Scouting, and the lack of it

Booom3
Corporal
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri 17 Jul 2015 10:40
Contact:

Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby Booom3 » Fri 4 Sep 2015 16:49

It is really hard, if not impossible to scout. You make the vast majority of your decisions completely in the dark. This is a big issue because you can't see what's coming. It severely diminishes the strategy aspect of the game by not letting you respond properly to threats.

It's very, very easy on the vast majority of maps to completely lock down your base before the enemy scout vehicle can even reach your base. On some you can even ambush it from on top of a hill causing you to instantly lose your scout, and with it the resources AND unscouted resource locations. But it's almost necessary to do because some strategies are just so very strong if you don't see them coming. All in all scouting is a lose/lose situation right now. By the time you can get reasonably affordable flying scout vehicles (unless you're playing cartel) their plan will already be in motion and it'll be far too late to respond to it.

As for a solution, I think the best option would be a 2 HP unarmored, unarmed UAV that costs 200 cash, has a small vision radius (smaller than the marine, does not detect stealth), and is about as fast as a kmax cargo available for all factions in the barracks.

User avatar
AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 18:49
Location: Mars Republic
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby AndreB » Fri 4 Sep 2015 16:58

Booom3 wrote:It is really hard, if not impossible to scout. You make the vast majority of your decisions completely in the dark. This is a big issue because you can't see what's coming. It severely diminishes the strategy aspect of the game by not letting you respond properly to threats.

It's very, very easy on the vast majority of maps to completely lock down your base before the enemy scout vehicle can even reach your base. On some you can even ambush it from on top of a hill causing you to instantly lose your scout, and with it the resources AND unscouted resource locations. But it's almost necessary to do because some strategies are just so very strong if you don't see them coming. All in all scouting is a lose/lose situation right now. By the time you can get reasonably affordable flying scout vehicles (unless you're playing cartel) their plan will already be in motion and it'll be far too late to respond to it.

As for a solution, I think the best option would be a 2 HP unarmored, unarmed UAV that costs 200 cash, has a small vision radius (smaller than the marine, does not detect stealth), and is about as fast as a kmax cargo available for all factions in the barracks.



One of the things why i like playing cartel is you have the best scouting options in the game, it allows to deny cheese on almost 99% of the cases.

But yes overall US has weird and bad scouting until defcon 2.
Last edited by AndreB on Fri 4 Sep 2015 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

AceRevo
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun 7 Sep 2014 20:20
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby AceRevo » Fri 4 Sep 2015 17:19

+1

User avatar
Gnougnou
Sergeant Major
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue 26 May 2015 23:27
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby Gnougnou » Fri 4 Sep 2015 18:12

I'm not sure what you are talking about ?

Chimera has Ninja which is stealth.
Cartel can use their scout.
USA has Sniper team, or Littlebird.

User avatar
Selkares
Brigadier
Posts: 3340
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 17:46
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby Selkares » Fri 4 Sep 2015 18:22

Gnougnou wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about ?

Chimera has Ninja which is stealth.
Cartel can use their scout.
USA has Sniper team, or Littlebird.

That really aren't early game options.
What's missing is the ability to scout really early (see if the enemy is going macro or aggressive) without compromizing your ressource scouting.

User avatar
AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 18:49
Location: Mars Republic
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby AndreB » Fri 4 Sep 2015 18:25

Gnougnou wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about ?

Chimera has Ninja which is stealth.
Cartel can use their scout.
USA has Sniper team, or Littlebird.


Cartel can use their starting scout and harvestors yes, best scouting in the game atm.

Chimera is forced into getting a factory to do it overall with ninjas, but its still good enough.

US generaly only has the M993 as the reliable scouting until defcon2, you can argue they can go humvees but for US it seems getting any kind of vehicle bay before defcon 2 is a hurdle for them.
Last edited by AndreB on Fri 4 Sep 2015 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby torinus » Fri 4 Sep 2015 18:56

So what about sending a harvester to scout? They are fairly cheap and fast?

User avatar
Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu 23 Jul 2015 22:57
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby Megiddo » Fri 4 Sep 2015 19:31

yes. just like a VCS in SC2 can make the early scouting job.
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

UltiBahamut
Corporal
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 21 Aug 2015 19:31
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby UltiBahamut » Fri 4 Sep 2015 20:21

torinus wrote:So what about sending a harvester to scout? They are fairly cheap and fast?


This what i've been doing as cartel, send my 1st kmax from my oil refinery to their base after it drops off its first load. This way I don't lose the 1500 recon kmax and can still scout around for the resources. Though I think it is harder for chimera/USA due to their scouts not being as fast and pretty whimpy hp wise. But i'm pretty sure there is no reason cartel shouldn't do it.

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: Scouting, and the lack of it

Postby torinus » Fri 4 Sep 2015 22:43

UltiBahamut wrote:
torinus wrote:So what about sending a harvester to scout? They are fairly cheap and fast?


This what i've been doing as cartel, send my 1st kmax from my oil refinery to their base after it drops off its first load. This way I don't lose the 1500 recon kmax and can still scout around for the resources. Though I think it is harder for chimera/USA due to their scouts not being as fast and pretty whimpy hp wise. But i'm pretty sure there is no reason cartel shouldn't do it.

USA/Chimera harvesters are not slower then recon vehicles and are cheaper. No reason not to use it to scout.

Return to “Act of Aggression”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests