Brigadier

So any official word on modding ?

Postby Darkmil » Sat 18 Mar 2017 17:37

It's in the title.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: So any official word on modding ?

Postby Mister Maf » Sat 18 Mar 2017 21:21

There will be mod tools so people can't say "Wah you didn't put my granddad's unit in the game"

Don't expect anything on Skyrim level, though.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sat 18 Mar 2017 21:36

If that's only that, it's useless, those already exists... They should allocate this time for something else if they plan to develop something entirely redundant with Enohka's work.

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Sun 19 Mar 2017 02:50

Darkmil wrote:If that's only that, it's useless, those already exists... They should allocate this time for something else if they plan to develop something entirely redundant with Enohka's work.

Official support for modding may have its own benefits; we'll have to wait and see.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:17

fox_the_apprentice wrote:Official support for modding may have its own benefits; we'll have to wait and see.

Sure but if we cannot get either a model editor, a map editor or a script editor, I don't really see the point, beside a little more convenience for users and maybe for modders. Is that worth a full development cycle for a tool that essentially already is there and most probably more potent (in some ways).

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:49

Darkmil wrote:
fox_the_apprentice wrote:Official support for modding may have its own benefits; we'll have to wait and see.

Sure but if we cannot get either a model editor, a map editor or a script editor, I don't really see the point, beside a little more convenience for users and maybe for modders. Is that worth a full development cycle for a tool that essentially already is there and most probably more potent (in some ways).

Convenience for users is kind of a big deal. If mods can be downloaded and installed/uninstalled through Steam's workshop, that massively increases the potential user base for a mod. Not only does it allow more users to use mods, but if changing from one mod to another no longer requires a lengthy installation process plus re-verifying the game's cache (or using some third party program that makes backups and restores them), multiple mods can coexist without people having to be heavily invested in just one of them.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 19 Mar 2017 20:40

Xeno426 wrote:
Darkmil wrote:

Convenience for users is kind of a big deal. If mods can be downloaded and installed/uninstalled through Steam's workshop, that massively increases the potential user base for a mod. Not only does it allow more users to use mods, but if changing from one mod to another no longer requires a lengthy installation process plus re-verifying the game's cache (or using some third party program that makes backups and restores them), multiple mods can coexist without people having to be heavily invested in just one of them.

Aside from a bit of skin modding I've never really explored Wargame's modding scene simply because it seemed like quite the pain in the arse. I'd get something out of Workshop support even if nobody else did.

The other thing is that if Eugen are letting everyone put in Gramps'/Grandpappy's/Opa's Division they're probably not going to be doing Division DLCs for Normandy. We might get maps but I expect that we'll either get 'new' games or large Expansion Packs while we party like it's 2005.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sun 19 Mar 2017 21:44

Xeno426 wrote:
Darkmil wrote:

I will quote myself
Is that worth a full development cycle for a tool that essentially already is there and most probably more potent (in some ways)

In my opinion no.
(so do more complete modding tool Eugen :D )

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 19 Mar 2017 22:15

Darkmil wrote:
Is that worth a full development cycle for a tool that essentially already is there and most probably more potent (in some ways)

In my opinion no.
(so do more complete modding tool Eugen :D )

The problem is that the current tool isn't more potent than one Eugen makes and integrates with Steam Workshop.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sun 19 Mar 2017 22:39

Xeno426 wrote:The problem is that the current tool isn't more potent than one Eugen makes and integrates with Steam Workshop.

Is that true ? If so how is it more potent ?