Why would you ever use a medium tank?

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: Why would you ever use a medium tank?

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 14 Apr 2017 16:30

I like them, because my tanks are mostly fire support vehicles that are somewhat tougher and as assault guns that can die while I say "meh". They're not marvelous, but they are good against all soft targets, which are their primary foes. They are also "recon by fire" that has a chance to survive against AT guns if they get hit: If they get shot at, they reverse while the artillery or airforce toasts the AT gun, then they advance again with their infantry buddies all around.

At least that's how it works in the bocage. In more open fields, they're "CHARGE THROUGH THE SMOKE! BANZAI!"
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Fri 14 Apr 2017 18:47

DeuZerre wrote:At least that's how it works in the bocage. In more open fields, they're "CHARGE THROUGH THE SMOKE! BANZAI!"

If you want to get slaughtered by Panthers, sure.

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Fri 14 Apr 2017 19:05

Mitchverr wrote:Technically speaking the UK 15th has no heavy tanks either, only infantry tanks which "could" class as heavy however they are not intended for fighting enemy tanks, only infantry which the honeys do fine (big reason i suggested giving the churchills bocage crossing power ^^ so they can do their job and be useful).

Sure MK VII got called "heavy churchill" but its still not a "heavy tank" as you would think and are either command or flame tanks.

The command churchill has 15 armour. I'm not using the technical definition of heavy tanks. I mean heavy in the way we talked about heavy tanks in Wargame. i.e. really tough tanks.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 14 Apr 2017 19:09

Mukip wrote:
Mitchverr wrote:Technically speaking the UK 15th has no heavy tanks either, only infantry tanks which "could" class as heavy however they are not intended for fighting enemy tanks, only infantry which the honeys do fine (big reason i suggested giving the churchills bocage crossing power ^^ so they can do their job and be useful).

Sure MK VII got called "heavy churchill" but its still not a "heavy tank" as you would think and are either command or flame tanks.

The command churchill has 15 armour. I'm not using the technical definition of heavy tanks. I mean heavy in the way we talked about heavy tanks in Wargame. i.e. really tough tanks.

And a terribad gun of terribadness :lol: I would consider it a heavy medium over a heavy tank, its still too poor to use outside of anything other than its command role, which a dingo does better for 30 damn points iirc, ie 130 points less or so :lol:

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 14 Apr 2017 19:49

I think that for this game we should use the proper nomenclature for tanks :P Light/heavy/medium never cut it. It had a "non historical" sense in wargame that was logical, but in this game it's totally wrong to limit tanks to their "wargame weight".

It was the "infancy" of tanks, where a tank could have the same nomenclature in different countries and have totally different roles.

A Pz IV (F1), a Pz IV (F2), a M4 and a Pz V (whatever the versions) are drastically different beasts, yet they're all mediums.
A Churchill is an Infantry tank, it's pretty clear what its role is. But the Pz H35(f) is an infantry tank by design too, and sucks at everything.
So, come on, let's not talk classes, weight, or whatever. Let's jsut call them by their names, they aren't that hard generally.

Mukip wrote:
DeuZerre wrote:At least that's how it works in the bocage. In more open fields, they're "CHARGE THROUGH THE SMOKE! BANZAI!"

If you want to get slaughtered by Panthers, sure.

For a single panther, I can have two command M4A1. Sure, i'll probably lose one, but I'll be close enough to toast the panther with the other one. And the M4A1 has better tools to suppress the infantry around the Panther.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Fri 14 Apr 2017 19:54

Unless enemy isn't complete newbie and there's a Panzershreck team holed up near the said Panther, just waiting to tell your flanking maneuver / attrition'ing to GTFO ;)

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 14 Apr 2017 19:55

DeuZerre wrote:For a single panther, I can have two command M4A1. Sure, i'll probably lose one, but I'll be close enough to toast the panther with the other one. And the M4A1 has better tools to suppress the infantry around the Panther.

Actually depends on the specific panther, the panther command for example has a 50%ish chance of just outright destroying a sherman in the first shot and this is max range btw, increasing significantly if it misses. The Shermans however.... first need to get into range :lol:

DeuZerre

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 14 Apr 2017 20:04

Mitchverr wrote:first need to get into range :lol:
[/quote]
Hey, that's why I said "charge through smoke", you get right at their bellies negating the range advantage, (basically whoever hits firsts kills the other)

Of course you don't charge alone, that's why halftracks are there. :p ANd hopefully the other guys are a bit suppressed by some mortars. Well, I know that's a lot of ressources, but battles are never "X vs Y" anyway if you're on the allies side (Panthers can snipe if you let them do it)
Marshal honoris causa

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 14 Apr 2017 20:06

DeuZerre wrote:Hey, that's why I said "charge through smoke", you get right at their bellies negating the range advantage, (basically whoever hits firsts kills the other)

I gotta be frank, I have never seen a panther player let that happen to their stuff outside of a guy who went AFK to answer the door.... :lol: As soon as smoke goes down, the panther either goes through it or runs away, if he runs you might gain "a bit of ground" but they might have all sorts just waiting for you to try and push it hidden in the bocage. :lol:

The "others" whom i have killed off close in ALWAYS attacked me, a defencive panther has never let itself be attacked by me in such a way.

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Fri 14 Apr 2017 20:21

If only tanks in this game had a "reverse" order that lets them point their frontal armour at the enemy while moving backwards...

I'm assuming you played against somebody who purchased the game yesterday and played 1 match and this is your proof that Shermans are good against Panthers :roll:

DeuZerre wrote:I think that for this game we should use the proper nomenclature for tanks...

Not this again. This arguement was already had when Wargame came out and people were complaining about T80's and Abrams being referred to as heavy tanks instead of MBTs. In the end, people are going to use terminology that best fits the video game (much to the impotent frustration of the nomenclature police).

Return to “General Discussions”