The absurdiness of details in RTS

Kozzmozz
Sergeant First-Class

The absurdiness of details in RTS

Postby Kozzmozz » Sun 30 Aug 2015 02:36

-This is just a late night food for thought, not a complaint or anything-

During a chill out game session , i was zooming in and WASD'ing over the map and actually thought by myself how absurd the level of detail was ingame.
Don't get me wrong , its nice eyecandy and I like it but on the otherhand for example, why do i want to watch license plates of vehicles in an RTS game??
we can zoom in insanely and enjoy all the tiny details of the buildings, vehicles, landscapes wich is something you check out when you bought the game, but does it make it better?
The guys did a great job, but the downside of all this is that it costs performance and fps, hence even the zooming out was a problem due to performance issues since there were a lot of "so detailed assets" on the map that would hurt performance wise.

Why in the first place arent devs making games the other way around I wonder? No one plays completely zoomed in watching all this eyecandy, everyone has done it to have a look and so but besides that, its never used. But still RTS devs seem to make it a sport to make their games so zoomed in that you can see every detail. Its not just AoA, others have done the same and are still doing that,
but do we players actually ask or need this?

I think we like it and would love to have it but if you would point out the things we would miss due all this, we would say no to it.

Why do you guys think almost every RTS game lets us zoom in nearly to 3d person view? for screenshots? more sales since it looks good better then, ... ?

Orao21
Corporal

Re: The absurdiness of details in RTS

Postby Orao21 » Sun 30 Aug 2015 03:42

So you prefer this

Rather than this

Well it is your pick.

However WiC has some nice GFX and full zoom out feature.

Kozzmozz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Kozzmozz » Sun 30 Aug 2015 04:08

do you play at that zoom level in picture 2? no.
do you play at zoom level in picture 3? no.

Thats my point, this game looks awesome fully zoomed in, a lot of details, shadows, its nice! But first, you dont play like that, and second, if it costs u a lot of performance in larger games or even game modes (10v10 ?) then imho its not worth it.
It has to look good at a certain height agreed. but it doesnt have to look like an FPS tank or unit like in CoD or BF.

noodlesocks
Sergeant Major

Postby noodlesocks » Sun 30 Aug 2015 04:26

It's the little details put together that make the big picture look good. After all, you can make the game look like a bunch of coloured blocks shooting dots at other blocks and the gameplay would still be exactly the same but would it be as fun and exciting to experience? Would you benefit from the same degree of immersion? Probably not. So yes, as tech improves... as players are running on higher resolutions and (referring to this game in particular) playing from further away from the ground, those little details are important in building a more immersive and enjoyable environment to play in.

Sure, one little license plate probably won't change anything if it was just a low res texture you'll probably never see but to apply such a conservative approach across all the small details in the game will compound in making the game appear to have less fidelity than it could have.

Ark07
Staff Sergeant

Postby Ark07 » Sun 30 Aug 2015 04:32

Ive raised this issue with the devs and so far the have been two promises of graphical improvements when fully zoomed out without performance loss. They washed out all that detail when your zoomed out, I personally find the graphics on this game to be rather poor on max settings, however as you say when you zoom in the detail is amazing I wish we could get that same detail when fully zoomed out. The only people who are truly satisfied are those using resolutions above 1080p, if this game was designed for 4k textures then the recommended specs should of been a lot higher.

That said currently I run the game really well at 80-95fps with everything maxed I can tell however that the graphical side of the game needs further optimization, If your right and the game is rendering all that detail that you only see when zooming in whilst rendering the washed out zoom quality then they need to fix this. I personally think that's whats happening look at the detail difference when fully zoomed in verse fully zoomed out its shocking a disgrace older rts games look far better.
He who controls the battlefield, controls history.

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Sun 30 Aug 2015 06:20

This is why i liked the unit camera in Wargame. You could watch the pretty tanks and still see what was going on. I have no idea why that wasn't included in AoA.

dalekdan
Corporal

Postby dalekdan » Sun 30 Aug 2015 06:39

Ark07 wrote:Ive raised this issue with the devs and so far the have been two promises of graphical improvements when fully zoomed out without performance loss. They washed out all that detail when your zoomed out, I personally find the graphics on this game to be rather poor on max settings, however as you say when you zoom in the detail is amazing I wish we could get that same detail when fully zoomed out. The only people who are truly satisfied are those using resolutions above 1080p, if this game was designed for 4k textures then the recommended specs should of been a lot higher.

That said currently I run the game really well at 80-95fps with everything maxed I can tell however that the graphical side of the game needs further optimization, If your right and the game is rendering all that detail that you only see when zooming in whilst rendering the washed out zoom quality then they need to fix this. I personally think that's whats happening look at the detail difference when fully zoomed in verse fully zoomed out its shocking a disgrace older rts games look far better.

Which ones?? Screens?

Ark07
Staff Sergeant

Postby Ark07 » Sun 30 Aug 2015 07:53

Which ones?? Screens?

The promise from devs, viewtopic.php?f=192&t=54229

My test and screenshots, viewtopic.php?f=195&t=54532
He who controls the battlefield, controls history.

WarriorWounds
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby WarriorWounds » Sun 30 Aug 2015 08:34

Wow, we've come full circle, people complaining that a game looks too good.

cheesenium
Corporal

Postby cheesenium » Sun 30 Aug 2015 08:37

I dont even understand why people complaining a game for looking good.

Return to “Act of Aggression”