Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Adarius
Sergeant
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:46
Contact:

Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Adarius » Wed 28 Dec 2016 14:15

I played quite a lot of Wargame Air Land Battle in single player but have always been overwhelmed by choice when it comes to deck building. Playing more multiplayer would be nice so helping me to set up a platform to start from would be very much appreciated.

What I right now find to be hard when building decks is that there are a lot of de facto threshold values that are hard to keep track of. Strv 103B is for example looking like a pretty nice deal for defensive mid price tanks but on the other hand I would really like AV13 in case I end up battling other tanks in a forest (not getting one shotted seem like a good idea). So getting some help in deciding on an initial and deck as well as input on why you selected specific units would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Just to clarify, I have read the guide and also watch the videos by Stealth17Gaming on Youtube. My major issue right now is to create a deck to start playing PvP.

Sandiford
Corporal
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu 8 Dec 2016 19:54
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Sandiford » Wed 28 Dec 2016 18:12

I wouldn't worry much about threshholds. Every weapon you may face has a different threshhold, so you're mostly trading one thing for another whichever way you go.

Tanks fighting tanks in a forest isn't really a thing, as forests are the infantry's playground. Medium tanks die fast, if one shot doesn't do the job they'll shoot it again. Vehicles in forests either need to be cheap with good armor and weapons like grenade launchers to do good damage, or so well armored that they very hard to kill, e.g. 170 points super heavies, and that's something that should only be done when it doesn't put them at risk.

Inf with higher training do best against other inf, inf with good AT weapons do well against armor. Very heavy tanks are good for staying alive and dealing with open areas. I think these are the things that a lot of decks are built around.

Anyway, you'll figure all this out from experience. Example deck below



Deck: @Hh8KEIVtCPSxwuiEKe1mROyjwuJTOjstxR2SaluRcojAumCPwrErMLZy2lObDnC6EsPJki2st1LfS28npLei3kt7C6S3gMZIMS6M

Fallskjermjeger & FSK in amphib wheeled transports, with Rover RBS-90 wheeled AA for fast opener. RBS-56 ATGMs, heaviest ATGMs available should usually be taken to deal with heavy and super heavy tanks.

Stormers in CV9030N for follow on. STVR 102R for cheap fire support (good armor and gun). STRV 105 medium tank for clearup could be swapped for a 103. STRV 103D and STRV 121 because heavy tanks matter. With so little on offer for scandinavia I took the two heaviest. IKV 105 in Veh tab as another fire support, pretty redundent but had points to spare.

Hawk EOTS and Otomatic for AA, two of the best AA units in the game.

AMOS and BKAN 1C for artillery, best mortar and howitzer respectively.

Recon: Cheapish Inf recon, Sniper recon, Very good optics vehicle with some armor (NM116). Skipped heli recon as none with exceptional optics.

Tow-2 Helicopter, not always possible to use if your opponent has good AA, but there are times it can be used. Again spare points.

My standard air setup: fighter, SEAD, ATGM, Bomber
Top tier fighter, I find that high end fighters with F&F missiles do the job well.
Puff for SEAD
F-16 MLU for ATGM, comes with bonus long range AA missiles
F-16A Bomber.Draken WDNS also works

Consider adding a cheap rocket plane or perhaps SK-60 if you play low point games




I play mostly 4v4 or 10v10 destruction, so my decks are optimised for this. They'll give you something to start with whatever you play.

Adarius
Sergeant
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:46
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Adarius » Wed 28 Dec 2016 18:39

Thank you, it really helps to narrow down my choices so that I have a deck that I can evolve both the deck and my own style of play. I feel slightly naked without any fire weapons but Lansen never worked out for me anyway.

Also one question, is the Bkan 1C suitable for counter artillery fire? I read that the Bkan was re-purposed for more dispersion compared to Airland Battle.

Sandiford
Corporal
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu 8 Dec 2016 19:54
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Sandiford » Wed 28 Dec 2016 18:42

No probs.

What do you mean by fire support?


The M270 is probably best for counter battery, because it's AP (Cluster) and hits a wide area for when they move.

BKAN 1C is adequate all the same. It's aim time is fast (10 sec) and has double the rate of fire of others howitzers. It's really quite effective.


I haven't played AirLand Battle (technically I have it, but bought it after red dragon and haven't played much with it). So there are probably things that people who can from ALB can tell you about differences that I couldn't :)

Adarius
Sergeant
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:46
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Adarius » Wed 28 Dec 2016 18:58

Sandiford wrote:No probs.

What do you mean by fire support?


The M270 is probably best for counter battery, because it's AP (Cluster) and hits a wide area for when they move.

BKAN 1C is adequate all the same. It's aim time is fast (10 sec) and has double the rate of fire of others howitzers. It's really quite effective.


I haven't played AirLand Battle (technically I have it, but bought it after red dragon and haven't played much with it). So there are probably things that people who can from ALB can tell you about differences that I couldn't :)


Using game terminology I should have written napalm rather than fire. I always liked it as an area denial weapon and for assaulting city terrain but can probably replace it with smoke and stormers

I AirLand battle the BKAN had a very small dispersion and HE 10. As I understand it the role of the weapon have changed a bit now affecting a larger area but with less damage. So basically I wonder if I should use it or other units to deal with enemy artillery.

Sandiford
Corporal
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu 8 Dec 2016 19:54
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Sandiford » Wed 28 Dec 2016 19:09

Adarius wrote:Using game terminology I should have written napalm rather than fire. I always liked it as an area denial weapon and for assaulting city terrain but can probably replace it with smoke and stormers


There's room for napalm if you like it. The IKV 105 or some of the cheap tanks can go. You may be able to drop something from logistics depending on whether you need 2 command squads, or both logistics.

I think if you try the F-16A Fighting Falcon or the Draken WDNS on occupied towns you might be quite pleased with the results.

I mainly see napalm used to block roads, area denial as you say.

Adarius wrote:I AirLand battle the BKAN had a very small dispersion and HE 10. As I understand it the role of the weapon have changed a bit now affecting a larger area but with less damage. So basically I wonder if I should use it or other units to deal with enemy artillery.


That sounds like the heavy 203mm arty we have now.

Essentially there's heavy arty - 170 or 203mm - which has 9/10 HE, 30 seconds aim time and low rate of fire with low dispersion - Can be used to shell enemies out of towns or hit things that don't move so much like AA. Often too slow to hit arty that moves after shooting.

Prototype medium arty - 152 or 155mm - which has ~7 HE, 10 seconds aim time and fairy good rate of fire, dispersion still being pretty low - Good for any targets, because of it's quick response time

and older medium arty, 20 or 30 second aim time with high dispersion. This stuff is generally overpriced and garbage. Area fire only and expensive for that.

And of course mortars. Extremely fast to aim and fire but low range and damage, mostly good against infantry. Also very useful for supressing/panicking units in a firefight or providing quick and cheap smoke.


Then there's the rocket artillery, cluster, HE and napalm. I think I heard that ALB had cluster weapons that did damage to armor aswell as infantry. Red Dragon's clusters only damage vehicles.

Adarius
Sergeant
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:46
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Adarius » Wed 28 Dec 2016 19:18

I do not recall any cluster artillery but Mjölner (BK90) from Viggen was absolutely brilliant for blowing things up but often got the aircraft killed while firing it. Apparently it got nerfed so I am not surprised to see it not being in the deck.

It will be really fun to try this deck as soon as I am done with my other duties.

Sandiford
Corporal
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu 8 Dec 2016 19:54
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Sandiford » Wed 28 Dec 2016 19:26

Adarius wrote:I do not recall any cluster artillery but Mjölner (BK90) from Viggen was absolutely brilliant for blowing things up but often got the aircraft killed while firing it. Apparently it got nerfed so I am not surprised to see it not being in the deck.


Just looked it up and there was a BKAN 1A in Airland battle with 10 HE as you say. This has indeed been dropped down to 7 HE and dispersion that would be considered "bad" in red dragon. One to avoid.

The BKAN 1C however is a different weapon. It's a gun from 1992 with digital fire control, so fast aim times and dispersion probably about the same as the old BKAN 1A, though i'm guessing there. It's one of the more accurate guns in red dragon, coming in just behind some others like the AS90 or Paladin.


For cluster artillery check out the M270 that norway has. it shoots 12 cluster rockets that spread over a fairly wide around. can be used to snipe artillery where the spread helps, or to shoot armored vehicles e.g. hiding in forests.

They're pretty expensive and slow to fire, but they can do some things that other artillery can't. I'd avoid it complete for something like 1v1 conquest, but in bigger games it can be fun :)

User avatar
Mister Maf
Lieutenant
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun 15 Dec 2013 23:15
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Mister Maf » Thu 29 Dec 2016 00:11

Sandiford wrote:
Adarius wrote:I do not recall any cluster artillery but Mjölner (BK90) from Viggen was absolutely brilliant for blowing things up but often got the aircraft killed while firing it. Apparently it got nerfed so I am not surprised to see it not being in the deck.


Just looked it up and there was a BKAN 1A in Airland battle with 10 HE as you say. This has indeed been dropped down to 7 HE and dispersion that would be considered "bad" in red dragon. One to avoid.

The BKAN 1C however is a different weapon. It's a gun from 1992 with digital fire control, so fast aim times and dispersion probably about the same as the old BKAN 1A, though i'm guessing there. It's one of the more accurate guns in red dragon, coming in just behind some others like the AS90 or Paladin.


For cluster artillery check out the M270 that norway has. it shoots 12 cluster rockets that spread over a fairly wide around. can be used to snipe artillery where the spread helps, or to shoot armored vehicles e.g. hiding in forests.

They're pretty expensive and slow to fire, but they can do some things that other artillery can't. I'd avoid it complete for something like 1v1 conquest, but in bigger games it can be fun :)

The BKAN 1A is actually one of the very few old artillery units in the game that's not completely terrible. Combine with BKAN 1C for ridiculous suppressive volume of fire.
Image

Adarius
Sergeant
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:46
Contact:

Re: Need guidance/deck codes for Swedish or Scandinavian decks

Postby Adarius » Thu 29 Dec 2016 00:23

Mister Maf wrote:The BKAN 1A is actually one of the very few old artillery units in the game that's not completely terrible. Combine with BKAN 1C for ridiculous suppressive volume of fire.


What is the benefit of combining them rather than just having two BKAN 1C?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests