View radius in Satellite View

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

View radius in Satellite View

Postby admiralzeech » Sat 31 Oct 2015 00:49

I wish we could see unit's view radius in satellite view... is there a way? If not, I hereby make an enhancement request to Eugen :P

Edit:
It seems the sentence is a bit ambiguous.
To clarify, I want satellite view to display how far the unit can see / the fog of war, just like regular view.

I'm not talking about how far their weapons can shoot.
Last edited by admiralzeech on Mon 2 Nov 2015 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Gnougnou
Sergeant Major

Re: View radius in Satellite View

Postby Gnougnou » Sat 31 Oct 2015 13:46

+1. This is really annoying !

AceRevo
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AceRevo » Sun 1 Nov 2015 22:54

I dont like this idea at all.. IMO it would ruin the game.

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

Postby admiralzeech » Sun 1 Nov 2015 22:56

AceRevo wrote:I dont like this idea at all.. IMO it would ruin the game.

That's a bit extreme. How would it ruin the game?

I'll bet, if it was like that from the beginning, you wouldn't think twice about it, and wouldn't ask for it to be removed or anything.

AceRevo

Postby AceRevo » Mon 2 Nov 2015 04:37

admiralzeech wrote:
AceRevo wrote:I dont like this idea at all.. IMO it would ruin the game.

That's a bit extreme. How would it ruin the game?

I'll bet, if it was like that from the beginning, you wouldn't think twice about it, and wouldn't ask for it to be removed or anything.

Maybe youre right, but for now Im glad there is only view range on artillery units/defensive buildings.

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

Postby admiralzeech » Mon 2 Nov 2015 10:28

AceRevo wrote:Maybe youre right, but for now Im glad there is only view range on artillery units/defensive buildings.

But why? Is it because you feel that satellite view will then be completely superior, and everyone would be forced to use it in order to compete, basically making terrible graphics mandatory?

AceRevo

Postby AceRevo » Mon 2 Nov 2015 11:43

admiralzeech wrote:
AceRevo wrote:Maybe youre right, but for now Im glad there is only view range on artillery units/defensive buildings.

But why? Is it because you feel that satellite view will then be completely superior, and everyone would be forced to use it in order to compete, basically making terrible graphics mandatory?

Making satelilite view superority is also a negativity by adding view range to all units in sat view. But this is not where my consern is. Most players that play competitive plays in this view anyways.. My consern is that it will be too easy to micro your units from not getting killed etc becosue of this view range and you have now eliminated one set of skills for beeing good.

This view range will kill the competitive part of the game making the game easier, kinda like dumbing it down. Im pretty sure thats why we only got view range to artillery units and defensive buildings. Even if this thread gets hyped up about this issue, Im not really that worried about Eugen changing this. But then again, they have dumbed down the game before becosue the community whined about it......

Please dont dumb down the game :)

Edit: English is not my native language. But Im sure you understand what Im trying to say :P

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Mon 2 Nov 2015 12:06

I don't play in Sat View because I cannot micro anything in it.
But I think unit range display is not needed for all units, that is one of the things players should learn by themselves. That falls under player skill that should always be important in a RTS.
Just like how I tell my Scorpios to hold fire while standing by refinery so I can manually shoot at harvesters instead of them shooting at refinery and not having reloaded while harvester is passing by.

TheRev
First Sergeant

Postby TheRev » Mon 2 Nov 2015 15:17

Play enough and you will intuitively know a units view radius without needing it displayed. I think it should stay like this, there should always be benefits to putting a lot of practice into an RTS.

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

Postby admiralzeech » Mon 2 Nov 2015 16:01

AceRevo wrote:This view range will kill the competitive part of the game making the game easier, kinda like dumbing it down. Im pretty sure thats why we only got view range to artillery units and defensive buildings. Even if this thread gets hyped up about this issue, Im not really that worried about Eugen changing this. But then again, they have dumbed down the game before becosue the community whined about it......

Please dont dumb down the game :)

Oh, this again.
(BTW, I mean how far a unit can see / fog of war, not how far they can shoot. Basically, the same as normal view.)

- I think pathfinding is dumbing down the game. You should have to lay down waypoints for each unit.
- I think being able to pan the camera is dumbing down the game. Skillful players can do it all from the minimap.
- I think being able to select more than 12 units at once is dumbing down the game. Starcraft 1 only let you select 12 units, and it was the most skillful RTS ever.
- You know people are asking unit AI to be fixed so they follow orders and shoot at the things they are commanded to? I oppose that change, because it's dumbing down the game. It takes more skill to micro units so that only the target you want them to shoot at is in their range.
- I think having the unit AI shoot automatically at enemies is dumbing down the game. It's more skill if you need to micro every single shot. Actually, it's even more skillful if you have to aim the shot manually, and then the game zooms inside the tank where you do a "load ammo" minigame. If you drop the shell accidentally inside the tank, the tank explodes.
- I think fixing the 500ms unit command delay is dumbing down the game. It's more skillful if you have to predict what commands you need to give the units ahead of time.
- I think displaying view radius in normal view is dumbing down the game. Because the "dumbing down" argument against view radius in satellite view also applies to normal view as well.

.... I think having graphics is dumbing down the game. A skillful player can win blindfolded, just by remembering where his units are meant to be.

So yeah, basically I completely reject the idea that making the UI bad somehow leads to a more skillful game. Otherwise the most skillful game ever does not display your units or HUD, requires you to accurately type entire sentences just to command a unit, and only allows mouse control with your feet.

You want your UI to be as good as possible, like running shoes, to allow skillful players to reach new levels of performance. Not tie a ball and chain around their ankles, because it takes more "skill" to crawl along dragging 30kg behind you.
Last edited by admiralzeech on Mon 2 Nov 2015 16:11, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Act of Aggression”