Coolest Faction?

McNash
Lieutenant

Coolest Faction?

Postby McNash » Wed 24 Feb 2016 20:12

I am not talking about balance but overall design and feeling, aesthetics, background and personality.

Personally I think Cartel gets the cake.

By the way, why is that we have no poll option?

AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Coolest Faction?

Postby AndreB » Wed 24 Feb 2016 20:53

Chimera for obvious reasons :mrgreen:

Exo Soldiers, the SAS, the terminator, tigre, just <3

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Wed 24 Feb 2016 22:02

Based only on the appearance and personality, i'd say Cartel as well.

Mainly because of base buildings : The color and black pattern around them give their base a heavier "presence" compared to the other factions imo. I'd like to see something more pronounced for US and Chimera.

Also their unit icons in the interface : Punishers and vanguards have some style for sure. As the Specters, Koalitsiyas and of course, the Superhind.

Even if other units are also definitely cool-looking, like the SAS and their lethal Sniping beauty equivalent from the US army, to name only a few...
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

ace40k
Sergeant Major

Postby ace40k » Wed 24 Feb 2016 22:07

Cartel for sure!

i really love their unit design, which is dark, sleek, low-profile, hexagonal-shaped and sharp-edged. and their amazing weapons, which are pretty much mostly railguns (Scorpio, Spectre), clusterbombs (AMOS, X32) or flamethrowers/napalm (Scoutcar, Hind, Valkyrie).

and then the whole background story how they went from a U.S.-founded private military corporation to a now roque militant group backed by large multinationals. its development actually has so much in common with the predicted reallife evolution of PMCs: that armies will eventually be privatized, thus led by companies instead governments, as well as outgrow state-owned militaries.
"Where do you need a flying tank?" - SuperHind

Gnougnou
Sergeant Major

Postby Gnougnou » Wed 24 Feb 2016 23:22

Cartel by far. Seconded by Chimera and USA because it is here....

Cartel is sneaky and fun to play, it's harder to blob but you can make very fun attack with commanches and a few tanks. Problem is their reliance on alu that cannot be produced unless you have prisoners. I really like the black pattern and satellite dishes everywhere. I also think Spectre and Valkyries are very cool :)

Chimera is very good for their big bases and versatile units. Tigres, Termies and Pantsirs are looking great. I also really like their solid-industrial looking buildings. It reminds me of Steel Mill from Crysis. :lol:

USA is just the worst faction. They lack everything the other have : no style, tent based buildings, poor units. I hate this faction for reasons, but currently this is because of F35. The only thing I like are probably the Abrams and NLOS... I liked them in AoW because they had the MLRS, which is one of my favorite unit ever, even IRL.
Last edited by Gnougnou on Thu 25 Feb 2016 17:24, edited 3 times in total.

lincrono
First Sergeant

Postby lincrono » Thu 25 Feb 2016 04:42

Gotta love how people couldn't make it to 5 posts without mentioning balance. That aside, my vote's gotta go for the US. Brute force that becomes so much more with a little finesse, the in-game pluck to keep rolling along in spite of all the challenges they face. Even without all that I'd probably still pick them. I grew up a military brat, I've fired half the (infantry) weapons they use, I've been in and on Abrams and strykers and Humvees (and I don't mean ones sitting around on public display) that just makes it come alive for me every time I play.

atdsutm
First Sergeant

Postby atdsutm » Thu 25 Feb 2016 14:08

Cartel because of ...

Black and red motif.
Prototype color patterns
Prototype units
Stealth
Railguns

TheVanguard
Private First-Class