The Survey

Sparika
Warrant Officer

Re: The Survey

Postby Sparika » Wed 20 May 2015 16:09

torinus wrote:
If AoA decides to keep the current economy system it needs to implement +/-X resources per second counter into its UI similar to the one in Grey Goo so players can see when they are stalling their production with too many things being build or researched at same time.
Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander also had this system and they also had +/- X resources per second on UI.

Resources are spent really fast so not sure if needed, but being able to pause and reorder production would be really usefull.
"You're not Stalin, and zone Bravo on Hell's Highway is not your motherland." - TheFluff
Spoiler : For her Majesty! :

oompah
Master Sergeant

Postby oompah » Wed 20 May 2015 16:11

I was ranked top 5 in Generals PVP first few months it was out.

In the private beta test I was 100 games in a row 1v1

so I have a pretty good point of reference.

Double war fac, sell the HQ, rush gatlings is how I won 100 in a row. I remember playing an EA dev who LOL'd when I sold my HQ - he said "dude you cant sell your HQ you just lost" - 3 minutes later when I had 20 gatlings crawling his base he just rage quit

I am not the one who said AoA is a spiritual successor to Generals, Alexi the lead designer of AoA did

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Wed 20 May 2015 16:16

oompah wrote:I was ranked top 5 in Generals PVP first few months it was out.

Double war fac, sell the HQ, rush gatlings is how I won 100 in a row. I remember playing an EA dev who LOL'd when I sold my HQ - he said "dude you cant sell your HQ you just lost" - 3 minutes later when I had 20 gatlings crawling his base he just rage quit

I am not the one who said AoA is a spiritual successor to Generals, Alexi the lead designer of AoA did

That sounds boring. I had way more fun in Generals not doing shit like that even if I lost. Unlike other RTS Generals was super fun longer it went.

bluuurrrr
Sergeant First-Class

Postby bluuurrrr » Wed 20 May 2015 16:19

I'm guessing Addy was a troll or something, because he's not very informed on the topic. Just another fine example of our failing school system here in the states.

I think the youtube in the other thread on this board does a great job of summarizing the current areas where AOA falls short - and ironically all those areas were perfected in Generals for the most part.

oompah
Master Sergeant

Postby oompah » Wed 20 May 2015 16:23

well that was what I liked about Generals

You could rush - but a competent player could stalemate you

You could quick tech

you could expand

you could go with a mixed unit army

you could spam

It was all dependent on the situation

The competitive matches were never about spam, it was about expanding and flanking with the right mix of units for the situation. But you could risk it for a biscuit and do a balls out rush.

Lots of cool options, very fun, deep, rewarding experience but still very simple to grasp the core concepts.

bluuurrrr
Sergeant First-Class

Postby bluuurrrr » Wed 20 May 2015 16:24

torinus wrote:

That sounds boring. I had way more fun in Generals not doing shit like that even if I lost. Unlike other RTS Generals was super fun longer it went.

Disagree - I mean if there was constant action - sure a long game was great fun... but sitting around and doing nothing but building gets boring in about 2 minutes. In that case - you probably could have just as much fun in sandbox mode.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Wed 20 May 2015 17:15

bluuurrrr wrote:
torinus wrote:

Disagree - I mean if there was constant action - sure a long game was great fun... but sitting around and doing nothing but building gets boring in about 2 minutes. In that case - you probably could have just as much fun in sandbox mode.

I didn't say do nothing, I am saying doing same tactic each battle just because it brings easiest victory is boring.

guynumber7
Captain

Postby guynumber7 » Wed 20 May 2015 17:16

WHere was the survey? I didnt find it.

Also, the LAST thing i want this game to become is Starcraft 2 with all its cheese bullshit.
youtube.com/guynumber7

wargame vids shall be put up

bluuurrrr
Sergeant First-Class

Postby bluuurrrr » Wed 20 May 2015 17:18

guynumber7 wrote:WHere was the survey? I didnt find it.

Also, the LAST thing i want this game to become is Starcraft 2 with all its cheese bullshit.

I think Starcraft was just used as an example of Action RTS. Generals is the focus here, which was an amazing and addicting Action RTS game and a game mentioned by the developers of AoA.

bluuurrrr
Sergeant First-Class

Postby bluuurrrr » Wed 20 May 2015 17:21

torinus wrote:I didn't say do nothing, I am saying doing same tactic each battle just because it brings easiest victory is boring.

Well in terms of level of competition - easy victory doesn't happen even with the same tactic - but I don't know any player who runs with one strategy. Now if you are playing someone fairly new, yeah you probably could win fairly easily, but I mean if you enjoy playing with someone, the skirmish mode vs easy AI provided you the same opportunity.

Return to “Act of Aggression”