Some greenhorn questions

IDDQD
Private First-Class

Some greenhorn questions

Postby IDDQD » Tue 3 Feb 2015 21:09

Greetings everyone.

I am new to Wargame and boy is it hard to get things done the right. I've spent quite some time reading and watching videos, a couple of questions however remain.

Recon/Vision:

I think this is the issue where I am struggling most. In the beginning things are okay-ish. I hide my recon somewhere and have vision and actually know what is going on. Usually my recon gets destroyed pretty fast albeit being hidden. Here are the questions.

- Should I disable weapons of recon?
- How do I get recon back into a reasonable position?
- How do I 'counter' recon which have managed to sneak past my frontline in the early game and let's say camp in the jungle next to my base? It took me 2-3 -cheap- Recon-Helis to get rid of them?

I feel like editing/updating this Thread every now and then with some other questions

MenDuck
Major

Re: Some greenhorn questions

Postby MenDuck » Tue 3 Feb 2015 21:19

IDDQD wrote:Greetings everyone.

I am new to Wargame and boy is it hard to get things done the right. I've spent quite some time reading and watching videos, a couple of questions however remain.

Recon/Vision:

I think this is the issue where I am struggling most. In the beginning things are okay-ish. I hide my recon somewhere and have vision and actually know what is going on. Usually my recon gets destroyed pretty fast albeit being hidden. Here are the questions.

- How do I 'counter' recon which have managed to sneak past my frontline in the early game and let's say camp in the jungle next to my base? It took me 2-3 -cheap- Recon-Helis to get rid of them?

I feel like editing/updating this Thread every now and then with some other questions

Welcome to the Forums!
1. You must disable the recon's weapons. They'll automaticly fire on any enemy in-range, giving their position away. Activate them only if recon is in dire need of self-defence.
2. What do you mean by that?
3. If it's a recon heli, then AA, if it's a recon vehicle, then choppers and if it's recon inf, then burn them to death with napalm weapons.

Hope that helps :D

Ghostweed
Warrant Officer

Postby Ghostweed » Tue 3 Feb 2015 21:27

IDDQD wrote:Greetings everyone.

Recon/Vision:

Hello there and welcome, Im not playing RD but ALB but basics are the same...

1) Mostly yes, but its situational. Recon with sniper rifles can make quite a lot of dmg without being noticed or recon guarding a crossroad can wreck havoc if their AT is on and u dont have to micro it that much.

2) U dont. Keep them in front line as APM and micro needed for safe return of ur recon outweights price of the new recon. But if u really must, use smoke screen or small distraction attack (e.g. send five 5p APCs to meatshield 25p shock recon). There are 2 types of foot recon missions: 1. get to the good observation post and stay there; 2. U keep running and do the spotting on the way (a great unit for this are Speciální Jednotky - in both RD and ALB)

3) Helis are quite easy to shoot down by infantry MGs, instead use a proper force - spawn 2 units of infantry in APCs, unload close to the posibble enemy recon spot, make an extended order (phalanx) and flush him out. It needs some micro but u can easily use shift made waypoints to ease needed APM. Its cheaper than sending the plane and also safer as u never know if the recon have AA capabilities (like SAS).

Hope it helps and feel free to ask ;)

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 3 Feb 2015 21:38

Hello, I'll try to provide direct answers but allow me to also link a video I made about recon, it's short and I hope instructive: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-J83kmJu8Z4

As to your questions specifically

1) Generally I don't disable recon weapons unless they're on the front line, overlooking enemy positions to the point that they would be in range of enemy weapons if revealed. Rear echelon recon, recon attacking with your main force, and many other situations do not call for guns being turned off.

2) I'm not entirely sure about what you're asking. Take advantage of cover to break line of sight and hide your recon as they approach the enemy. Remember that recon infantry, and particular two man sniper teams, are much more difficult to see than recon vehicles.

Lastly. A lot of newer players seem to think that it's necessary to get recon units close enough to see a large percentage of the enemy force - this is rarely the case. Generally your recon is for detecting enemy pickets, or giving your units sight of what may be shooting at them from cover. A significant element of reconnaissance is simply guess work, and recon by force.

3) Cheap infantry and their transports are usually good for finding enemy recon. Set up 'nets' to catch the enemy, or better yet figure out choke points in the terrain - bridges that must be crossed, or open fields that need to be traversed to get to you. In those cases you can economize the units needed to protect your flanks by just watching those key areas.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

IDDQD
Private First-Class

Postby IDDQD » Tue 3 Feb 2015 21:54

Thanks for the respones

MenDuck wrote:2. What do you mean by that?

Ah forgot the picture:

Right at the start Redfor managed to sneak just right behind us. Actually it feels like it was my allies fault, we both suffered appr. 300 points losses. I send in 2 cheap recon helis but both were shot down, eventually the third recon heli with the support of 2 Tigers managed to take them out but were all heavily damaged. There got to be an easier way.

Ghostweed wrote:
3) Helis are quite easy to shoot down by infantry MGs, instead use a proper force - spawn 2 units of infantry in APCs, unload close to the posibble enemy recon spot, make an extended order (phalanx) and flush him out. It needs some micro but u can easily use shift made waypoints to ease needed APM. Its cheaper than sending the plane and also safer as u never know if the recon have AA capabilities (like SAS).

Well how do you efficiently use recon-helis then? They're not really useful for counter recon as stated above.

@raventhefuhrer

Thanks raven, will have a look. Already checked a couple of your videos. Helpful stuff indeed for a bloody beginner
Last edited by IDDQD on Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:09

The key there is jut to realize that, on that map, you're very vulnerable to that sort of thing. Therefore you need to put some recon out over the water once the match starts. Some manpads on the coast would help too.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:10

IDDQD wrote:Thanks for the respones

MenDuck wrote:2. What do you mean by that?

Ah forgot the picture:

Right at the start Redfor managed to sneak just right behind us. Actually it feels like it was my allies fault, we both suffered appr. 300 points losses. I send in 2 cheap recon helis but both were shot down, eventually the third recon heli with the support of 2 Tigers managed to take them out but were all heavily damaged. There got to be an easier way.

That's why you got to have eyes everywhere. Over the water you could've deployed a recon heli, that would give you at least an early warning. Plus what Raven says: MANPADS.

IDDQD
Private First-Class

Postby IDDQD » Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:35

raventhefuhrer wrote:The key there is jut to realize that, on that map, you're very vulnerable to that sort of thing. Therefore you need to put some recon out over the water once the match starts. Some manpads on the coast would help too.

MenDuck wrote:That's why you got to have eyes everywhere. Over the water you could've deployed a recon heli, that would give you at least an early warning. Plus what Raven says: MANPADS.

Amazing how a hidden mistake makes ones life tough in this game. Gotta learn from these mistakes but then again I was supposed to go to Hotel and the other, more experienced guy was to care about everything else but who am I to blame.

Here's my initial frontline. I'd like to know what you think about it setup/position-wise. I noticed that the Roland was too far behind, have problems with range indicators and such. Forgot to unload aswell. Thought the recon-heli on low altitude close to the mountain ridge was a good idea but it was taken down rather quickly.

Ghostweed
Warrant Officer

Postby Ghostweed » Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:38

IDDQD wrote:
Ghostweed wrote:

Well how do you efficiently use recon-helis then? They're not really useful for counter recon as stated above.

Its hard to explain, but u should use them for general recon - e.g.: on ur picture, putting heli over the sea can help u spot incoming enemy helis or jets - good spot will be that rly small red dot on ur picture (left side next to arrow). Mostly u want to recon enemy helis and jets with ur heli and then use the right counter - e.g.: u see 3 enemy helis incoming on your flank, so u call in anti-heli jet to deal with em - but then u spot that those helis have a jet guarding them - so instead of jet u spawn AA or some antiheli APC (Vydra II).

Other use is on the beginning of the match, when both sides are racing to positions. It will help u spot the cheese (mass tanks/apcs/helis) and also ull see the composition of enemy force much more quicker than using ground recon. Also u can use recon heli for large recon patrols - use waypoints and let the heli fly over ur front lines.

Im sure that if u check Ravens videos ull get it - he is really helpfull guy to the newcomers :)

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Tue 3 Feb 2015 22:46

IDDQD wrote:Here's my initial frontline. I'd like to know what you think about it setup/position-wise. I noticed that the Roland was too far behind, have problems with range indicators and such. Forgot to unload aswell. Thought the recon-heli on low altitude close to the mountain ridge was a good idea but it was taken down rather quickly.

Never use a Command Jeep in a frontline sector. Use something heavier i.e. a CV tank. However, even today that won't save you from getting ATACAMS'ed from a teamgamerfood underdog. :roll:

Ghostweed wrote:Im sure that if u check Ravens videos ull get it - he is really helpfull guy to the newcomers :)

This so much.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”