Unit Delay

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Unit Delay

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:10

Uppy wrote:one thing though can some dev confirm if unit delay is being worked on

It has been worked on, several options considered & tested ... but in the end, it always comes down to the same dilemma: to reduce unit delay means drastically downgrading the performances of lesser machines.
Therefore it won't be done since it would mean making the game unplayable for some players.

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby torinus » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:15

Can't we turn down some other graphical options to get back to same performance? I would gladly trade graphic fidelity for better unit control.
Reducing the effects of this delay is crucial if you want the game to attract in long term any number of serious gamers (and there are millions of Sc2 players that cannot play sc2 only and are looking for other RTS that give them smooth control).

chemdude8
Corporal
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed 13 May 2015 18:17
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby chemdude8 » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:26

+1 for Torunis in 3 years people will have better computers but they won't be playing this game at that point with the delay. CnC generals didn't even run on any computer that wasn't really new. People with good pc's enjoyed it and others had to buy the game when their pc could handle it (1 year later with the expansion pack).

The 67% positive reviews isn't because the game ran smoothly on enough people's machines. It's because you've made a great game that you handicap yourself with the low end pc's holding basic functionality hostage.

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby torinus » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:33

chemdude8 wrote:+1 for Torunis in 3 years people will have better computers but they won't be playing this game at that point with the delay. CnC generals didn't even run on any computer that wasn't really new. People with good pc's enjoyed it and others had to buy the game when their pc could handle it (1 year later with the expansion pack).

The 67% positive reviews isn't because the game ran smoothly on enough people's machines. It's because you've made a great game that you handicap yourself with the low end pc's holding basic functionality hostage.

This. Go through those reviews, how many complain that game looks bad or runs bad (except those that have SLI which game does not support)?
Most complaints are about gameplay features or UI.

Uppy
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu 14 May 2015 00:11
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby Uppy » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:36

well all the respect to Eugen point of view on unit delay which is as people described a crucial issue ,

this must be a top priority to address its a real strategy game not a first person shooter game where graphic attract people

please fix it for rts lover as yourself and us

thanks

Kakashii
Private First-Class
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu 1 Oct 2015 01:42
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby Kakashii » Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:56

Why so much love for people with low end PCs?

In my opinion if their PC is low end their priority is probably not computer gaming. They most likely will not be the type of players to stick around and buy all expansions.

However if the game is good enough they may save up money and upgrade there PC by the time the next expansion releases.

Predatorrrr
Master Sergeant
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri 21 Aug 2015 01:42
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby Predatorrrr » Tue 20 Oct 2015 18:03

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Uppy wrote:one thing though can some dev confirm if unit delay is being worked on

It has been worked on, several options considered & tested ... but in the end, it always comes down to the same dilemma: to reduce unit delay means drastically downgrading the performances of lesser machines.
Therefore it won't be done since it would mean making the game unplayable for some players.


So why is even a C&C from 1995 better in this respect?

User avatar
ZxGanon
Sergeant Major
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 01:44
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby ZxGanon » Tue 20 Oct 2015 18:09

I like that patch it is a pretty cool one and solves a lot of issues.

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Uppy wrote:one thing though can some dev confirm if unit delay is being worked on

It has been worked on, several options considered & tested ... but in the end, it always comes down to the same dilemma: to reduce unit delay means drastically downgrading the performances of lesser machines.
Therefore it won't be done since it would mean making the game unplayable for some players.

Wait a minute didn´t you told us the same when we all debated about the "Zoom Problematic"?
It woulnd´t really be a bad thing if people with bad PC´s cannot play the game anymore since those people are no real gamers anyway.
I mean what the f*** having a good PC shouldn´t be an issue as a real gamer so.

Btw. are you going to peform a ladder reasett? Since a lot of people left the game and changes keep the game less static it would a good move.
Last edited by ZxGanon on Tue 20 Oct 2015 18:17, edited 3 times in total.
Gather My Cartel Children The Father Of Superhinds Is Calling!

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby torinus » Tue 20 Oct 2015 18:15

torinus wrote:Can't we turn down some other graphical options to get back to same performance? I would gladly trade graphic fidelity for better unit control.
Reducing the effects of this delay is crucial if you want the game to attract in long term any number of serious gamers (and there are millions of Sc2 players that cannot play sc2 only and are looking for other RTS that give them smooth control).

Or if this is not possible look for other way to improve unit control like what I proposed in another topic, give all units much bigger acceleration and deceleration so they can reach top speed and stop super fast. Give them all much faster turn rate.
Split micro works really badly with delay, maybe implement automatic scatter command like C&C had. Make units do less damage but fire faster so to make the illusion of everything being faster and more smooth.

User avatar
Salsifi
Warrant Officer
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat 21 Feb 2015 15:48
Contact:

Re: [AoA] Patch v.686: "Infantry patch"

Postby Salsifi » Tue 20 Oct 2015 18:23

ZxGanon wrote:It woulnd´t really be a bad thing if people with bad PC´s cannot play the game anymore since those people are no real gamers anyway.
I mean what the f*** having a good PC shouldn´t be an issue as a real gamer so.


:shock:

And you are a real player ? :roll:
Your "power" is limited to your virtual reality.

Open the window of your room, you need really to see the real world again to remember that you are not better than the coomon human :lol:

Return to “Act of Aggression”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest