[AoA Reboot Beta] Patch v.390 ... + NEW MAP

Fab
Private First-Class

Re: [AoA Reboot Beta] Patch v.390 ... + NEW MAP

Postby Fab » Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:14

torinus wrote:
Fab wrote:If you wanted to give players some basic defense, giving them an identical tower that is part of HQ would be a much better solution.
It would have same range, damage and rate of fire for all factions and you would not be able to sell it. Also maybe a upgrade later so it also detects stealth within its range.

We all agree with that. But a bit more complicated just to "test it".

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:19

Fab wrote:
torinus wrote:
Fab wrote:If you wanted to give players some basic defense, giving them an identical tower that is part of HQ would be a much better solution.
It would have same range, damage and rate of fire for all factions and you would not be able to sell it. Also maybe a upgrade later so it also detects stealth within its range.

You are right. I just hope if you decide to keep a tower you do switch to something like this.

Also don't make it too good vs infantry or players will not even in mid game be able to capture anything in anyone's base. Basic rifleman die so fast to anything with a machinegun.

I hope this defense tower is not a fix for other problems like stealth builders making buildings or healing from Chimera prison being too good in early game.

AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby AndreB » Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:21

Fab wrote:
torinus wrote:
Fab wrote:

You are right. I just hope if you decide to keep a tower you do switch to something like this.

Also don't make it too good vs infantry or players will not even in mid game be able to capture anything in anyone's base. Basic rifleman die so fast to anything with a machinegun.

I hope this defense tower is not a fix for other problems like stealth builders making buildings or healing from Chimera prison being too good in early game.

I think we can all agree on this really.

Uppy
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Uppy » Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:39

Please Fab ,

Listen To Us Even if it will be more complicated and more time consuming to code :)

AoA Reboot is league Above Current RTS title in the market , you have a winner there and with fixes here and there it could be great game

thanks for your support :)

ZxGanon
Sergeant Major

Postby ZxGanon » Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:40

Fab wrote:
ZxGanon wrote:Why not testing stuff the community has written down? Why are you guys even having BETA testers if you just ignore us.

Do you realy have the feeling our patches don't take account of the feedbacks of the beta testers ?

We believe that recon unit won’t help the beginners in the early game. If you can scout and see that your opponent tries a tricky rush, you will not have the time to defend yourself if you’re not prepared.
With that free turret, we tried another thing, beacause, as Madmatt said it, we are still in beta state.

All you said in this thread about it are duly noted and we will try, as always, to make the game better.

Well to be true...yes I think you ignore us BETA testers and Im not the only one with that feeling that I can assure you.
So you guys "believe" the recon scouts wont do shit but add a tower from the start instead to eliminate standard rushing...sorry but this is just madness.

Try out our advices srsly that might save you some money and time to investigate. Why do you guys have BETA Testers? We spend some of our important life time to test this game (it might sound weird for you but yes I still want this game to be successful even though you entirely shattered my hopes with the last patch).

Well believe in us or just give it up.
Andre nailed it pretty much. Even though it goes against my thinking of providing more options...but increasing the requirements of factories of every faction through reffineries might solve the allin problem.

Vehicle openers will still work (especially as Cartel) so dont worry about that. The option to go either Raxx 2nd Reff or Vehiclebay Raxx will not fade away with a change like that.

You need to trust us testers...I mean we are the last hope for this game to become at least cool to play right? If people in the forums are concerning about some heavy issues it might be a frustrating factor that needs to be eliminated. This Turret provides even more allin potential (Chimera benfits the most) to just sell it and go for an super allin attack and without scouting you will die against that.
Gather My Cartel Children The Father Of Superhinds Is Calling!

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:10

Thanks for your answers Fab, and this link of discussion.

Sure, a kind of turret incorporated to the HQ, with a possible upgrade for stealth detection, could do the trick to avoid the player just selling it and build a bigger rush force at the beginning. That's a bigger amount of work to achieve, we understand that.

Still, imho a defensive capacity could stay the result of a strategic choice the player has to pay for. After all, all of us are not specially rush fans, but the game has to be fair for everyone and allow all strategies, even the early all-ins. In that case, this "HQ turret" could by itself, be an upgrade, available at start in the HQ. We would have to pay something, like 400-500$ for it by clicking on an HQ icon, and then the turret would quickly pop out on the HQ's roof. Why not with a further detection upgrade or else.

Yet we could wonder if it wouldn't take the place of the already existing turrets, even if those last ones can be built further to protect another zone...or if it wouldn't lead the player to build a "pack" of buildings right next to the HQ, later being an easy target for mortars, arty or air units...you'll figure what's best.

Then, what about the HP levels of units, or their price curves? higher prices but higher HP levels for all units couldn't smooth the traits of those easy early rushes? less units would rush at start, but higher HP levels could buy the players some more time to fight, either for the attacking or defensive player. So, as an example among others, infantry units wouldn't die immediately in front of a 2 Humvee rush, just placed in front of the Barracks exit...Soldiers would have the time to return fire once or twice before dying, while the following unit is built and goes out of the barracks. It could advantage the depth of the combat part somehow.

Your call for sure.
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

torinus
Lieutenant

Postby torinus » Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:32

One negative of higher HP units is ability of vehicles to run through enemy units that protect certain location and continue on to attack the base, something that even now can often happen.

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:38

Yeah, you're right Torinus, makes sense of course. That's why the HP levels and the price curves for units have to grow in parallel. less vehicles are easier to focus-fire with a more numerous, but lesser number compared to what we have currently, of cheaper units like infantry. Softcounters.

Front/side/rear armor values for vehicles could enhance this point as well ;)
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

ZxGanon
Sergeant Major

Postby ZxGanon » Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:49

torinus wrote:One negative of higher HP units is ability of vehicles to run through enemy units that protect certain location and continue on to attack the base, something that even now can often happen.

Happens in a lot of older CnCs where you just go in with fast units (Nod-Mods, Light Tanks) and snipe Reffineries or Power Plants but that doesnt really pay off if you lose your whole army.

Would enable cool strategies in AoA and enable high risk and high reward features...I like Meg´s idea.
Gather My Cartel Children The Father Of Superhinds Is Calling!

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Fri 29 Apr 2016 13:01

Added to that, higher HP levels, even if they allow longer and more contested engagements, could really fit with some kind of "abnormal statuses" for units, maybe specially for vehicles, earlier than currently, or at least in a more progressive manner. Like for example more progressive effects like degraded movement capacities, ROF or precision/hit rates at certain HP values, under 50% or 25% HP...

So you wouldn't just run-by opponent units and go out of it without consequences. you'd have to flank or search for a better approach move to stay at 100 % efficiency. Or make use of more important healing units/buildings...

Return to “Act of Aggression”