Text Format Script Steam Community Guide

Aquila
Sergeant Major

Text Format Script Steam Community Guide

Postby Aquila » Mon 15 Dec 2014 02:23

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =355698402

Hey forumers!

I have made a steam community guide about TTextFormatScript tags. Please rate it thumbs up and give me feedback or ask me questions please. :D

This is the guide for Text Format Script tags. ;)

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: Text Format Script Steam Community Guide

Postby Mister Maf » Tue 16 Dec 2014 05:02

Upvoted and favorited. I had most of the icons saved to a text document, but it was inconvenient to minimize the game and find them. This is much better, thanks!

However: I suggest changing the title to something more people will understand, and something that will show what it means when appearing as a suggested guide in the steam overlay (aka shows the purpose early in the name). For example, "The Definitive Chat Flag and Icon Guide", or perhaps "Complete" guide. People like short text; it's easier for humans to parse and is less intimidating - that's why online news articles typically have relatively short sentences and paragraphs, why "tl;dr" is a thing, and why Vine is so popular.

Same goes for the icon - it's the first thing people see, so you want it to get their attention. I would suggest a simple collage of the flags and miscellaneous icons or something. You already have them, so it's something really easy to paste together in MS Paint.

In the introduction, I would also include a bulleted list of what it will include, such as:

In this guide, you will learn how to write insert these things in text:
*Flags
*Text colors
*Miscellaneous icons

These can be used in the chat, your name, deck names, and even flares!

Just some ideas to make people more likely to click and read your guide.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 16 Dec 2014 06:53

Wow, very nice. I remember you posting this on the Forums a while back.

Especially love this: "Don't spam the chat please!"
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Aquila
Sergeant Major

Postby Aquila » Wed 17 Dec 2014 12:02

Mister Maf wrote:Upvoted and favorited. I had most of the icons saved to a text document, but it was inconvenient to minimize the game and find them. This is much better, thanks!

However: I suggest changing the title to something more people will understand, and something that will show what it means when appearing as a suggested guide in the steam overlay (aka shows the purpose early in the name). For example, "The Definitive Chat Flag and Icon Guide", or perhaps "Complete" guide. People like short text; it's easier for humans to parse and is less intimidating - that's why online news articles typically have relatively short sentences and paragraphs, why "tl;dr" is a thing, and why Vine is so popular.

Same goes for the icon - it's the first thing people see, so you want it to get their attention. I would suggest a simple collage of the flags and miscellaneous icons or something. You already have them, so it's something really easy to paste together in MS Paint.

In the introduction, I would also include a bulleted list of what it will include, such as:

In this guide, you will learn how to write insert these things in text:
*Flags
*Text colors
*Miscellaneous icons

These can be used in the chat, your name, deck names, and even flares!

Just some ideas to make people more likely to click and read your guide.

Thanks! I worded the description for the guide to be more clear but left the title and picture to draw interest.

The W:AB Noob wrote:Wow, very nice. I remember you posting this on the Forums a while back.

Especially love this: "Don't spam the chat please!"

Yes!

I remember when the flags were crazy in the chat when multiple people had apparently found these tags from the localization files. Apparently no one knew what the tags were however, so I set to find out and I did.

Apparently Text Format Script in Wargame allows you to give parameters to subroutines such as graphics and text processing to colour text and show flags and other graphics.

All the parameters can be found at TTextFormatScript from everything.ndfbin so back then months ago I would have been able to make a definitive guide because of this and I did post an almost complete set of parameters to the forums here but I guess I should have made the steam community guide a lot earlier...

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 18 Dec 2014 00:56

Aquila wrote:All the parameters can be found at TTextFormatScript from everything.ndfbin...

Oh! I checked all the localization files one by one :oops:

That's why I couldn't find the coalition codes.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image