[AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby torinus » Mon 9 May 2016 11:09

McNash wrote:People will only come back if Eugen Systems doubles the resource income per minute and halves the refinery's price.

All other balance and feature changes are pointless without a strong economy update.

I don't see how that is true. That would only cause spam.

User avatar
guynumber7
Captain
Posts: 1624
Joined: Tue 14 Feb 2012 09:11
Location: Alberta
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby guynumber7 » Mon 9 May 2016 12:06

I agree with everything in this post. Throughout the development of AoA i expressed my feelings about the lack of micro and how the game should be more like AoW, which did a LOT of things right. Its only real failure was the bad marketing.

However, Eugen didnt listen and proceeded to mess up hard, and then try to salvage it with the reboot, only to mess it up further.
youtube.com/guynumber7

wargame vids shall be put up

Uppy
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu 14 May 2015 00:11
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby Uppy » Mon 9 May 2016 15:27

I appreciate their effort in reboot, they fixed many things that I consider broken in vannila

User avatar
McNash
Lieutenant
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun 15 Apr 2012 18:06
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby McNash » Mon 9 May 2016 18:17

torinus wrote:
McNash wrote:People will only come back if Eugen Systems doubles the resource income per minute and halves the refinery's price.

All other balance and feature changes are pointless without a strong economy update.

I don't see how that is true. That would only cause spam.


Have you ever visited old RTS site? Some of them published screenshots sent by fans, at one point one of them wrote something quite revealing: "please don't send pics of huge armies, anyone can do that" that was back when Generals was the things.

The point is, RTS actually has this allure of massive armies anyone could build, games such as C&C Generals and Tiberium Wars are examples of iterations which allowed both large armies and micromanagement, they had large populations of players and could bring a great appeal to anyone.
Image

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby torinus » Mon 9 May 2016 19:43

McNash wrote:
torinus wrote:
McNash wrote:People will only come back if Eugen Systems doubles the resource income per minute and halves the refinery's price.

All other balance and feature changes are pointless without a strong economy update.

I don't see how that is true. That would only cause spam.


Have you ever visited old RTS site? Some of them published screenshots sent by fans, at one point one of them wrote something quite revealing: "please don't send pics of huge armies, anyone can do that" that was back when Generals was the things.

The point is, RTS actually has this allure of massive armies anyone could build, games such as C&C Generals and Tiberium Wars are examples of iterations which allowed both large armies and micromanagement, they had large populations of players and could bring a great appeal to anyone.

I watched some C&C Generals matches recently (new ones) between good players and the armies fighting were usually smaller than even what we see in AoA Reboot and much smaller than what AoA Vanilla had.

User avatar
Gnougnou
Sergeant Major
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue 26 May 2015 23:27
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby Gnougnou » Wed 11 May 2016 00:23

StarSauorn wrote:It must be something else here that, large armies, small army , micro or macro management.


This is the whole point of my topic.

What I tried to explain is that AoA should have kept his ground with some features from the reboot, but that's all. Not a complete reegineering of the game. It's all about design. This game has huge map and had huge eco + satellite view and big armies, so it was close to Sup Com somehow. But for example you don't see tiny bridges on Supreme Commander, because it's WELL DESIGNED for macro. On the other side, you don't see huge maps on Red Alert (well maybe custom maps but nevermind) because it is WELL DESIGNED for micro. And then there is Act Of Aggression with rape-trainz and tiny bridges to pass 100+ termies 1 by 1.

This kind of stupid things does not help the game. This, and the lack of tutorials...

User avatar
Gnougnou
Sergeant Major
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue 26 May 2015 23:27
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby Gnougnou » Wed 11 May 2016 13:01

StarSauorn wrote:So you mean way finding ? Its in a lot of RTS games an issue, still they manage to be successful.

Not exactly. Pathfinding is sometimes broken on this game, but I'm talking about how units move and how maps are made for it. Due to many hills on many maps, it was easy in the old version to completly block an entire army by making some wrecks + having some turrets and arty. This was possible because of those tiny access/bridges on a lot of maps.

Now, it's a bit less of a problem because there are less units in early game. Still, as you said and I completly agree with it, eco is broken. The game is awfully slow at the beginning and end in a shitstorm of units. At least with the older version it was a steady progression and a shitstorm all the way long :lol:

torinus
Lieutenant
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri 15 May 2015 22:39
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby torinus » Wed 11 May 2016 15:41

I don't think it is slow in beginning, but if it lasts a bit too long spam becomes unreal.

User avatar
AndreB
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 18:49
Location: Mars Republic
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby AndreB » Thu 12 May 2016 14:18

Well to be fair i think the reboot is way better in terms of economy.

Like the previous version was all about ref spamming.

I really disliked that a lot.

User avatar
Gnougnou
Sergeant Major
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue 26 May 2015 23:27
Contact:

Re: [AoW/AoA] AoA today VS his old brother

Postby Gnougnou » Thu 12 May 2016 14:27

AndreB wrote:Well to be fair i think the reboot is way better in terms of economy.


Did you tried to play the old version again ? I did a game, just to remember.
You have so many things to do that the game if far more interesting and challenging. You have a lot of strats to do and game basically change everytimes according to where you built your other bases and how many ref you did, how many of them you put on each field, etc. So possibilities were incredible.

I'm not complaining about the one ressource system, well, maybe a little, but nevermind. But the beginning is so slow. And then, I almost do the same thing every games and it works all the time. I have like 2/3 strats per faction and that is all. I ignore 60% of units a faction has because I know that spamming only 2 will be enough to kill anyone.

But as Ganon said it, it's worthless to speak. Talking on the forum is a waste of time. The game has been released. Now they will just fix game crash, and that is all. I removed most ideas on the main topic, as well as the huge message for the devs. I kept the rest so one day we will find it under a layer of dust and laugh at it and how hopeful I was.

Return to “Act of Aggression”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests