Phases in SD

marecek05
Command Sergeant Major

Phases in SD

Postby marecek05 » Tue 7 Mar 2017 19:03

Hi all,

I have just read a preview article on PCgamesn website and I got a little confused. How will the phases exactly work?

The overview in article says that the first 10 mins will be infantry only, then some tanks for another 10 mins and heavy tanks only afterwards. Article also states that this phasing is realistic.

I have my doubts, which I would love to have dispelled on these forums :-).

In gameplay terms: Why is there going to be a limitation on player freedom? Considering the balancing track record with Wargame series, are you guys confident that adding another factor (selection which phase can the unit come onto field) is a good idea, which will not make balance even harder to achieve? Will the size of the map change during the battle, or will I have to cover most ground initially with the slowest unit type?

In realistic terms: I might be wrong, but from what i've read the most common engagement type in WWII was a combined arms (infantry supported by vehicles) unit running (on purpose or accidentally) into enemy fortified position. I don't remember reading about many battles that started with an infantry clash that escalated into a large battle.

If there is offense taken, please blame my English skills. I don't mean to offend, I am only curious about the new great thing to come out of Eugene.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Phases in SD

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 7 Mar 2017 19:56

The phases are supposed to be the natural progression of a meeting engagement. In the first phase you can only call in *light* units - not just infantry. This includes things like light tanks, scout cars, jeeps, infantry, etc. Later on the fight escalates to include more and more heavy weapons.

An interesting caveat is that you play as a specific division with its own strengths and unit types. In Wargame terms this would mean there are no generalized decks and you must choose a specialization. So an Airborne deck has stronger infantry and a broader selection of units in Phase One, but in later phases they lose potency relative to other decks. Also the income gain is different... for example an Airborne deck gets 90 points per minute in phase 1, whereas an armored deck gets 70 points per minute. Yet by phase three, an airborne deck is only getting (iirc) 115 points per minute to an armored deck's 135. This system means that lighter decks start strong and have advantages in the early games, whereas heavier decks take longer to gain strength but become more powerful overall.

I think of it like this:
Phase 1 - Skirmishing, Reconnaissance
Phase 2 - Consolidation or Counterattack, depending on performance in Phase 1
Phase 3 - End-game, all-out war
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Tue 7 Mar 2017 21:41

raventhefuhrer wrote:I think of it like this:
Phase 1 - Skirmishing, Reconnaissance
Phase 2 - Consolidation or Counterattack, depending on performance in Phase 1
Phase 3 - End-game, all-out war

I think this is the most sensible guess. (And the most sensible way to do it)

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 8 Mar 2017 10:49

In the earlier phases, only light units will be available.
This gives light tanks & vehicles, such as Stuarts or German SPWs, a much greater role for, for some time, they will mostly fight among themselves.
And while the game unfold and move to the next phases, heavier units gets unlocked.

Hence you'll have to be smart when creating your battlegroup to balance the types of units you're selecting against their ETA on the battlefield: bringing only Tigers to the fight will leave you stranded with no tanks in early game.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Wed 8 Mar 2017 10:53

[EUG]MadMat wrote:In the earlier phases, only light units will be available.
This gives light tanks & vehicles, such as Stuarts or German SPWs, a much greater role for, for some time, they will mostly fight among themselves.
And while the game unfold and move to the next phases, heavier units gets unlocked.

Hence you'll have to be smart when creating your battlegroup to balance the types of units you're selecting against their ETA on the battlefield: bringing only Tigers to the fight will leave you stranded with no tanks in early game.

Does the 3rd phase - and therefore the match - also end after 10minutes?

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Wed 8 Mar 2017 10:56

It actually adds more choice.

Rather brilliant way IMO to balance out lighter factions and make more equipment viable. Wish wargame was like this.
Viker for ingen!

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 8 Mar 2017 10:58

orcbuster wrote:It actually adds more choice.

Rather brilliant way IMO to balance out lighter factions and make more equipment viable. Wish wargame was like this.

Also, and especially, gives a way to balance PT-76 like tanks without giving them away at 10$ by x24.

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Wed 8 Mar 2017 10:59

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
orcbuster wrote:It actually adds more choice.

Also, and especially, gives a way to balance PT-76 like tanks without giving them away at 10$ by x24.

Exactly, it ads a factor that favors light units
Viker for ingen!

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 8 Mar 2017 11:06

orcbuster wrote:Exactly, it ads a factor that favors light units

Indeed.
When light tanks are all you've got for the first 10 minutes, they tend to hold a much greater importance in your strategy. ;)

oneshot
Staff Sergeant

Postby oneshot » Wed 8 Mar 2017 11:59

Ah, the men of war approach. I like.
Shifu wrote:Download the replays and put them into C:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\EugenSystems\Wargame3 - then you can watch them from ingame.

Return to “General Discussions”