Phases in SD

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Phases in SD

Postby raventhefuhrer » Fri 10 Mar 2017 21:21

Baron Mijail wrote:I hope recon phase is not for recon only, 10 min fighting only with this kind of units (assuming Wargame standards) can be a bit boring imo. But if light tanks are involved that's another thing.

We know for a fact that there are more than just recon units available in these phases. For example, you can see a screenshot of the armory where someone can put M10 Tank Destroyers, infantry, and 57mm AT guns in their deck - all available in Phase A. And that's just from the anti-tank section

http://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/pu ... hot_01.png
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Fri 10 Mar 2017 21:44

So based on the deck builder, units become available based on what phase they belong. Can units from previous phases be deployed later in the game? Or once the first phase has past, that is it for deploying light units?

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 10 Mar 2017 22:00

In the screenshots, you can see that light tanks and some planes are in that A phase.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Ribar
Warrant Officer

Postby Ribar » Sat 11 Mar 2017 10:17

This reminds me of R.U.S.E. Total War mode. You had 1939, 1942 (I'm not sure if it was '42) and 1945 year switching in the same manner as described in Steel Division, with each "era" you unlocked stronger units, early game favoring heavy French B1Bis and Soviet KV-1, mid game favoring German Tiger and end game where everyone had tons of prototypes.

But from my personal experience, 1945 games were the standard among players, so I think that only way to make people play this phase switching is by disabling the option to play phase C only. I see the game is designed around balancing divisions according to phase, so I hope that phase A/B/C games only will not be a feature.
Image :mrgreen:

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 11 Mar 2017 10:29

Ribar wrote:This reminds me of R.U.S.E. Total War mode. You had 1939, 1942 (I'm not sure if it was '42) and 1945 year switching in the same manner as described in Steel Division, with each "era" you unlocked stronger units, early game favoring heavy French B1Bis and Soviet KV-1, mid game favoring German Tiger and end game where everyone had tons of prototypes.

But from my personal experience, 1945 games were the standard among players, so I think that only way to make people play this phase switching is by disabling the option to play phase C only. I see the game is designed around balancing divisions according to phase, so I hope that phase A/B/C games only will not be a feature.

Except the British who got Screwed over

FleF[FFR]
Second-Lieutenant

Postby FleF[FFR] » Sat 11 Mar 2017 11:18

Crotou wrote:If face C was longer, then the divisions stronger in phase C would get more chances to win.

It depends on the units' price and the resilience of them in cover.

You can see things the other way. The blue side will be pushing forward for 10 minutes, then there is 10 other minutes where the Iron cross players have to drive them back, which might not be this easy depending on the will of the devs. During this time points will be filling blue the bar. Then the phase C arrives and "division stronk" has to be at least slightly ahead in points to be safe. If not, it has twenty minutes to make a difference.

It is really interesting as a game mode.
Rejoignez les FFR!
Une communauté de jeux videos sympa et conviviale

DrRansom
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRansom » Sat 11 Mar 2017 17:30

The surrendering mechanic and front lines makes counter-attacks more likely. In Wargame, each counter attack needs to annihilate every piece of defending infantry, especially for the key downs defending a points zone. But, in Steel Division, a counter attack may hit anywhere on the line and eliminate defended positions by surrounding them.

In wargame, the phase mechanic wouldn't work without other changes, but now? We will see.

Return to “General Discussions”