What's happening behind the iron curtain?

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2016 12:59
Contact:

Re: What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Postby M4jor » Tue 7 Mar 2017 11:08

Will Steel Division also have city blocks from Wargame?

City Blocks are the one single feature I hope not to see in Steel Division to be honest. There must be other ways to model city fight that do not require teleportation, please? :)

User avatar
FrangibleCover
Lieutenant
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon 14 Nov 2016 21:34
Contact:

Re: What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 7 Mar 2017 11:29

Markenzwieback wrote:Wouldn't say that 12th SS will be a heavy/elite division. If I remember my readings correctly, the SS "Hitler-Youth" division was partially driving on earlier Panzer IIIs during Normandy.

I mean 'Heavy' purely in the sense that they're going to be the ones with the top-end tanks, not necessarily that they're going to be particularly well trained. Actually I'm thinking that division 'mass' is going to be inversely proportional to infantry training so that the story of the game isn't just "101st Airborne win Phase A, have all their units killed in the meatgrinder in Phase B and then get completely wiped out by two units of Tiger II(H) in Phase C and get tabled."

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:I'm trying to work out the division list, since we know there are 18:
-
  • 6th Airborne - Light (Confirmed from screenshots)
  • 51st (Highland) - Medium (The 'Scottish' Division we keep hearing about)
  • Unknown Heavy Division, probably 7th Armoured

Not that close, Sherlock ... :twisted:

A galling set to get wrong :D, but you've implied I have one right. 6th Airborne are right, you've got a screenshot of Pegasus Bridge (my concerns about that have been gone over) so therefore the Scottish unit must be 15th Scottish, presumably due to balance concerns from the combination of the world's best shock infantry and HAPCs in the 51st :lol:. Perhaps there's to be no British armoured unit because the Poles have that covered, I can't see that you'd put in the Guards Armoured or the 11th Armoured over the Desert Rats. 79th Armoured Meme Deck? Alternatively, Commandant Kieffer's French Commandos (with some small support from 1st and 4th SSB), since I know how popular he is in the area. Only problem is that it's not a Division sized formation in total.

FrangibleCover wrote:US -
  • 101st Airborne - Light (Explicitly confirmed)
  • Unknown Medium Division, probably 1st or 29th ID
  • Unknown Heavy Division, probably 3rd Armoured

That's a bit closer from the mark ...

I'm happier with my guess of the Third Herd than I am with either Omaha division but I'm really not too familiar with the US units that 'must' be included. Conversely, if the Poles are covering the British armour the French could be covering the American armour... No idea. Probably not the 82nd though, that's too much airborne.

FrangibleCover wrote:Canada - Probably just one unit, the 3rd Infantry[/list]
Poland - Probably just one unit, 1st Armoured[/list]
France - Probably just one unit, 2nd Armoured[/list]

Those were easier: the former was clearly mentionned, the latters are the only ones from their respective nation ... ;)

I didn't notice 3rd Canadian being explicitly confirmed. I went conservative with the other two, for all I know there's a Silesian unit in the German ToE and you'd included a combined Resistance division because you needed them for the US campaign into Brittany. And Kieffer :P .

A shame you missed that last one ...

Honest guess? 3rd Fallschirmjaeger, you've got blokes with the flat-sided airborne helmet in the first shot of the trailer. That could equally be half a dozen other units though.

FrangibleCover wrote:Actually not Nazis at all, we're Czech

Try Romanians.

:o When do the preorders open?

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th_SS_P ... rlichingen
Damn it, that's cheating. And they're REALLY Nazis. Super-Duper Nazis.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?
Image

User avatar
Scottfitzz
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri 22 Mar 2013 21:30
Location: West Midlands
Contact:

Re: What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Postby Scottfitzz » Tue 7 Mar 2017 21:52

For the British i can see the following most Likely:
- 6th Airborne Division because the 6th Airborne Division was used to secure the flanks and other vital peices of land and Bridges and such things. Also confirmed in Screenshots showing Pegasus Bridge with Paratroopers / Airlanding Infantry.
- 3rd British Infantry Division because it was one the Most Major Divisions that landed and met with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division but mainly also grants access to the First Special Service Brigade of British Commandos (Not RM becuase No. 3 Commando is Army...) aka Lord Lovats Commandos which would be something i could really see them picking over any other infantry division... unless they picked 15th or 51st over it then fair enough :lol: I'd prefered 59th (Staffordshire) Infantry Division but oh well ;)
- 15th (Scottish) Division or 51st Highland Division
- Guards Armoured Division or 7th Armoured Division (Can see it being GAD due to them using Sherman's in the main Armoured Brigade then using Cromwells inside of 2nd Bn Welsh Guards so it grants access to both unlike the 7th which used Cromwell inplace of Sherman but got issued with Fireflys too though)
"Ich Dien"

User avatar
FrangibleCover
Lieutenant
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon 14 Nov 2016 21:34
Contact:

Re: What's happening behind the iron curtain?

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 7 Mar 2017 22:12

Scottfitzz wrote:For the British i can see the following most Likely:
- 6th Airborne Division because the 6th Airborne Division was used to secure the flanks and other vital peices of land and Bridges and such things. Also confirmed in Screenshots showing Pegasus Bridge with Paratroopers / Airlanding Infantry.
- 3rd British Infantry Division because it was one the Most Major Divisions that landed and met with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division but mainly also grants access to the First Special Service Brigade of British Commandos (Not RM becuase No. 3 Commando is Army...) aka Lord Lovats Commandos which would be something i could really see them picking over any other infantry division... unless they picked 15th or 51st over it then fair enough :lol: I'd prefered 59th (Staffordshire) Infantry Division but oh well ;)
- 15th (Scottish) Division or 51st Highland Division
- Guards Armoured Division or 7th Armoured Division (Can see it being GAD due to them using Sherman's in the main Armoured Brigade then using Cromwells inside of 2nd Bn Welsh Guards so it grants access to both unlike the 7th which used Cromwell inplace of Sherman but got issued with Fireflys too though)

Well, MadMat was saying I was mostly wrong with 6th Airborne, 7th Armoured and 51st Highland. 6th Airborne is right, as you say. 15th Scottish is really the other option for the Scottish unit that's been confirmed. I think 3rd Infantry is probably the best bet then, I didn't realise Lovat was attached to them but given that it's an interesting one from the gameplay perspective (Elite and Regular infantry intermixed, Hobart's Funnies and the only use of Centaurs in combat) I think that makes most sense. As I say, the Commonwealth Armoured role can be filled by the Poles, who really do deserve it.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?
Image

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests