Should aircraft be repairable when ground units are not?

Cullen's Hound
Sergeant Major of the Army

Should aircraft be repairable when ground units are not?

Postby Cullen's Hound » Sun 16 Apr 2017 18:02

Aircraft making multiple runs against my AAA, each time degrading my capabilities until the unit is destroyed while the aircraft are able to quickly repair. Is that balanced?

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Re: Should aircraft be repairable when ground units are not?

Postby hansbroger » Sun 16 Apr 2017 21:09

It would be rather interesting to make aircraft into a WiC like sortie attached to a forward air controller vehicle much like the off map artillery currently is. To order aircraft the FAC must be in a certain range of the target and to fully use the X number of sorties that aircraft is available for you'll have to keep the forward air controller vehicle alive... ie the aircraft use option dies with it.

IMO it's weird that aircraft can repair significant damage between sorties, I think the only aircraft that you can call in through the manner currently in game should be liaison/recon aircraft and fighters with the ground pounders largely being like the FOP type vehicles where you buy a number of "sorties"... but that's just my two cents.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Sun 16 Apr 2017 23:59

It's a good point. Compared to Wargame, ground units cannot be repaired and the AA options are less powerful, but planes can repair themselves. I'd be worried about facing a team of players who coordinated their bombing runs well enough to kill all of one player's support weapons at a time, since they'd probably take no losses themselves doing so.

A limited number of sorties may the best option. For the sake of multi-role planes, perhaps only ground-attack runs should count as a sortie use.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Mon 17 Apr 2017 06:04

The difference between WG and SD is that there is no health system for vehicles. Vehicles can receive non-lethal crits and they require a supply truck to repair those non-lethal critical hits. If we can repair these non-lethal crits on the field, we can repair planes' from nonlethal damage at the airfield.

Mukip wrote:A limited number of sorties may the best option. For the sake of multi-role planes, perhaps only ground-attack runs should count as a sortie use.

I don't think that is advisable. That would make multi-role fighters far superior choices to actual fighters, since you essentially get infinite sorties for hunting aircraft if you don't use all their ordinance.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Mon 17 Apr 2017 07:05

I'd trigger auto-evac, aborting the attack run, if plane takes enough damage. Proper limit is probably somewhere between 30-70%. That way you can still use fighters to kill enemy planes and make sure they don't return (blade) but AAA protects ground troops from air attacks (shield). Maybe increase plane repair times further if this isn't enough and planes keep beating off-map artillery in utility.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Mon 17 Apr 2017 20:22

Hob_Gadling wrote:I'd trigger auto-evac, aborting the attack run, if plane takes enough damage. Proper limit is probably somewhere between 30-70%. That way you can still use fighters to kill enemy planes and make sure they don't return (blade) but AAA protects ground troops from air attacks (shield). Maybe increase plane repair times further if this isn't enough and planes keep beating off-map artillery in utility.

That's more or less the way it works already. The problem is the shield doesn't deal enough suppression or damage to ward the attack off, let alone do any real damage.

DasaKamov
Command Sergeant Major

Postby DasaKamov » Mon 17 Apr 2017 21:52

Do aircraft even take damage in Steel Division? As others pointed out, there is no such thing as vehicle "hit points", and I haven't yet seen any "critical hit" effects o aircraft (along the lines of "crew stunned", "transmission damaged" etc. as with ground vehicles).
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

Cullen's Hound
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Cullen's Hound » Tue 18 Apr 2017 04:40

They show as repairing in the panel.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 18 Apr 2017 07:12

Cullen's Hound wrote:They show as repairing in the panel.

Is there not a "strength" on the unit card?
Courtesy of KattiValk

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 18 Apr 2017 09:13

TankHunter wrote:The difference between WG and SD is that there is no health system for vehicles. Vehicles can receive non-lethal crits and they require a supply truck to repair those non-lethal critical hits. If we can repair these non-lethal crits on the field, we can repair planes' from nonlethal damage at the airfield..

Mh, this got me thinking... Has anyone seen a crit for planes?

Maybe that could be a solution: Some non-lethal crits that make the plane non-usable for the match (just like a tank who loses his engine) but still efficient for that current mission they're flying in.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.