A Czechoslovakian Unit Guide

CornProducts
Colonel

Re: A Czechoslovakian Unit Guide

Postby CornProducts » Thu 18 Dec 2014 02:57

Can't tell you how many times I called in a strike with a Ondava/Dana and forget about it, until minutes later I am moving up to where shells are still falling. 9/10 you will have to tell it to stop firing before it ends on its own. You said that in your guide, but it bears repeating.

Also I never call out a Kub unless I can also call out a supply vehicle. A single plane flying over once can make it shoot its entire payload, and it is a real bummer to have you Kub bombed by a plane it could have killed.

floread
Corporal

Postby floread » Fri 19 Dec 2014 00:55

Great guide on my favorite nation! :)

I totally agree on the Zaloznici being very polarizing. I look at the stats and dismiss it in my mind right away. Yet I still take them in my deck.

I do disagree on the Motostrelci being something to stay away from. 10pts, they are cheap but is probably the better Motrostrelci of all the RedFor. Furthermore, I see the Motostrelci not so much as a good infantry unit on its own, rather the IFV it comes with, BVP-1P or BVP-2. With 30-35 points, you can quickly garrison a town and lay a quick ATGM defense line.

Czech infantry(like the whole deck actually) is nothing spectacular but just robust and good enough for the job. Easy for the enemy to get complacent over. :D

Edit: Can't wait to see what you say about the ShM vz-82 PRAM-S!

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Fri 19 Dec 2014 01:23

floread wrote:Edit: Can't wait to see what you say about the ShM vz-82 PRAM-S!

I covered it in the most recent addition — it's the last one:

Mister Maf wrote:Image

ShM vz.85 PRAM-S - As a 120mm mortar available in a deck with a 30% availability bonus, the ShM vz.85 PRAM-S is one of the best mortars in the game (the top dog award would go to the Swedish double-barreled AMOS). It comes in a pack of 8 in a single card with the Czech availability bonus, and at 81 shells, it carries more ammunition than any other 120mm mortar, giving it the ability to dish out some serious hurt for as much as twice as long as some of its competitors before needing a resupply (e.g., the Soviet 120mm Nona only carries 39 shells). Don’t let the higher rates of fire on some of the lower-caliber mortars fool you - 5 HE power 120mm mortars are the outright best. If you plan to be doing a lot of urban combat in your upcoming match, be sure to bring a card of these along and they will serve you well.

Otagan
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Otagan » Fri 19 Dec 2014 04:28

He was talking about the assault gun variant, not the mortar.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Fri 19 Dec 2014 07:41

Oh, so he was. I didn't notice the difference of 2 versus 5. My bad. Well, I'll probably do vehicles after tanks. I'm not an enormous fan of the vz.82 to be honest, but there aren't too many options, so I still use it.

floread
Corporal

Postby floread » Fri 19 Dec 2014 20:09

That's the thing with the ShM vz-82 PRAM-S. It's another unit which is "not exactly good enough" and yet I can't really do without it. It's the Avre of the Czechs but unlike the Avre, it actually has an ATGM to defend itself against tanks that want to take out your Pram.

To me, this is a unit I almost always take in my decks because it's a combination of many mediocre stats in 1 neat little package that is greater than the sum of its parts. Yet so many games, I never even deploy one.....but when I need it, it does the job really well.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sun 21 Dec 2014 22:31

Now updated with tanks! I also put each section in spoiler tags to make things easier — let me know if you run into any formatting issues or inconsistencies. You may now commence telling me how bad I am because I don't know how to into light armor.

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Tue 23 Dec 2014 08:09

Nothing much to add about the tanks from me. The DYNA is my cheapest tank in my mixed CSSR deck, the Moderna is muh fav etc etc. I do prefer the T-72M1M as my workhorse instead of the S though.

The independent autocannon on the Moderna is not be underestimated. It will always target the perfect targets for each, and do so automatically and perfectly you'd think you were at a choreographed play, starring exploding NATO vehicles. Also 23 AP is only beaten by the M1A2. Kind of a big deal.

J4CKAL05
Sergeant Major

Postby J4CKAL05 » Fri 7 Aug 2015 13:57

Given the last post here was December last year, I'm guessing you won't be finishing this then? :cry: real same cos I've been wanting to get into national rather than coalition decks, already done some for the GDR (after reading Flieger's guide, loved it) and made a start with Poland, and needed some guidance on Czechoslovakia.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sun 9 Aug 2015 07:52

J4CKAL05 wrote:Given the last post here was December last year, I'm guessing you won't be finishing this then? :cry: real same cos I've been wanting to get into national rather than coalition decks, already done some for the GDR (after reading Flieger's guide, loved it) and made a start with Poland, and needed some guidance on Czechoslovakia.

I've been telling myself that I'll finish it. At some point. The odds are better than those of me ever finishing that book I started reading awhile ago. :?