Tanks: Breaking LoS and providing Cover?

Operation Ivy
Master Sergeant

Tanks: Breaking LoS and providing Cover?

Postby Operation Ivy » Sat 15 Apr 2017 01:19

Hey all,

I was wondering why Tanks do not count as Cover and block LoS? It is clearly wierd when a little bush is an obstacle where you can't see through but a Tiger II is not. It would also add interesting gameplay aspects to the game and realism.

So my question is: How are the chances that it will get implemented at some point?

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: Tanks: Breaking LoS and providing Cover?

Postby DeuZerre » Sat 15 Apr 2017 06:37

I'd say the chances are null. As for the initial question, I'll let devs answers, but I think it's dynamically too hard to do (too much resources consumption) if it were to happen. Would also break aiming with units, the time to aim would probably go bork if you're aiming at a target that's gonna get obscured by a tank passing in front of it for half a second.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

D-M

Postby D-M » Sun 16 Apr 2017 17:53

I'll let devs answers, but I think it's dynamically too hard to do (too much resources consumption) if it were to happen.

I don't think resources are the issue, the actual tech question would rather be whether the engine is prepared to do that and if not, how much work it would need.

But personally, I just don't see what it would add in term of gameplay.

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Megiddo » Mon 17 Apr 2017 14:06

Having all the logically concrete scenery elements, such as buildings, houses, walls or even ground elevations finally obstructing the LOS and the trajectory of the shots, till their destruction, would be a great first step ahead to achieve. So many projectiles are still going through them...

Time to finally optimize the engine on this point.
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Mon 17 Apr 2017 20:18

Big vehicles provide heavy cover for infantry in Company of Heroes 2, which is situationally extremely useful. If it could be added to this game I would be all for it. There would only just be enough room for one squad behind a single tank, but that could be all they need.

Guyver
Sergeant

Postby Guyver » Mon 17 Apr 2017 23:31

it could be gamebreaking like an entire vehicle column 1 by 1 going towards you. :D

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Tue 18 Apr 2017 02:11

Guyver wrote:it could be gamebreaking like an entire vehicle column 1 by 1 going towards you. :D

It doesn't work in motion in CoH because squad AI runs out of the way of moving vehicles. It wouldn't work in Steel Division because infantry and tanks move at different paces. Even if it did work, you'd be setting up a great bombing target for the enemy in doing so.

Return to “General Discussions”