Phases in SD

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Phases in SD

Postby eMeM » Wed 8 Mar 2017 13:11

According to this article:
https://www.destructoid.com/steel-divis ... 2735.phtml
An average battle takes 90 minutes.
Which is... very long. And would mean 20 minutes of light units and over an hour of the heavy stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's not true.

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Wed 8 Mar 2017 13:59

In a recent screenshot we could see the Phase A of the game lasting 10minutes, that'd probably meen a 30min gale for 3 phases.
90 would indeed be much too long. Maybe only for some 10v10 games or SP scenarios?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 8 Mar 2017 15:31

Selkares wrote:In a recent screenshot we could see the Phase A of the game lasting 10minutes, that'd probably meen a 30min gale for 3 phases.
90 would indeed be much too long. Maybe only for some 10v10 games or SP scenarios?

Yes, either they took their time to enjoy all their little units, either they played 10v10. Or their testing machines are way outdated ... :)

LightMonk
First Sergeant

Postby LightMonk » Wed 8 Mar 2017 15:43

Is Phase C open End?

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Wed 8 Mar 2017 15:49

LightMonk wrote:Is Phase C open End?

I'd like to know too.

Plus, are all phases always the same length? (for instance 10min + 10 + 10) or are they variable depending on the number of players or other settings?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 8 Mar 2017 17:06

Selkares wrote:

I'd like to know too.

Plus, are all phases always the same length? (for instance 10min + 10 + 10) or are they variable depending on the number of players or other settings?

I'd imagine (100% speculation) that the length of the phases are adjustable.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Wed 8 Mar 2017 17:29

Mike wrote:
Selkares wrote:

I'd like to know too.

I'd imagine (100% speculation) that the length of the phases are adjustable.

That would be a recipe for tilted public games. "Oh, 5 min phases, and what do you know, host has picked the heavy tanks team".
It is one of those things that solidly falls into the category of things people asks for because they want to play a different game but would make the game worse by ensuring that it is almost never played with the designed-for settings.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Wed 8 Mar 2017 17:36

Gronank wrote:
That would be a recipe for tilted public games. "Oh, 5 min phases, and what do you know, host has picked the heavy tanks team".
It is one of those things that solidly falls into the category of things people asks for because they want to play a different game but would make the game worse by ensuring that it is almost never played with the designed-for settings.

Well, that could be solved/avoided/mitigated with minimum length for A and B phases. But it is a valid issue.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 8 Mar 2017 17:37

Gronank wrote:It is one of those things that solidly falls into the category of things people asks for because they want to play a different game but would make the game worse by ensuring that it is almost never played with the designed-for settings.

This is a great point. In ALB people asked for less restrictions on lobby settings, and in RD Eugen granted that but I think it ended up being a mistake. Too many options, too many hosts that didn't know what they were doing and the end result is a marked decrease in the quality of games being hosted, to the detriment of community population size and enjoyment.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Wed 8 Mar 2017 18:27

I'm all for restricted settings... as long as it can be modded. So that the community doesn't spread, but people still have control for private lobbies.

Return to “General Discussions”