The obligatory "will there be a Linux version?" thread

pyrr
Corporal

The obligatory "will there be a Linux version?" thread

Postby pyrr » Thu 30 Mar 2017 11:03

Title says it all. Since SD also uses the IrisZoom engine, I imagine it won't be too hard to port the game to Linux.
Since I don't need Windows anymore and only boot it once or twice per month, it would be great if things could stay exactly like that :)
Yeah, I know that the Linux user base is really small, not only for Eugen's games but also in general. But the Wargame series turned out to work like a charm on Linux, so it'd be great if SD continued that tradition.

Cheers

N.B.: if the question has already been asked and answered, I apologise.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: The obligatory "will there be a Linux version?" thread

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 30 Mar 2017 12:50

pyrr wrote:N.B.: if the question has already been asked and answered, I apologise.

It has ... ;)

So, the obligatory billionth answer to that question remains: no, the game is PC/Windows only.

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Thu 30 Mar 2017 16:04

Thanks for the billionth answer :)

Maybe it will run under Wine. Luckily with Steam, we can always buy the game, test it, and if it doesn't work, return the game.
I can understand your decision to not support Linux, the user base is incredibly small for reasons I'll never understand :)

Good luck and happy release.

krasnyii
Corporal

Postby krasnyii » Thu 30 Mar 2017 16:05

Is there an official explanation ?

Something as the (too) small success of the Steam Machines ?

I am a linux user and my main game is still Red Dragon.
I really liked that Eugen offered the possibility to the linux players community to join a game for a quite specific public.

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Sun 2 Apr 2017 00:21

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
pyrr wrote:N.B.: if the question has already been asked and answered, I apologise.

It has ... ;)

So, the obligatory billionth answer to that question remains: no, the game is PC/Windows only.

The penguins deserve this.

Never Forget

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Wed 5 Apr 2017 16:33

No, they don't.

Anyways, Linux user base is too small, that's why Eugen doesn't want to support Linux anymore. It's a shame, but we penguins have to live with it. I'll buy the game anyway and try to get it to work with Wine. If it doesn't, there's always Steam refund service.
I honestly thought more people would be turned off by Win10 and Microsoft's politics and switch to Linux/MacOS, given the fact that there are already tons of high quality Linux/MacOS games available, but they seem to be quite happy with Win10 for whatever reason.

lorenzfx
Private First-Class

Postby lorenzfx » Thu 6 Apr 2017 16:30

noooooooooo

@pyrr: if you get it to work, please post.

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Mon 10 Apr 2017 11:49

A first try with Wine 2.5 was unfortunately not successful. The game doesn't start at all. I used standard Wine settings with Windows version set to 7. Will try again with the old WinXP mode. I guess this needs more tweaks and probably the right set of DLLs.

We would need more people trying to get this to work with Wine, and possibly open a new page on Wine's AppDB.

Edit: perhaps Eugen could tell us what DLLs are needed. VC++ runtimes and DX, anything else? Even if they don't support a Linux version, some basic help with Wine would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 2: Eugen, is this a pure 64-bit game or a 32/64-bit compatibility build?

pyrr
Corporal

Postby pyrr » Tue 11 Apr 2017 21:05

A second try was unsuccessful as well. I spent four or five hours, but I couldn't get it to work.
When the game is launched in fullscreen mode, it blocks the X server.
When the game is launched in windowed mode, I get an error message saying that it can't be run in windowed mode...

Since Eugen is unwilling to offer even the slightest amount of support to us Linuxers, we have to wait until the final version is released and published on WineHQ. I'm confident that someone gets it to work in the future, the Wine community is very active.
I'm returning the game now (yeah, Eugen somewhat rightfully doesn't care about the 6 or 7 Linux users, but still, no money from me).

It's a shame really. Eugen and Paradox were, respectively are, known for their excellent Linux support. The Wargame series, EU4, HOI4, Stellaris, Cities all work on Linux. SD:N44 doesn't. Well then. Why don't you ask Feral to port your game to Linux, Eugen? :)

I wish all penguins good luck. Windozers, have fun with SD:N44, it seems to be a great game.

Cheers.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Fri 12 May 2017 19:23

Interestingly enough, I wonder if there is going to be migration to Linux/Mac in the next few years, now that Windows 10 is entering a critical stage.

In particular consider that:
-Windows 7, Vista and WinXP have been discontinued/blocked for security updates if you have new hardware
-Microsoft's (stated?) intention is to charge for updates on Windows10
-Free upgrade period to Windows10 was only 12 months - presumably the install base is still a minority (anybody have data?) and MS has left a backdoor in place (on purpose) to extend the period unofficially
-Microsoft is selling users' private information to third parties
-Valve has a dominant position in gaming and I take is still pushing its SteamOS and OSX as platforms
-I'm not mentioning all of Microsoft's sins and dirty laundry from the decades past, or the indisputable superiority of Linux, because this is not supposed to be a 20 page rant :-P

Now might be a good time as ever for Eugen & Paradox to look more closely into Linux + Mac support (even if it's mainly just Ubuntu, SteamOS etc).

You're saying WG: Red Dragon runs like a dream on Linux?

Return to “General Discussions”