Why would you ever use a medium tank?

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Why would you ever use a medium tank?

Postby Mukip » Fri 14 Apr 2017 06:25

It seems like the meta is going to be heavy tanks + assault guns and other stuff. But why would you buy medium tanks at their current prices? They are rolling death traps.

For tank battles you want Panthers and Jumbos.

For infantry support, you want light tanks and self-propelled assault guns since they do the job cheaper and let you bring more Panthers and Jumbos or whatever else it is you actually need.

Please note that I mean tanks from the tank tab, such as the Panzer IV J/H and M4A3(75)W, not things such as the support tab shermans with the anti-infantry guns.

I think they probably need to be cheaper across the board.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Re: Why would you ever use a medium tank?

Postby HaryPL » Fri 14 Apr 2017 07:42

When your tank tab doesnt have other alternatives, doh.

Though yeah, some of them seem to be too expensive or limited for what they give you.

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Fri 14 Apr 2017 09:48

For some reason the scottish Sherman II is 10pts more expensive than the M4A1 while having the exact same stats (it could use improved ammo tho). Besides, you don't have many cards of it, just some at phase C. It would be great if it was cheaper and more available.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Fri 14 Apr 2017 11:25

Maybe because your deck only contains medium tanks ? Good luck using a HT with the 12.SS or the US armored deck, they don't have any. (It's not Wargame anymore it's a WW2 game LT, MT and HT have a real meaning now)

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 14 Apr 2017 11:30

Technically speaking the UK 15th has no heavy tanks either, only infantry tanks which "could" class as heavy however they are not intended for fighting enemy tanks, only infantry which the honeys do fine (big reason i suggested giving the churchills bocage crossing power ^^ so they can do their job and be useful).

Sure MK VII got called "heavy churchill" but its still not a "heavy tank" as you would think and are either command or flame tanks.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Fri 14 Apr 2017 12:18

Heavy tank meaning like more than 15AV I suppose.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Fri 14 Apr 2017 12:49

HaryPL wrote:Heavy tank meaning like more than 15AV I suppose.

I really don't like this classification. It's easier to just say 15FAV+ than heavy as heavy has a different meaning, for the different countries and was a term used at the time for instance P26/40 was a heavy because by italian standard, below 6t it was a light and above 18t it was a heavy so for clarity sake let's start describing precisely what we mean with AP/speed/FAV value...

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Fri 14 Apr 2017 14:06

remove heavies from phase A and B

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Fri 14 Apr 2017 14:30

Then the topic should sound like "Why would you use tanks that are painfully vulnerable to most of AT pieces on the field through all phases" I suppose?
Because that's what current M4s and PzIVs seems to be, at least for me.

On contrary, we have Jumbo's and Panthers that while not invulnerable, can engage most of enemy units, including many dedicated counters, with sensible degree of self-security.

Temujin
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Temujin » Fri 14 Apr 2017 16:29

Medium tanks are extremely useful against those self propelled assault gun you mentioned. As well as AA vehicles, all kind of jeeps and recon, and infantry of course.