What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Postby Sleksa » Wed 1 Mar 2017 14:33

Narcissistic 2036 wrote:Just add altitude variations, maybe energy-bleeding and so on with some semi-realistic tactics (say, stuff like the Thatch weave) into the AI and it'd be really good, maybe even realistic. Not sure how feasible that is with Eugen's resources/priorities-but the tech probably exists.

Narcissistic 2036 wrote:Just

I think you're using that word wrong

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Wed 1 Mar 2017 14:55

No prototypes plox.

That's all I want.

Oktoberfest
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Oktoberfest » Wed 1 Mar 2017 15:29

FrangibleCover wrote:The Sherman ...., low probability of dying in one, ...

Wasn't it nicknamed the Tommy Cooker because of it's tendency to catch fire as soon as it was hit because of the fuel used ?

Low probabilty because of the ratio of tanks lost vs tanks produced. But when the round penetrated the Sherman, you were literally toast !

Nequit
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Nequit » Wed 1 Mar 2017 15:59

• big, easy to use hatches
  • wet stowage
  • stable, hard to ignite multi-based propellant
Sherman was actually pretty good at avoiding total crew loss and most of tanks burned not because of the fuel fires, but propellant ones.
Last edited by Nequit on Wed 1 Mar 2017 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 1 Mar 2017 16:00

Oktoberfest wrote:

Wasn't it nicknamed the Tommy Cooker because of it's tendency to catch fire as soon as it was hit because of the fuel used ?

Low probabilty because of the ratio of tanks lost vs tanks produced. But when the round penetrated the Sherman, you were literally toast !

Afraid not, although that's been the narrative for a while the fightback is underway. I'm going mostly from memory here, I'm afraid, but I'll have a go at busting the myth myself.

The very early Lend-Leased Shermans in the Western Desert had a regrettable tendency to catch fire when hit because the ammunition was cooking off (fuel type had little to do with it) that was found to be due to the British crews ignoring the ammunition stowage regulations and ramming the whole tank full of shells. No tank will perform well under those conditions. I don't know the origin or veracity of the Tommy Cookers nickname but note that it very definitely refers to British soldiers. 'Ronsons', the other claimed nickname for the Sherman, definitely wasn't used. Ronson only started marketing under the "Lights first time, every time" slogan post-war.

After the early performance of the tank and perhaps because of it the US developed the wet stowage system that made the Sherman much less likely to catch fire even though the dry stowage system, correctly used, was as good as any other tank in the world. Add to that the widespread US use of tank helmets and the overall average crew losses per tank loss were very low. British crews tended to have slightly higher losses due to our insistence on wearing Berets in the tank :lol: .

If you've got three quarters of an hour then this is a superb presentation on the subject which I might end up having to sig soon. 36:17 and on if you're pressed for time.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Wed 1 Mar 2017 16:01

Oktoberfest wrote:

Not true there is a video on YouTube explaining the myth

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjp_4jY8pY

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Wed 1 Mar 2017 17:29

Well, the previews for the new game are out, and I'm... actually thrilled. It's everything I wanted. I'll buy it.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

MARDER
Command Sergeant Major

Postby MARDER » Wed 1 Mar 2017 17:29

HrcAk47 wrote:
Mike wrote:
MARDER wrote:New idea.

Airplanes can be adjusted by the player of instead having a set load out the player can choose what is loaded.

Wow, you're so smart. No one has had that idea in the four years planes have been in Wargame.

cheapest fast airframe x biggest bomb it can carry = new meta

Your airplane looses on speed and maneuverability and TOT. The weight of the new load out can be a blessing or a nightmare.

Juke16
Corporal

Postby Juke16 » Wed 1 Mar 2017 17:48

In case anyone wants to check out the ammo storage on a Sherman, a youtube channel I follow covers it:

https://youtu.be/qBXbNANGuUs?t=9m19s

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Wed 1 Mar 2017 18:50

HOI and Wargame had a baby. I'm not sure about this. I feel it'll be too dependant on overall strategy and won't feel like a real battle.

Time will tell.

Return to “General Discussions”