How to deal with helicopters

Avizor
Corporal

Re: How to deal with helicopters

Postby Avizor » Wed 29 Apr 2015 20:13

Thank you for all the answers.

I will try to elaborate a bit.

While i havent settled on any particulary deck I mainly use french ones. More or less I can deal with moving helos. My problem are static ones. Crotale works ok, so does the mistral recon.

The problem comes when 3 or more choppers form a wall. I need enormous amount of aa to bring them down, losing most of them in the process.

To be more precise they shoot at me while moving into range, and im unable to shoot back before they dertroy me.

While i use french mainly, i would like to know your comments for other nations.

Avizor
Corporal

Postby Avizor » Wed 29 Apr 2015 20:25

Sry, how radar AA is a bad thing?

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Wed 29 Apr 2015 22:39

Stationary helos should not be approached with something that is outranged by the helo. The Crotale for example, will be in range before the helo in every situation so you shouldn't have to deal with ATGMs or rockets while using it (unless it's coming into LOS inside the helo's range which is inadvisable).

Rad AA uses radar which can be targeted by anti-radiation missiles, or SEAD (or DEAD as it really should be called). These come on SEAD planes and can only target Rad AA (that has its weapon turned on at the time). The Ka-52 also has a SEAD missile but it is the only non-plane to carry one.

Avizor
Corporal

Postby Avizor » Thu 30 Apr 2015 11:16

Oh yes SEAD planes,how much I love them...

But in the case you mention, what can I do?. Spotter helos are a big problem for me.

I wish they could eat a solid iron tank round, like in real life.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 30 Apr 2015 16:31

You can click on your unit's Rad weapon (some units have both a rad and non-rad weapon like the Gepard A2 and Tung) to turn it off. Then your unit becomes immune to SEAD but cannot use said weapon while it is off. You can turn on the weapon by clicking on it again. A very effective (and popular) tactic is to let the enemy SEAD fly across your front line and hit it with everything you have when it circles around for another pass.

Recon helos are weak little targets and kind of cannon fodder in the current meta. The Fire Pos command allows you to directly target helicopters with unguided munitions if they're at high altitude and stationary (your rounds will become magical airburst munitions of goodness). This means that every dick and competitive player will drop a small FOB's worth of mortar shells on any helicopters on the front.

If you want to shoot a helicopter with a tank shell, Fire Pos applies to your gun as well.

Avizor
Corporal

Postby Avizor » Thu 30 Apr 2015 20:43

That is a very good advice. I will try it asap

Thank you sedman.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 7 May 2015 05:39

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:If you want to shoot a helicopter with a tank shell, Fire Pos applies to your gun as well.

+1
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Fri 8 May 2015 04:54

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:Rad AA uses radar which can be targeted by anti-radiation missiles, or SEAD (or DEAD as it really should be called). These come on SEAD planes and can only target Rad AA (that has its weapon turned on at the time). The Ka-52 also has a SEAD missile but it is the only non-plane to carry one.

More importantly in this context, most radar SAMs are focused on taking down airplanes, not helicopters. There are exceptions, like the Russian Tor and OSA-AKM, which are multirole and effective at engaging either. Most of the time, though, radar missile AA is either too short-ranged, too slow, or too expensive per-missile to effectively engage helicopters.

Radar SPAAGs such as the Tunguska or Flakpanzer Gepard, on the other hand, are actually usually primarily anti-helicopter weapons, and are highly effective in this role because of their ability to stun targets and sustain fire even with morale damage. Unfortunately, they are still vulnerable to anti-radiation missiles like their radar missile counterparts, so take care in their use.

Notable unique cases are the Russian/East German Tunguska, which features accurate, long-ranged guided missiles that can be used even with the radar gun disabled; the British Challenger Marksman, which has enough armor to outright tank a shot from a SEAD missile; and the Czech STROP-2, which uses a combination of optical tracking, a passive radar system, and secondary infrared missiles to sustain accurate fire without emitting a significant radar signature (in other words, it packs high lethality despite the lack of a [RAD] trait; the only drawback is inability to fire its gun on the move).

Regarding pop-up helicopter attacks, I've used them successfully on occasion by keeping my gunships hidden behind a treeline at low altitude, then giving the change altitude order when an enemy is sufficiently inside the "kill zone". It's a very situational thing, however, and heavily favors high-HP helicopters with 2800m range (e.g., Hinds and Apaches).

Also, in the name of good sportsmanship, please don't abuse the artillery vs. helicopters exploit. It's as unrealistic as it is unfun. I can see it for tanks shooting a stationary helicopter at the altitudes they fly at in this game, and the enemy kind of deserves it for letting a tank get that close, but magical laser-accurate anti-air mortar shells are just hella dumb.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Fri 8 May 2015 05:27

Here, if you want to play as France with better anti-helicopter AA, I might suggest a Eurocorps deck that is themed as a French task force with a few smaller West German supporting elements. Here is an example. I don't suggest actually using this deck as Eurocorps is unfamiliar to me as the deckbuilder and your play style is likely different from mine, but the idea here is to have primarily a French battalion, with German air defense and armored companies, as well as elements from a German air wing attached for support. Note that all four anti-air assets in the deck are effective against helicopters.

EInarial
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EInarial » Sat 9 May 2015 14:09

Mister Maf wrote:Also, in the name of good sportsmanship, please don't abuse the artillery vs. helicopters exploit. It's as unrealistic as it is unfun. I can see it for tanks shooting a stationary helicopter at the altitudes they fly at in this game, and the enemy kind of deserves it for letting a tank get that close, but magical laser-accurate anti-air mortar shells are just hella dumb.

A million times this. Exploiters of this bug should burn in hell. :evil:

On the other hand, fire position with tank shells... go for it. If the helo is hovering low within 2200 metres of your tank it's asking for it. Though frankly, if this is the situation you're in you're either doing well or the other guy is doing badly.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”