Zoom - Minimap a step backwards

Coffee_Zombie
Chief Warrant Officer

Zoom - Minimap a step backwards

Postby Coffee_Zombie » Mon 18 May 2015 01:46

TL:DR Iris zoom good, Minimap bad.

Well it has been said before but I wish to address it as well. The lack of a non claustrophobic zoom is a big thing to me. I know the game is a throwback to golden age RTS but it doesn't mean we can't take some of the improvements we have made since then. Supreme Commander was an excellent game that managed to mash arcade/base building with a good balance of strategic overview. I'm not asking for epic scale, It is just that we have improved past the minimap and that was a good thing like the bump from iso/sprites in rts to 3d. So thats my too bits.

D-M

Re: Zoom - Minimap a step backwards

Postby D-M » Mon 18 May 2015 01:56

we have improved past the minimap

When ? I remind you there is still a minimap in Wargame.

Coffee_Zombie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Coffee_Zombie » Mon 18 May 2015 02:01

D-M wrote:

D-M I know you are defender of the zoom but games like supreme commander, ruse, wargame have moved past the minimap as your primary strategic view for very good reason. It still serves a purpose just as a quick secondary. Iris lets you choose the size of your focus. Which is important.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Mon 18 May 2015 03:39

Coffee_Zombie wrote:
D-M wrote:

D-M I know you are defender of the zoom but games like supreme commander, ruse, wargame have moved past the minimap as your primary strategic view for very good reason. It still serves a purpose just as a quick secondary. Iris lets you choose the size of your focus. Which is important.

More zoom would be nice but not to the extent of Wargame, as the maps are/feel smaller. I would certainly say that the current zoom is not good, but the minimap should always remain in game to quickly traverse the map.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

WarriorWounds
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby WarriorWounds » Mon 18 May 2015 05:49

Why can't we have a great mini map and a great zoom system, I don't understand the arguments from D-M and others that having a zoom level that is insufficient for some players is a good thing. A controllable zoom would still allow you to play the game you want while allowing others to enjoy the game their way as well, why are these people committed to having others suffer a game they want to enjoy?

KillaKow
Master Sergeant

Postby KillaKow » Mon 18 May 2015 07:21

The maximum zoom should be increased by 25-50%, but no more.

This game doesn't need to have Wargame/SupCom levels of zoom, but being able to zoom out a bit more would be a nice touch.
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Well it is a problem because you're too late.

RD forums in a nutshell.

dcweaver510
Staff Sergeant

Postby dcweaver510 » Mon 18 May 2015 07:51

Actually, I'm all in favor of Wargame levels of zoom. High zoom lets you get a much better strategic overview, and increasing the zoom hurts the game in no way at all.

AwesomeLion
Sergeant

Postby AwesomeLion » Mon 18 May 2015 08:10

They aren't going for a Wargame type of game, but a C&C type of game. That requires the zoom to be close to the action. The zoom could be a little bit further out (20-30% - or maybe even 50% as suggested above), but it is suppose to be close.

If you want another Wargame, play the Wargames that are already out or wait for the next one that is coming. This is a spiritual successor to Act of War.

KillaKow
Master Sergeant

Postby KillaKow » Mon 18 May 2015 08:53

AwesomeLion wrote:They aren't going for a Wargame type of game, but a C&C type of game. That requires the zoom to be close to the action. The zoom could be a little bit further out (20-30% - or maybe even 50% as suggested above), but it is suppose to be close.

If you want another Wargame, play the Wargames that are already out or wait for the next one that is coming. This is a spiritual successor to Act of War.

QFT +1
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Well it is a problem because you're too late.

RD forums in a nutshell.

triumph
Major

Postby triumph » Mon 18 May 2015 08:56

To me, zooming in an out all the time felt clumsy. I much preferred rapid scrolling from EALA RTS to stay in the action.
Transcend Excellence

Return to “Act of Aggression”