Will you buy Steel Division?

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: Will you buy Steel Division?

Postby FrangibleCover » Sat 8 Apr 2017 23:27

hansbroger wrote:
Cullen's Hound wrote:If they do the east front they should do early war in Poland, nobody ever covers that part of the war.

I really love games that let you play out early WW2

I've never seen a single game about the Marco Polo Bridge incident :ugeek:

:lol: I thought I'd never get the chance to use the supercilious nerd smiley. To the point, I'll note that they already have half of the French tanks modelled and a whole bunch of French map props so it would actually be pretty cheap to do 1940. The French campaign would be absolutely depressing though, you get five tactical successes in a row and then the Government surrenders (for no damn reason) and you're either off to the internment or flagging down a trawler.

Edit: Aww, you edited your post to include the bit about China.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Sat 8 Apr 2017 23:40

FrangibleCover wrote:
hansbroger wrote:
Cullen's Hound wrote:If they do the east front they should do early war in Poland, nobody ever covers that part of the war.

I've never seen a single game about the Marco Polo Bridge incident :ugeek:

:lol: I thought I'd never get the chance to use the supercilious nerd smiley. To the point, I'll note that they already have half of the French tanks modelled and a whole bunch of French map props so it would actually be pretty cheap to do 1940. The French campaign would be absolutely depressing though, you get five tactical successes in a row and then the Government surrenders (for no damn reason) and you're either off to the internment or flagging down a trawler.

Edit: Aww, you edited your post to include the bit about China.

Yeah it suddenly dawned on me as I was writing, 1937 Shanghai would be a gangbuster of a map for sure! There's also no reason not to tack on Nomonhan/Khalkin Gol to the eventual OstFront division dlc/expansion whatever they want to call it. The PLA would be a very niche division(s) set but probably fun in their own way while the German NRA division(s) would be rather interesting as well with their better artillery and highly trained/motivated infantry.

Most RTS just don't even go into the war in the Pacific, let alone Asia, I'm sure there's loads of people that want to take a crack at holding/pre-emptively avenging Singapore & Corregidor and it sure as hell would be redemption for RD if the NRA+PLA could have a run at the IJA in the 1937-40 period.

If this game truly wants to make itself unique I'd fully support an expansion to more periods and campaigns, the stat assignment and distance scale among other things really do seem like they could support it.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sun 9 Apr 2017 20:47

hansbroger wrote:

Hell even China could get in on the fun with the NRA 88th and 87th divisions and the PLA wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage against the IJA especially on this have l game scale and on closed terrain maps formulated like du hoc.

There were few missions in Codename:Panzer, or something like that :P

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Sun 9 Apr 2017 22:27

Pretty much anything pacific related I have seen for an RTS is usually naval/air combat related. Probably one of the few exceptions was one the axis and allies rts.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Mon 10 Apr 2017 00:46

Shrike wrote:Pretty much anything pacific related I have seen for an RTS is usually naval/air combat related. Probably one of the few exceptions was one the axis and allies rts.

Yeah that and Men of War Assault Squad1/2 and its mods, which is a shame because much of the combat there actually scales down to the tactical level very well.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Mon 10 Apr 2017 00:55

hansbroger wrote:
Shrike wrote:Pretty much anything pacific related I have seen for an RTS is usually naval/air combat related. Probably one of the few exceptions was one the axis and allies rts.

Yeah that and Men of War Assault Squad1/2 and its mods, which is a shame because much of the combat there actually scales down to the tactical level very well.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I've always pictured the Pacific as being very infantry-focused and unsuitable for Eugen's mechanized meeting engagement approach, aside from some actions in the Philippines and the CBI stuff. Now, I'd be very pleased to have the CBI stuff in a game but I'm not sure my tenth game of "Take 300m of Iwo Jima" would hold my interest in quite the same way.

Then again, it's really not something I've studied.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 10 Apr 2017 01:21

I think tanks and vehicles have their place in the pacific. Mostly as infantry support, it would be pretty foolish to attack with just infantry. Plus the terrain can favor the Japanese in some cases, since they have some pretty small tanks that are also light enough to appear in places where armor is the least expected. Plus Japanese weren't totally defenseless against tanks, although they might have to play like the brotherhood nod a bit when dealing with enemy armor.

Other than that, I disagree with the all or nothing idea of either attacking with just tanks or just infantry. Modern warfare is characterized by combined arms warfare. What's worse is I have seen let's players send tanks out into the middle of a city or near a forest and watch their tanks get killed and they will remark with something like "You see, tanks are crap. Infantry are what win battles." only to see them moments later send infantry in the open and get pinned down.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Mon 10 Apr 2017 01:47

Shrike wrote:I think tanks and vehicles have their place in the pacific. Mostly as infantry support, it would be pretty foolish to attack with just infantry. Plus the terrain can favor the Japanese in some cases, since they have some pretty small tanks that are also light enough to appear in places where armor is the least expected. Plus Japanese weren't totally defenseless against tanks, although they might have to play like the brotherhood nod a bit when dealing with enemy armor.

Other than that, I disagree with the all or nothing idea of either attacking with just tanks or just infantry. Modern warfare is characterized by combined arms warfare.

I don't mean that armour will be useless or not present (The LVT series comes to mind), I mean that it will take a back seat to the infantry combat and the armour has historically been the thing that Eugen focuses on, so it would require a change of direction for the company. Additionally infantry has historically always come in transports and that's just not something that fits in the mid-Pacific stuff for Japan or the Kokoda Trail at all. There's a good game somewhere in that sort of Jungle/Coral combat but I don't think Eugen would want to make it.

What's worse is I have seen let's players send tanks out into the middle of a city or near a forest and watch their tanks get killed and they will remark with something like "You see, tanks are crap. Infantry are what win battles." only to see them moments later send infantry in the open and get pinned down.

To be fair I did both of those things today but I came to the appropriate conclusion: I'm crap.

Harout
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Harout » Mon 10 Apr 2017 14:06

We could've had Wargame: Operation Unthinkable instead of celebrating 2nd War of German Aggression for the millionth time.

I get it. Honestly. Its very romantic. I too daydream of Volkssturm holiday on French coast.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Mon 10 Apr 2017 18:34

Korean War it is! :O

;)

Return to “General Discussions”