Eugen please watch this.

Opticalx
Sergeant Major

Eugen please watch this.

Postby Opticalx » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:05

So me and Andre B tried out the changes in the patch and I decided to do a video about it.
I showcased how javlins are now, and that effective counters to massive infi need to be addressed.

The speed increase to missiles is a very welcome change, but its come with some concerns to how CWIS works now.
In the video I give my thoughts on it, but as we are still in beta there is time to fix things and your doing a good job working at it.
But anyhow give it a watch and see for yourself.

https://youtu.be/dsrIBGLrqGM
Youtube - Opticalx

torinus
Lieutenant

Re: Eugen please watch this.

Postby torinus » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:30

Wait, wasn't speed increase only supposed to be for NLOS guidance version?

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:33

The speed bonus is for all "Top down" indirect attack ATGMs i think.

One thing i always agreed with : Javelins and more generally ATGMs shouldn't be able to lock-on and fire at infantry. They shouldn't have this firing authorization.

First it looks quite unrealistic, then imo it breaks a good part of the "shorter range" layer of counters we should have with infantry units like snipers and basic infantry (Marines, Contractors, Felins) vs those infantry launchers, them being ATGMs or AA...

The same for Guardians for example. a Guardian should switch to its cannon/gatling gun to engage infantry. Not ATGMs...The same for all these units like Puma or else...

Imo it also appears as a reason why the basic infantry, little mortars and HMG units are forgotten so quickly after the early game...
Last edited by Megiddo on Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:45

Megiddo wrote:The speed bonus is for all "Top down" indirect attack ATGMs i think.

One thing i always agreed with : Javelins and more generally ATGMs shouldn't be able to lock-on and fire at infantry. They shouldn't have this firing authorization.

Imo it breaks a good part of the "shorter range" layer of counters we should have with infantry units like snipers and basic infantry (Marines, Contractors, Felins) vs those infantry launchers, them being ATGMs or AA...

The same for Guardians for example. a Guardian should switch to its cannon/gatling gun to engage infantry. Not ATGMs...The same for all these units like Puma or else...

Imo it also appears as a reason why the basic infantry, little mortars and HMG units are forgotten so quickly after the early game...

But it is not only for top down. Before NLOS upgrade optical says their missiles are faster.

AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby AndreB » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:52

torinus wrote:
Megiddo wrote:The speed bonus is for all "Top down" indirect attack ATGMs i think.

Imo it breaks a good part of the "shorter range" layer of counters we should have with infantry units like snipers and basic infantry (Marines, Contractors, Felins) vs those infantry launchers, them being ATGMs or AA...

But it is not only for top down. Before NLOS upgrade optical says their missiles are faster.

Yup it is faster its confirmed.

Also guardians and stryker atgms their default version is way faster.

+1 for the video.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:54

Eugene, are all these missile speed increases intended? You said in patch topic that NLOS guidance missiles are faster.

ZxGanon
Sergeant Major

Postby ZxGanon » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:55

Well atleast the game looks way more dynamic now with that speed increase.

Javelins and Vipers are just too cheap you can brainlessly spam them a cost increase could do wonders so that it hurts losing them.
Gather My Cartel Children The Father Of Superhinds Is Calling!

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Mon 18 Apr 2016 17:01

Yeah i agree that basically this speed buff for missiles is really, really good.

Then i know that the video was made in that particular example purpose for sure, but you could have targeted the barracks or the constructor way earlier with your guardians to obtain a good trade for example...or produced mortars earlier to secure your position... ;)

Some more time is needed to test this correctly for sure.

If only ATGMs couldn't lock on and fire at infantry 8-) 8-) 8-)
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

lincrono
First Sergeant

Postby lincrono » Mon 18 Apr 2016 21:50

First off, I'd like the thank the OP from the bottom of my heart, for linking a youtube vid, and not a replay.

my opinion: keep the missile speed, for all the faction's indirect missiles, they needed it and it helps to micro around the unit delay.

However it is very clear that
- ALL CWIS needs a buff (in fact blazers and GAU Humvees have always struggled to match the CWIS of enemy auto cannons)
- Vehicles need a damage buff vs infantry. For the longest time howitzers (what he built) have been the only real counter to infantry unless you're lucky to have chimera's 'all our vehicles have 30mm cannons yo'
-missile infantry efficiency vs other infantry needs to be addressed. now I don't want to see another infantry armor vs HE buff (that is I think part of the issue here), and I don't want to see javelins loose lock on to infantry but
--why are snipers so short range vs rockets?
--why do rifles have so low health/dmg
--why do mortars suck vs infantry?
--why do .50 Cal HMGs and gatling guns kill infantry so slowly?
-missiles probably need a cost increase, especially no that their overkill issues have gotten some love (with faster missiles)
--please don't make any cost increase individual upgrade, it's annoying as hell, just give a flat cost increase.

Opticalx
Sergeant Major

Postby Opticalx » Mon 18 Apr 2016 22:10

lincrono wrote:First off, I'd like the thank the OP from the bottom of my heart, for linking a youtube vid, and not a replay.

my opinion: keep the missile speed, for all the faction's indirect missiles, they needed it and it helps to micro around the unit delay.

However it is very clear that
- ALL CWIS needs a buff (in fact blazers and GAU Humvees have always struggled to match the CWIS of enemy auto cannons)
- Vehicles need a damage buff vs infantry. For the longest time howitzers (what he built) have been the only real counter to infantry unless you're lucky to have chimera's 'all our vehicles have 30mm cannons yo'
-missile infantry efficiency vs other infantry needs to be addressed. now I don't want to see another infantry armor vs HE buff (that is I think part of the issue here), and I don't want to see javelins loose lock on to infantry but
--why are snipers so short range vs rockets?
--why do rifles have so low health/dmg
--why do mortars suck vs infantry?
--why do .50 Cal HMGs and gatling guns kill infantry so slowly?
-missiles probably need a cost increase, especially no that their overkill issues have gotten some love (with faster missiles)
--please don't make any cost increase individual upgrade, it's annoying as hell, just give a flat cost increase.

Your welcome mate, I hope the dev's can think about what I talked about.
Youtube - Opticalx