The absurdiness of details in RTS

Ark07
Staff Sergeant

Re: The absurdiness of details in RTS

Postby Ark07 » Sun 30 Aug 2015 09:34

My point was that it doesn't look good enough zoomed out
He who controls the battlefield, controls history.

AceRevo
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AceRevo » Sun 30 Aug 2015 10:19

Why should we not have this option?? I mean, if you have spent 1-2000k on a gaming computer one would ofcourse want to see details like this... I mean, we do have the option to turn the details down.. As an example I cannot see the lisence plates becosue my settings is low/medium (why Im running on this low settings is another story..). But if I could run it on MAX settings, yes I would love to see details like this.. You honestly think that just becouse it is an RTS it should and could look something like CnC Generals? I mean, come on its 2015 xD

ace40k
Sergeant Major

Postby ace40k » Sun 30 Aug 2015 12:18

devs: reduce unnecessary detail to make game run fast and more responsive
community: "not enough detail in the maps... graphics are subpar... this sucks"

devs: put a lot of detail into maps and make the game look beautiful
community: "too much detail, who has time to look at all this in an RTS game?"

in my eyes you're raising pretty much a non-issue here. if you dont like the detail in maps or think it's hurting your performance, go lower your gfx settings in the option menu. i am here to enjoy the beauty and level of detail of this game. that said, i like the possibility to be able to zoom in and see my units move and fight. even if there is no actualy point of it in terms of gameplay. it's just cool watching the action from up close.
"Where do you need a flying tank?" - SuperHind

Kozzmozz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Kozzmozz » Sun 30 Aug 2015 13:33

i am running this game on a good computer, got all maxed out and it runs smoothly, I think some don't get my point tbh.
This is not a post to complain or to adress an issue etc... .

its was just a thought I had about the effectiveness of it all and wether this is something us , the RTS players are interested in and that devs should keep walking this path of super detailed units, terrain, 3d person zoom etc... .

Orao21
Corporal

Postby Orao21 » Sun 30 Aug 2015 14:59

the RTS players are interested in and that devs should keep walking this path of super detailed units, terrain, 3d person zoom etc... .

Short anwser.

Hell yes ppl are intrested. Otherwise we will all play Panzer General series....

More GFX detail the better. I want to watch my replays fully zoomed in on action.

pabloXXX
Sergeant

Postby pabloXXX » Mon 31 Aug 2015 18:19

For me,
there is no real absurdiness of details in RTS Games. Like many others already said, the game gets just more "Life" through better and more details. Of course it´s till important to keep the performance up!

I like details to see, like recoil of Tank guns, or trees shaking in the wind, cause sometimes you have the time to just enjoy the graphics.

And, like a real good player of AoA already said...to make such a game is also doing Art, you know, beeing creative!

pablo

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Mon 31 Aug 2015 18:47

Have to agree with Ark07 about some details missing when the player is at max zoom out level. Devs seem to have plans for that:

Wister wrote:PATCHLOG v.401

KNOWN ISSUES COMING WITH THE PATCH:

[*]Some adjustements to be made to the new zoom out view (performances and details to be improved).

in particular, base buildings and flora loose some details or textures and even the model is sometimes changing when at max zoom out level, and approaching the border of the FOV. (something to do with hardware/geometry instancing settings?)

same for the missing recoil effect for tanks with full zoom out for example.

not a game breaker for sure, but all visual details are sweet to the eye!

some news about deterioration effects for the banks regarding their HP left? ;)
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

C&CIsDead
Staff Sergeant

Postby C&CIsDead » Tue 1 Sep 2015 04:13

Guys you need to understand something. The more you zoom in the details gets better. So when you in max zoom out the small details 'disappears' so no big change in performanc here.

Return to “Act of Aggression”