New servers, new friends

Koalab
Private First-Class

Re: New servers, new friends

Postby Koalab » Thu 24 Aug 2017 23:23

Holy shit!!! You really fucked the game over this time. Thanks for killing one of my favourite games of all time with this bullshit.

Sigirdiwarth
Warrant Officer

Postby Sigirdiwarth » Thu 24 Aug 2017 23:38

Shit happens. I hope more critical things weren't affected.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 24 Aug 2017 23:48

The one thing that still boggles my mind the question of regular back-ups (or rather the lack thereof). Okay, servers and harddrives can crash. Been there, experienced that. But how in the name of everything that is holy can you not run basic regular (even if only monthly) back-ups of this invaluable data?

With this fuck-up you royally shafted any form of loosely associated play in mid to higher levels and the game will see even more people stacking lobbies using voice com. I had fun just running around these lobbies and inviting people of my friends list to play together with against stacks while not using voice com. The amount of these games will drop down to basically zero now that many (if not almost all) got deprived of their cirlce of regular randoms (or however you want to call it).

Of those people on my Steam list, a maximum amount of 4-5 are actually regular Wargame players. And only two of those I added after playing Wargame with them. The rest was managed by the in-game system...

Small Edit: Apparently only the friends list is gone. Everybody on my mute list is still there lol.

Sigirdiwarth wrote:Shit happens. I hope more critical things weren't affected.

Yeah, breaking player interaction and existing player connections totally isn't critical.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Fri 25 Aug 2017 00:34

Markenzwieback wrote:Small Edit: Apparently only the friends list is gone. Everybody on my mute list is still there lol.

Mute list is saved locally (probably same file as decks), it carries over between different accounts.

As for the friendlist... it is weird, very weird. When I logged in, it showed my friend as online (also steam friend) but when I switched to another account he did not appear in my friendlist.

Also adding random people seems to work fine without having to have them on steam. If I had to guess, it seems like the friendlist now works as before, it just does not display friends that are online.

The thing that grinds my gears is the steam friendlist thing... maybe the only friends that survived the crash where the ones you also have in your steam friendlist.

But that is mostly guessing on my part, it is weird for sure.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Fri 25 Aug 2017 00:50

Will there be a way to add people in game still? If you can't see them online, how can you invite them without steam?

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Fri 25 Aug 2017 10:06

jeffdn wrote:
urogard wrote:Since apparently you also decided to wipe out everyone's ingame friendlists without even the slightest warning...
Where can I apply to be sent a copy of my old WG friendlist which I had before the server crash?

Did you not see what PapaYankee said? Both of the hard disks containing their databases crashed. They didn't "decide" to do it, they experienced catastrophic data loss.

Crashing hard disks do not cause data loss, that's what you expect to happen because replacing failed or failing hard disks is standard procedure and, depending on how big the company is, daily routine. Having an entire raid failure is a lot more uncommon, but still within the realistic realm of possibility. It's not a question of "If?" but merely a "When?" for pretty much every IT company in the world.
Not having a working back-up system which allows you to restore data is what causes data loss.
This isn't some minor issue, if a company cannot fulfill a contract because they didn't have a back-up system, that's usually classified as grossly negligent behaviour by any standard in the industry and has usually dire consequences for the company (contract penalties, etc.)

Yankee said hard disks crashed and their machine experienced catastrophic failure which means they didn't have a redundant machine running. All of this is reasonable since raid failures simply happen and it's a financial burden to own duplicate servers and not every company can afford to have every system they have running redundantly.
But he never said a word about not having back-ups from which to restore data from.

There's 2 assumptions possible based on this knowledge:
#1 They have backups and DECIDED to do things the way they are now
#2 They DECIDED not to make sure they have a working back-up system and things are the way they are now.

Either way, they made a conscious decision which resulted in the current situation of wiping everyone's ingame friendlists. It's that simple

Koalab
Private First-Class

Postby Koalab » Fri 25 Aug 2017 12:24

The fact they only had two hard-drives under the database, is mind boggling to say the least. That they both failed at once, is probably due to them buying the hard-drives from the same production batch, ie serial numbers right after the other. For servers you ALWAYS buy hard-drives from different production batches. On top of that, as others have mentioned, there is no backup.

All this just spells amateur hour big time.

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Fri 25 Aug 2017 19:30

I don't know much about servers and server maintenance, and how much of this works so I am curious in some clarity; does Eugen run the servers themselves, or is there a third party involved who operates the servers?
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Fri 25 Aug 2017 21:14

XanderTuron wrote:I don't know much about servers and server maintenance, and how much of this works so I am curious in some clarity; does Eugen run the servers themselves, or is there a third party involved who operates the servers?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/ind ... t-23082889

Eugen servers! :mrgreen:

Arcalane
Private

Postby Arcalane » Fri 25 Aug 2017 22:20

Now here's what I don't get: I already have the people I play wargame with on my Steam list, but my friendlist is now 100% blank. There are no entries on it period, not even showing people as offline.

Do they need to run the game once or be online at the same time as me or something for it to recognize that we're on each others' Steam lists? Do we need to remove and readd each other or something equally ass-backwards?