Heavy AA in 1v1: to pair or not?

somraksomrak
Private

Heavy AA in 1v1: to pair or not?

Postby somraksomrak » Sat 1 Jul 2017 18:31

Hi,
Question is obvious.
I have the feeling, paired AA missile platforms (KUBs, NEWAs, etc) score hits better than individually placed.
What's your thinking on this, guys?

blackhood1
Private

Re: Heavy AA in 1v1: to pair or not?

Postby blackhood1 » Wed 5 Jul 2017 14:24

somraksomrak wrote:Hi,
Question is obvious.
I have the feeling, paired AA missile platforms (KUBs, NEWAs, etc) score hits better than individually placed.
What's your thinking on this, guys?

Though i am also new player but in my opinion it is good idea rather than being individually placed.
TreatmentTherapy

James-Bond
Sergeant First-Class

Postby James-Bond » Tue 11 Jul 2017 23:25

Interesting to see what other respond with?
Depending on the AA unit, I might have them in a pair.
The reason I do it is to increase the chances of a kill,
instead of 1 unit hitting twice in a row,
you only need 2 hits from 4 shots if they were paired.
However if the enemy is relentless will artillery,
I might not stack as, he could be aiming at you as soon as they see the 1st missiles launch.
I saw 4x Buks get destroyed by a single ATCAMS strike.

Adarius
Sergeant

Postby Adarius » Sun 23 Jul 2017 20:22

I woul never pair my Heavy AA.

A heavy AA scores either 7 or 9 damage per hit and usually got a very limited missile load. Hitting an enemy aircraft with a maximum of 10 HP mean that you commit a significant overkill. In general I think it is better to put a weaker AA unit or SPAAG close to the front line and hope that it scores a little bit of damage, allowing the heavy AA to finish the job.

Stranger Danger
Private First-Class

Postby Stranger Danger » Mon 24 Jul 2017 12:40

Pairing makes sense with stuff like the tracked rapiers from commonwealth or the 45 points OSAs from Pact nations, which are cheap enough to afford it, but I'm not sure about doing that on broad 1v1 maps, as you'll reduce your ability to cover the whole front. When I played 1v1 I usually kept the high end anti plane pieces (75+ points) separated and just group them with ctrl to micro the radar (if present). With commonwealth I usually start with Tracked Rapiers paired on the front I intend to push, to deal with possible suicide bombers, but I wouldn't do that if I'm starting more conservatively.

integ3r
Lieutenant

Postby integ3r » Mon 24 Jul 2017 13:16

The ideal is having 3 AA pieces so you have the chance to kill with 2x hits and 1 extra as safety to offset the chance of failure.

But that's quite expensive.

So having 2 things that do 9 HE (1 to hit, 1 to offset chance of miss and to gain a chance for the kill) and a cheap something like a spaag to do that 1 damage is quite solid AA. But still quite expensive.

In small scale games, the most cost effective thing would be to either have limited IR AA capable of punishing a bomber that passes overhead of your main forces, or simply use ASF. If you go for the former then the cost can be as low as 3x Stingers for a good chance to kill.
"How do into gaem of war? How 2 git gud?":
Spoiler : :