Huge issue - can't see what army you play against

ForestLaw
Private First-Class

Re: Huge issue - can't see what army you play against

Postby ForestLaw » Thu 3 Sep 2015 08:23

Just show both player's names, ranks and faction in the loading screen and when you hit enter. It limits how you start since everyone opens vs a possible US recon cheese. If you want it to be a secret play random.

MrHyena
Sergeant

Postby MrHyena » Thu 3 Sep 2015 10:11

This would make Cartel unplayable.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Thu 3 Sep 2015 11:35

VJS161Fire wrote:I like the surprise effect of the ranked games, because I have to do all the basics:
+ recon the map and your enemy
+ build a instant defensive force (for myself, I place 1 marine and 2-3 vipers in the base to prevent recon rushes)
+ prepare for everything :mrgreen:

Plus, because your enemy also don't know which faction you play, prevents him to use a specific build order against a specific faction - remember: They also don't know, which faction you are. ;)

I like that we don't know which map we'll play, as well.

Kind regards,
Fire

USA players don't care what faction you play. They can harass both chimera and especially cartel and have 50/50 to do damage vs another USA player.

Netput
First Sergeant

Postby Netput » Thu 3 Sep 2015 21:17

Exactly. Map should also show on loading screen btw. Makes it way easier to start your game
Visit AoAReplays.com for your Strategies, Replays, Videos and more!

HarryD
Master Sergeant

Postby HarryD » Wed 9 Sep 2015 11:50

You do aware that the recon is a part of any real RTS game, right? FoW and random resources are here for a reason.
Besides, I never had a problem with recon rush - turrets on crucial spots (no more than 2) and a few javelins/SAS/Scorpions will do the trick. Stryker mortar rush could really be a problem however, especially for the...US with its absence of T1 helis
Furthermore I consider that Buratino must lose it's NPLM trait.

HarryD in Steam and Wargame RD

Previously known as Wore on the forums

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Wed 9 Sep 2015 11:59

HarryD wrote:You do aware that the recon is a part of any real RTS game, right? FoW and random resources are here for a reason.
Besides, I never had a problem with recon rush - turrets on crucial spots (no more than 2) and a few javelins/SAS/Scorpions will do the trick. Stryker mortar rush could really be a problem however, especially for the...US with its absence of T1 helis

Recon rush actually means they send the starting recon straight to your base and kill your harvesters. Chimera recon is slower and has shorter range and cannot defend vs this. Cartel recon has no weapons. So both factions need to know if they are playing vs USA to build SAS/Vipers from barracks to defend vs this or they can lose lots of resource harvesters. If you only start building these after the recon is already in your base it is too late.

Basura Nephilim
Corporal

Postby Basura Nephilim » Wed 9 Sep 2015 14:04

Actually I ran into a player that knows what I played. So he instantly made a counter move, that killed my scout, then ruined my economy. All before I could respond properly.

Cartel always starts out with 2 - 4 vipers to defend.
That's why you always build barracks first.
It defends against both Chimera and US. But if you'r up against the US on certain maps it's still a hassle, because the Humvee outfights, outranges, and is faster (even when heavily damaged) than Vipers.

The defense units slow your build a bit, but it's very doable. Though I think it will be SO much more hard for Cartel without the element of surprise. Chimera will always get an early turret, USA will always bumrush you with heli's with stingers to murder your eco.

So, map in loading screen? Yes pls. Prefferably with the locations of resources on them, so newer people can learn the map and more expirienced ones can make a strategem.
Faction? No thank you. (if that does happen, there would need to be balance changes for every faction)

HarryD
Master Sergeant

Postby HarryD » Wed 9 Sep 2015 14:16

torinus wrote:
HarryD wrote:You do aware that the recon is a part of any real RTS game, right? FoW and random resources are here for a reason.

Recon rush actually means they send the starting recon straight to your base and kill your harvesters. Chimera recon is slower and has shorter range and cannot defend vs this. Cartel recon has no weapons. So both factions need to know if they are playing vs USA to build SAS/Vipers from barracks to defend vs this or they can lose lots of resource harvesters. If you only start building these after the recon is already in your base it is too late.

Ah, you're talking about resource recon rush...well, anyway, building the troops early in every game isn't an option either? Resource recon could be one-shot killed by SAS
Furthermore I consider that Buratino must lose it's NPLM trait.

HarryD in Steam and Wargame RD

Previously known as Wore on the forums

Netput
First Sergeant

Postby Netput » Wed 9 Sep 2015 14:43

The problem with not knowing your opponent faction is that you ALWAYS have to build a few vipers or a SAS at the beginning. If you don't do this you are playing build order poker. Which obviously is a terrible thing. A win should never ever be based on luck (yay, i didn't face US!), but on skill. Because of this forced start you are limiting possible openings hugely and therefore the game is more boring and predictable.
Visit AoAReplays.com for your Strategies, Replays, Videos and more!

Booom3
Corporal

Postby Booom3 » Wed 9 Sep 2015 15:54

I don't see how this is even a discussion really. It's just a pure oversight. You should always see what race the opponent picks unless they random. (and in a lot of games it's considered good manner to tell your opponent which race you got when the game starts if you random)

Return to “Act of Aggression”