What went wrong with this game?

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: What did went wrong by this game ? And will that be fixed ? Act of Aggression does cost my Loyalty to this developer

Postby Megiddo » Sat 20 Feb 2016 23:36

- Way less resource sites on the maps, lasting longer, and located at key strategic locations. better income for the banks to have some cash in order to attack/control map earlier. Eco buildings have to cost way more.

- Reworked map design : more tactical opportunities : elevations, ramps, choke points, miradors or bunkers, and useful scenery elements : forests to hide, corners of buildings, trees, rocks, stone walls, empty vehicles...for now the major part of those elements (including many buildings) are transparent and don't even obstruct the LOS. the result is a superficial combat gameplay.

- controls, shortcuts, formations (vehicles+choppers, real formations for jets and bombers), tweaks for the management of roads, plenty of things to improve.

- BETTER HP FOR ALL UNITS, specially for the first ones (the game design has to give some depth and technicity to the combat part, and more viable strategies, unit choices or gameplay techniques to snowball and win a game). HIGHER LEVELS FOR THE PRICES, RESEARCH TIMES and POWER of units, as we go to the upper tiers. Less units=breath for the engine=more micro= :D.

- Economy and expense system : same form for the incomes and the expenses : full flux, or full direct. Plus a real interface information giving the global income/global expense ratio per resource type. improvements for building queues, priorisations, switching orders/pause possibilities, construction unit system...

- Interface : Colored icons, or representations so the player can identify at first glance the tier needed to unlock an upgrade, or the tiers required to unlock such or such unit. At best a real tech tree with its own interface window. grouped icons for planes (1 for a whole formation), specific icons on the gameplay screen to send a medevac or a heal/revive skill when unlocked (as in AoW)...

- COMBAT IMPROVEMENTS : armors (front/side/rear), dispersion or dodge rates/hit rates, more realistic ranges and ROF, abnormal statuses, triggered abilities or the possibility to activate/deactivate the different weapon types...(as Wargame), threats priorisation or firing authorisations...

- Maps, different landscapes, visual and audio effects, cosmetic for lobbys, game modes, veterancy system.....

Gnougnou wrote:
EDIT : I'm not sure about why they locked the other thread about the patch ?

D-M wrote:Because Orcbuster is very mean.

Then, he'll have to close about three quarters of the threads contained in AoA' section, because he won't find much of them where we're happily singing "kumbaya Eugen" in choir :lol:

Heh, asking for answers and news at this stage is the least of things in my opinion. No insults, no flame wars, just putting the devs in front of their responsibilities, and reminding them our legitimate expectations. ;)
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

McNash
Lieutenant

Re: What did went wrong by this game ? And will that be fixed ? Act of Aggression does cost my Loyalty to this developer

Postby McNash » Sun 21 Feb 2016 03:12

I feel a lot of people actually got extremely frustrated for the overly complex Age of Empires-like resource system, while I understand this was done just, and just only to avoid spam of tier 3 units I feel it failed miserably in that aspect, then again, we all know Wargame avoided that by making unit restrictions and placing hard-counter systems, so there it won't matter if all your stuff was prototype, a single medium tier unit well placed will likely kill many times their cost while being easily countered by its own hard-counter.

Suggestion, simplify the resource system to make it be more like Generals/Red Alert/Act of War, no silly LEMs, silos or stuff, make the counter system stronger, infantry in particular, so there are no more tank deathballs or plan deathtrains.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Sun 21 Feb 2016 14:08

Double of income is not needed. Buildings and tech cost OK, units are too expensive.

But longer lasting resource fields that players need to fight for is needed.

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

Postby admiralzeech » Thu 24 Mar 2016 14:05

Take it easy, it's only been three days.

How fast do you think software is developed? If they pulled some all nighters to make the beta release date, it's quite possible that they've all been sleeping it off for a couple of days as well...

Spector
First Sergeant

Postby Spector » Thu 24 Mar 2016 14:08

The devs deserve rest, that is a fact.

We on the other hand need more then one patch during this beta.

1) Scouts need to be introduced back again and tested for optimal usage
2) Resources will need several iterations to get right
3) Unit and faction balance needs constant tinkering

All this means that if the devs plan to just roll out one big patch and end the beta that way the game will not improve as much as it needs.
"All your bases are belong to us", Zero Wing, 1991.

DrunkenCyclop
First Sergeant

Postby DrunkenCyclop » Thu 24 Mar 2016 14:27

We where not resting or spleeping, we where working on a patch !!

Over here for the changes.
=> viewtopic.php?f=200&t=56978

Now with more starting resources and cheaper Vehicle Bays.

Bosspower
Master Sergeant

Postby Bosspower » Fri 25 Mar 2016 13:41

Such a shit and bad topic. Play your Wargame and dont talk anything about the new gameplay
, if u didnt play act of War, the Mother of brilliant RTS. It is now 90% of the Aow gameplay.

this game is not a 2. Wargame or CNC....its the 2. ACT OF WAR!

This game is not a SPAM game anymore and it should never be a spam game!
In thia game EVERY unit must be very important to win a game and a rush!

NObody need this low scout units...they were very bad.

Salsifi
Warrant Officer

Postby Salsifi » Fri 25 Mar 2016 13:56

Bosspower wrote:Such a shit and bad topic. Play your Wargame and dont talk anything about the new gameplay
, if u didnt play act of War, the Mother of brilliant RTS. It is now 90% of the Aow gameplay.

this game is not a 2. Wargame or CNC....its the 2. ACT OF WAR!

This game is not a SPAM game anymore and it should never be a spam game!
In thia game EVERY unit must be very important to win a game and a rush!

NObody need this low scout units...they were very bad.

You should launch AoW again... :lol:

This reboot edition has no real link to the real gameplay of AoW... 90% ... Maybe more 30% closer...

Seriously, banks have have no strategic interest, infantry is just the infantry of all RTS without the addition of ambush, furtivity which was the spirit of consortium has vanished with Cartel since the first beta of AoA, maps are too huge to improve the gameplay now without multi resource fields, tacticals weapons are so low, no feelings when launching them, you remeber the picture when you put the target ?
AoW was innovative, AoA reboot edition is just a copy of something between a interesting thing of the first iteration of the first AoA which was promising and a common RTS with builders and... Nothing more...

Please don't compare AoW to Reboot edition, there is a so huge gap between a great game and a mod of AoA vanilla for the worse.

Bosspower
Master Sergeant

Postby Bosspower » Fri 25 Mar 2016 14:09

Yes ok 90% was a little bit too much :) ahahahahaha but 40%... the Vanilla version was 5% AOW.

SW´s in AOA reboot are still shit... u need too much for a HQ and we got no SW radar like in AOW.

Dozers are too expensive...1500.

Ambush mode is missing like i posted it 5 times. Bank mode is shit with 10 oil per 1 soldir.
1 soldir must be enough for full money.

I really really really dont like the 45 Oil of tankers per second!
And i dont like the 60 oil per 2 seconds of banks.

OIL tanker have to give the full Load of 540 after loading off (5-6 seconds load off time).
Banks have to give full load of maybe 400 after 5-6 seconds or longer time....

MAP HOld the line:

on this map the admins made a big big mistake of the left player.
The left player on both sides got the 2. oil on the hill near to enemy and the 3. near to enemy too.
1 oil has to be in the back of the mainbase oil!
please fix it.

Cartell:

The Cartell scorpian is too strong withthe range, if u got 10 tanks or more. With usa u got no change to come close to the tanks without defon 2!

But its still a BETA and its very nice to see Cartell building backbases again and build a oil at start on the other side of the map to rush the enemy and block there oils. And the shit Spam game is over and tanks dont drive 1000 mph on the road. No more HQ building and no more HQ income, i love it. :)

I think Eugen System got no Act of War Pro Gamer in there team. I think there is no Act of Aggression Pro Gamer in there team too.
Thats not good, otherwise they would never bring out the Vanilla Gameplay.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Fri 25 Mar 2016 14:12

AoA vanilla was not promising. Who are you trying to lie to? Sales, reviews and Steam score don't lie.

AoA vanilla was in the middle between C&C and Supreme Commander and unpolished at that. Very few people liked that.

Now at least they chose a side to get closer to: C&C (or AoW). Now it actually resembles something.

I just hope it gets a (not free) expansion in the future that will make it as fun as Zero Hour was for C&C Generals.

Return to “Act of Aggression”