formations. For example, they'll list armor numbers but simply say T-64/72/80 instead of actually listing specific models.

Does anyone have some detailed ones for 1990/92 and 1980/85?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Realistic TOE for the USSR

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 7 Oct 2014 04:28

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:Well, all my sources (admittedly mostly US evaluations on Soviet tech) are very vague on USSR formations. For example, they'll list armor numbers but simply say T-64/72/80 instead of actually listing specific models.

Dang, someone just asked for real, Cold War information.

*cricket chirp*
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Tue 7 Oct 2014 05:39

Is there any particular reason you put this here instead of in the main forum? It's a pretty specific question that not very many people will probably have an answer to.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 7 Oct 2014 06:04

Mister Maf wrote:Is there any particular reason you put this here instead of in the main forum? It's a pretty specific question that not very many people will probably have an answer to.
Because it doesn't exactly pertain to the actual game and falls fairly comfortably into this category for what I want it for (that and personal reference).

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Tue 7 Oct 2014 06:17

Well, all my sources (admittedly mostly US evaluations on Soviet tech) are very vague on USSR formations. For example, they'll list armor numbers but simply say T-64/72/80 instead of actually listing specific models.

Might be better off trying to figure out by unit and location. The reason the Army has all the tanks listed is because it knew of organizations that used the same basic TOE with totally different tanks that were all generally contemporaneous with each other. I don't have my library of stuff, but if you work backwards and decide say, you want to know what Soviet units in Germany in 1990 had, you'd do better than trying to find a USSR wide solution.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 7 Oct 2014 06:21

panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:Might be better off trying to figure out by unit and location. The reason the Army has all the tanks listed is because it knew of organizations that used the same basic TOE with totally different tanks that were all generally contemporaneous with each other. I don't have my library of stuff, but if you work backwards and decide say, you want to know what Soviet units in Germany in 1990 had, you'd do better than trying to find a USSR wide solution.
Ah, thanks for the pointer. I haven't tried location digging yet, must be worth a shot. :)

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Tue 7 Oct 2014 06:57

Not at my comp but I know that I have come across some indirectly in the CIA's FOIA reading room, just Google a specific query about Soviet or cold war equipment and invariably within 7 pages a FOIA/RAND/DTIC/FMSO PDF is bound to show up. The foreign military studies office of the us army also has some organizational PDFs floating around

This fmso doc is a good place to start.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... T-pZMl_iDw
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 7 Oct 2014 07:25

hansbroger wrote:Not at my comp but I know that I have come across some indirectly in the CIA's FOIA reading room, just Google a specific query about Soviet or cold war equipment and invariably within 7 pages a FOIA/RAND/DTIC/FMSO PDF is bound to show up. The foreign military studies office of the us army also has some organizational PDFs floating around

This fmso doc is a good place to start.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... T-pZMl_iDw
Thanks for the advice.
As for the document, I've seen it and it's definitely really useful but still has the generalized approach that most documents I've found have. :)

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Sat 11 Oct 2014 02:56

New puzzle piece.

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=47940&start=180
The last post.
Flieger wrote:...... so standen 1991 z.B. 2.100 Leopard 2A4 gegen 410 T-80U. .......

Malcolm Chalmers/ Lutz Unterseher: Is there a tank gap?, lnternational Security 13.1, 1988, pp. 5-49
und
Steven Zaloga: The tank gap data flap, lnternational Security 13.4, 1989, pp. 180-194

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 11 Oct 2014 04:38

Just a tip, you can click on the title of the post (ie. 'Re: Realistic TOE for the USSR') which would give you a link of the post.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”