Sniping enemy tanks

hellwarrior
Sergeant

Sniping enemy tanks

Postby hellwarrior » Sun 31 Jan 2016 22:46

Hi guys. In the last days, I saw a video on Youtube about a guy who was using the Lynx3 helicopter to snipe tanks. I created a deck but was not able to find this helicopter so instead, I tried using the US OH-58D Kiowa Wr. for the same purpose and it's working great. I am using two, one of each flank.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestion about sniping enemy tanks?

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Re: Sniping enemy tanks

Postby Rabidnid » Sun 31 Jan 2016 23:30

hellwarrior wrote:Hi guys. In the last days, I saw a video on Youtube about a guy who was using the Lynx3 helicopter to snipe tanks. I created a deck but was not able to find this helicopter so instead, I tried using the US OH-58D Kiowa Wr. for the same purpose and it's working great. I am using two, one of each flank.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestion about sniping enemy tanks?

Yup, heli sniping with 2,800 metre missiles works, just be aware that there are a number of AA systems that outrange them. They might also send a cheap fighter, or a dedicated AA heli, to deal with them.

You need an integrated air defence to protect your own helis and tanks, and watch out for artillery, it can destroy helis as well.

hellwarrior
Sergeant

Postby hellwarrior » Mon 1 Feb 2016 00:40

Thanks Rabidnid

What do you mean exactly by: You need an integrated air defence to protect your own helis and tanks.

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Postby Rabidnid » Mon 1 Feb 2016 03:08

In my case I have Crotales with their 3325 metre range well forward, ground and heli recon some ranks and infantry in cover. If I get rushed by armour I can bring up my Hot helis to break the rush. The nice thing is that you can just click on the FoB and then at the rear of your position, so they go back, re-arm and return without any micro. The helis stay safe behind my tanks and AA so they aren't likely to get sniped. Because of the other recon they don't need to have good optics so I can get by using cheap 40 point helis rather than something like the kiowa. In your case you have a seahawk and an apache you could use instead, and just find a cheaper recon heli that you don't need to send off to re-arm.

I played in a losing game yesterday where I still managed a better kill loss ratio than anyone else simply by destroying all their aircraft.

The other HQ-7s and HQ-61As did most of the damage and this launcher finished them off, with the result that I destroyed practically all of their air for the cost of a few HQ-7s and PZQ-88s

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A9B351CEC/

Solid AA, a group of heiis to stop ground rushes, and an ASF to thin out massed air strikes, is a good start. I was exchanging HQ-7s for longbows and Kiowas at better than 1 to 1 odds. That let me push when I needed to. In the end my pushes failed and our right flank got crushed, but I certainly held the centre of the map the whole game and lost less than I killed.

One day my teams will start to win the occasional gamer as well, I hope.

Communazi
Sergeant Major

Postby Communazi » Mon 1 Feb 2016 06:02

Most important is to be able to identify the 2800m+ AA units and be able to neutralize them with mortars/arty also.

Having been trolled by ATGM choppers so many times I never leave home without at least one AA unit that I tend to babysit for when I spot Longbows etc.

Cheap transport choppers are good for testing out the state of the enemy AA situation

hellwarrior
Sergeant

Postby hellwarrior » Mon 1 Feb 2016 21:51

Ah thank you again guys. Another question for you, is it better to snipe tanks with an helicopter or with another tank destroyer?

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Postby Rabidnid » Mon 1 Feb 2016 23:07

Helis slaughter tanks as long as there is no AA in range.

Communazi
Sergeant Major

Postby Communazi » Tue 2 Feb 2016 02:12

hellwarrior wrote:Ah thank you again guys. Another question for you, is it better to snipe tanks with an helicopter or with another tank destroyer?

The recon Bradley will give the helo's a run for their money, generally the helo's are better though. Their speed and height allows them to kite enemies much better, whereas the ground units can be blocked by the environment and smoke.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 3 Feb 2016 20:14

Communazi wrote:
hellwarrior wrote:Ah thank you again guys. Another question for you, is it better to snipe tanks with an helicopter or with another tank destroyer?

The recon Bradley will give the helo's a run for their money, generally the helo's are better though. Their speed and height allows them to kite enemies much better, whereas the ground units can be blocked by the environment and smoke.

This. It's a risk-reward thing. Powerful helicopters are typically very expensive and are high-profile, high-priority kill targets for the enemy. They have much better line of sight because they can fly over terrain obstructions like random tiny hills or hedgerows that would block a ground-based ATGM. The downside is that enemy units that can match or outrange your helicopter are much more common than units that can match or outrange your ATGM tank destroyer, and your TD can hide in forests or hedgerows. It's important to learn which AA assets have 2625m and 2800m+ range, and to use the info panel ("I" key on your keyboard) liberally if you aren't sure — otherwise you run a risk of sending your pilots to a completely avoidable death.

All that said, ground missile vehicles in general are pretty overpriced and must be carefully managed and supported, lest they be overrun or destroyed by artillery. I find the higher the mobility on a missile carrier, the better the odds of securing a kill and/or escaping before itself being destroyed. They have high potential but are really hard to use for their price. Warsaw Pact GLATGMs are generally much more effective because the tanks they are fired from have enough armor to take hits while guiding the missile. Same goes for the Shillelagh missile in the American MBT-70. GLATGMs also only add 5-10 points onto the price of the tank, so they're a much better value.

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Postby Rabidnid » Wed 3 Feb 2016 21:15

Mister Maf wrote:
Communazi wrote:

This. It's a risk-reward thing. Powerful helicopters are typically very expensive and are high-profile, high-priority kill targets for the enemy. They have much better line of sight because they can fly over terrain obstructions like random tiny hills or hedgerows that would block a ground-based ATGM. The downside is that enemy units that can match or outrange your helicopter are much more common than units that can match or outrange your ATGM tank destroyer, and your TD can hide in forests or hedgerows. It's important to learn which AA assets have 2625m and 2800m+ range, and to use the info panel ("I" key on your keyboard) liberally if you aren't sure — otherwise you run a risk of sending your pilots to a completely avoidable death.

All that said, ground missile vehicles in general are pretty overpriced and must be carefully managed and supported, lest they be overrun or destroyed by artillery. I find the higher the mobility on a missile carrier, the better the odds of securing a kill and/or escaping before itself being destroyed. They have high potential but are really hard to use for their price. Warsaw Pact GLATGMs are generally much more effective because the tanks they are fired from have enough armor to take hits while guiding the missile. Same goes for the Shillelagh missile in the American MBT-70. GLATGMs also only add 5-10 points onto the price of the tank, so they're a much better value.

Yup. I've found the cheap ATGM Helis in Bluefor and China decks invaluable for breaking rushes where the other guy doesn't have his AA up with his armour, or it got popped by flank units. Krokodils are of course fantastic fire support with their rockets, guns and ATGMs, and usually carry twice as many ATGMs as western Helis that aren't gunships

It's always glorious to see some Rafale or F15C thrashing about in your ADN trying to kill a 40 point heli, and going down.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”