Act of Aggression: Success, Failure or Mediocrity?

KillaJules
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Act of Aggression: Success, Failure or Mediocrity?

Postby KillaJules » Sun 16 Aug 2015 11:38

SentinelX wrote:In all honesty, and after around 30 hours of gameplay, i have the following opinion:

FACTIONS:
Faction are diversified enough and need a different approach to handle correct. More diversity for the sake of it would now only hurt the game. The units sometimes do require awkward micro (Chimera, i'm looking at you...) but nothing to disturbing. Overall the roster feels quite complete while the obvious balance passes sure need to be made... Balance is something that cannot be achieved during (even) the first months of play, as the game is still being figured out and metas are still being created. Give them 3-4 months into release and the game (balance-wise) will feel a lot smoother!

GAMEPLAY:
Overall gameplay feels solid. There are certain tactics for rushes, there are certain tactics for macro heavy games, and usually there is quite a lot going on. While tankspam is very viable, certain infantry combo's can actually wreck tank lines and not being able to be run over (like C&C) adds to the overall power of infantry. Good scouting and response is necessary in any RTS game, and AOA is no different.
Micro, a large part of RTS gameplay, feels a bit off though. Units have few to no abilities and movement and positioning is the only micro you will handle most of times (except artillery pieces firing on targeted positions). Some units could stand to have some active abilities, to handle the skilldifference in players better.

UI and Control:
This is my biggest concern with the game. The game does not feel streamlined at the moment and it feels, at times, as if the UI is fighting the player. Controls and hotkeys are awkward and not reassignable which is, coming from SC2, a shame in my eyes. Controlgrouped production centers should be able to construct as the player desires and unified hotkeys would make this soooo much easier to do.

If these points get fixed/adapted to, i believe Eugen has a chance to bring over players from other RTS franchises, i.e. Planetary Annihilation, Starcraft2, Supcom FA, etc. aswell. This game really has a TON of potential (and having seen them all, from Dune2 up until now), i'm not saying this lightly! This game could be a serious competitor for SC2, but it needs a lot more streamlining, especially in the UI and Control departement!

+1

AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby AndreB » Sun 16 Aug 2015 11:45

KillaJules wrote:
SentinelX wrote:In all honesty, and after around 30 hours of gameplay, i have the following opinion:

FACTIONS:
Faction are diversified enough and need a different approach to handle correct. More diversity for the sake of it would now only hurt the game. The units sometimes do require awkward micro (Chimera, i'm looking at you...) but nothing to disturbing. Overall the roster feels quite complete while the obvious balance passes sure need to be made... Balance is something that cannot be achieved during (even) the first months of play, as the game is still being figured out and metas are still being created. Give them 3-4 months into release and the game (balance-wise) will feel a lot smoother!

GAMEPLAY:
Overall gameplay feels solid. There are certain tactics for rushes, there are certain tactics for macro heavy games, and usually there is quite a lot going on. While tankspam is very viable, certain infantry combo's can actually wreck tank lines and not being able to be run over (like C&C) adds to the overall power of infantry. Good scouting and response is necessary in any RTS game, and AOA is no different.
Micro, a large part of RTS gameplay, feels a bit off though. Units have few to no abilities and movement and positioning is the only micro you will handle most of times (except artillery pieces firing on targeted positions). Some units could stand to have some active abilities, to handle the skilldifference in players better.

UI and Control:
This is my biggest concern with the game. The game does not feel streamlined at the moment and it feels, at times, as if the UI is fighting the player. Controls and hotkeys are awkward and not reassignable which is, coming from SC2, a shame in my eyes. Controlgrouped production centers should be able to construct as the player desires and unified hotkeys would make this soooo much easier to do.

If these points get fixed/adapted to, i believe Eugen has a chance to bring over players from other RTS franchises, i.e. Planetary Annihilation, Starcraft2, Supcom FA, etc. aswell. This game really has a TON of potential (and having seen them all, from Dune2 up until now), i'm not saying this lightly! This game could be a serious competitor for SC2, but it needs a lot more streamlining, especially in the UI and Control departement!

+1

yup agreed

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Sun 16 Aug 2015 12:59

rawalanche wrote:Final release should be definitely postponed, and some things, even those touching core game mechanics should be revisited. Otherwise the game will go dead once initial hype is over. Currently, there's not enough to keep mainstream player interested. I don't think releasing in a month would result in anything more than sales covering initial investment.

I would especially avoid calling it Generals or C&C spiritual successor, or oldschool RTS game in general. If you establish such expectation in players, and then provide them with what we have now, they will be done with the game after first hour of gameplay. It may end up being good RTS, even very good RTS, but it still won't touch the quality level of any pre-2008 C&C games (Tiberium Wars and earlier).

I agree, mentioning Generals is a bad idea. The Act of Satellite View has very little in common with C&C Generals. It is slower, less visceral and factions are less diverse. Also some choices like basic infantry being able to capture buildings is very different from Generals that learned that lesson from previous C&C games and moved that ability to specialized (and costly) units.

I also want to add that they mentioned wanting to make their version of C&C Generals 2 but then just made a game that is half way between Wargame and Generals. Now they got fans of both games angry.

Saavedra
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Saavedra » Sun 16 Aug 2015 22:03

I played the game an hour or so, then asked for a refund.

The fact is that if Eugen wanted to make a new Generals game, they should have followed some of the same principles Generals followed, such as faction charisma, comfortable UI and colourful designs.

Faction charisma means that each faction stands out from the others not only in units and gameplay, but in character. Generals had the bombastically heroic/chauvinistic USA, the patriotically expansionist China, and the hilariously terroristic GLA. Each faction had a very specific feel that suited their gameplay, units and music. And, very important, this feel could be found in the multiplayer section of the game even without having played the campaign. Meanwhile, AoA´s factions (at least the USA and Chimera that I tried before the refund) are very, very bland. There is hardly any way to distinguish them, thematically or visually. This problem comes, in part, from the choice Eugen made about the graphics. They decided to go for realism, but they went for it with the most vanilla side of realism: most units have way too similar colours that blend together to become completely forgettable (and difficult to pick out sometimes). Also, the UI hardly changes (think of how in Warcraft, the mouse pointer would be a knight´s gauntlet or a bleeding orc arm depending on what faction you chose). The satellite view is the same for all factions, using the same dimensions and icons when satellite view could probably have been used to differentiate the factions further not only in terms of aesthetics and character, but in utility.

Comfortable UI. No need to talk about this. All the problems with it have been already pointed out.

Colourful design. Now, this ties in with what I mentioned about faction charisma, but goes further than that. It´s not just that factions don´t have a particular feel and that they can sometimes be lost in the maps... the maps and menus are also very subdued. It is as if someone thought the "brown military shooter" visuals should be applied to an RTS, and that gave us the AoA visuals. The maps are difficult to care about. Generals had visually striking maps, but the ones in AoA are just... there. Which wouldn´t be a problem if this was intended to make the units stand out more. But they don´t, so there you go.

All of this together gave me a terrible first impression, and that is what made me request a refund. Now that refunds are a thing on Steam, videogame devs are going to have to deliver good first impressions, or get off Steam and try to do their own thing so they can get people to buy their games. With any luck, that will mean devs taking a step back and reevaluating what they are doing when they release half-baked games... but going back to AoA´s particular case: the game is just not gripping. And to be honest, while I´m sure many people love RTSes more than me (I prefer tactical games like Wargame), I don´t see that many falling heads over heels for this when they probably have their Generals discs around and a link to fan communities to find people to play over Hamachi...

OR they could play Act of War.

Scrooge
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Scrooge » Mon 17 Aug 2015 06:11

When and where have they compared or called it a spiritual successor of generals? I see a lot of people complaining about it, but I have never seen eugen say something like that.
imminent
im•mi•nent (ˈɪm ə nənt) - adj. - likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Mon 17 Aug 2015 10:13

Scrooge wrote:When and where have they compared or called it a spiritual successor of generals? I see a lot of people complaining about it, but I have never seen eugen say something like that.

Check out their videos in last few months before beta release. They say multiple times they are big Generals fans and didn't like what Generals 2 was about and then it got canceled and they decided to make their own version of Generals.

Col_Sandfurz
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Col_Sandfurz » Mon 17 Aug 2015 16:37

torinus wrote:
Scrooge wrote:When and where have they compared or called it a spiritual successor of generals? I see a lot of people complaining about it, but I have never seen eugen say something like that.

Check out their videos in last few months before beta release. They say multiple times they are big Generals fans and didn't like what Generals 2 was about and then it got canceled and they decided to make their own version of Generals.

Do you see what I have highligthed? That's exactly the point, it is THEIR version of Generals, not yous. They can make it whatever they want and whatever they think was good of C&C and delete that what was bad in their eyes. This perception may or may not be the same as yours...

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Mon 17 Aug 2015 16:46

Col_Sandfurz wrote:
torinus wrote:

Do you see what I have highligthed? That's exactly the point, it is THEIR version of Generals, not yous. They can make it whatever they want and whatever they think was good of C&C and delete that what was bad in their eyes. This perception may or may not be the same as yours...

They can make flying sheep with machineguns and call it their version as well, what is your point?

It is obvious many General fans on these boards are not happy with their current version of Generals and are point out the biggest problems.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Tue 18 Aug 2015 05:58

torinus wrote:
Col_Sandfurz wrote:They can make flying sheep with machineguns and call it their version as well, what is your point?

It is obvious many General fans on these boards are not happy with their current version of Generals and are point out the biggest problems.

Is that so? If I remember well AoA is first and foremost a rendition to Act of War, which while had a lot of Generals mechanics, was a game in its own.

In the end things boild down to what people look at the game, if they find what they were looking for, then all good, else, well, there is still a time for a refund, as you pointed out, if you find this is a mud tart then no matter how much effort ES puts in, it will still be a mud tart.

Uppy
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Uppy » Wed 19 Aug 2015 13:47

without speaking 2 much , this is the best rts we got in years

fix UI and Controls add a feature to reassign hotkeys , get sli working

and launch this awesome game

( AoA is what generals 2 should have been ,and as an alpha player of gen 2 , AoA is way better )

Return to “Act of Aggression”