Introducing: Steel Division Wiki (ow, my back)

Tagaziel
Corporal

Introducing: Steel Division Wiki (ow, my back)

Postby Tagaziel » Tue 2 May 2017 23:18

Without further ado, a wiki for Steel Division:

http://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/

I've been working on it for the past week, including a rather painful experience with transcribing screenshots (don't ask) and it's slowly on the way to completion. I don't presume to be the end-all-be-all authority on the game or tactics - I'm more of an administrator and logistician than tactician - so any input and editing of your own are greatly appreciated.

Known issues: Since I can't force ModGen to open regular pre-order files (ain't that a... StuG of out nowhere), there's about 200 of the total 600-something units on the wiki, with my goal being getting most of the data down as soon as it becomes available. The goal is to have all of them on the wiki, though whether it means unique pages for every national variant of the Sherman or one that lists alternative icons is up in the air.

A sample of what I'm gunning for is here:

https://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/M4A1

I've uploaded all the divisional and commander images, together with the 600 something icons for the units (ow, my fingers), with unit portraits following somewhere around tomorrow.

For now, I hope you'll enjoy and perhaps edit too. Or at least suggest how to get at the files right now. In the meantime...

Ow. My everything.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Introducing: Steel Division Wiki (ow, my back)

Postby Mike » Wed 3 May 2017 00:23

Well shit, good on you man!
Courtesy of KattiValk

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Wed 3 May 2017 02:21

Looks solid, nice job, mods perhaps a sticky is in order?

At a later date if the mod tools allow it, it might be useful to try to extract some of the hidden values in game, a good example being the turn radius of aircraft which are currently a qualitative value when a quantitative value may be more accurate and informative, but that's just finetuning and trying to solve a problem which really shouldn't exist in a Eugen game anyway.

Also welcome to the forums :P
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 3 May 2017 05:42

Nice work, my dude. Looks like a great start.

Tagaziel
Corporal

Postby Tagaziel » Wed 3 May 2017 09:05

captaincarnage wrote:Looks solid, nice job, mods perhaps a sticky is in order?

I would love nothing more than that!

At a later date if the mod tools allow it, it might be useful to try to extract some of the hidden values in game, a good example being the turn radius of aircraft which are currently a qualitative value when a quantitative value may be more accurate and informative, but that's just finetuning and trying to solve a problem which really shouldn't exist in a Eugen game anyway.

I took a gander at the mod tools' data and that's definitely in the .ndf files. 'course, I'd have to figure out how to interpret data and rely on my derelict grasp of French to make sense of it. I think maybe I should work on one article and finish it as a proof of concept (protip: Shoot the Panther to disable it! ;)).

Also welcome to the forums :P

Mister Maf wrote:Nice work, my dude. Looks like a great start.

Mike wrote:Well shit, good on you man!

Thanks guys! I have no intention of stopping... Well, maybe to let my fingers rest first. I was sold on it from day one, being a huge RUSE fan (Wargame mostly a casual observer). With General Maczek and the First, well, he's basically a rock star to me insofar military history is concerned, so the game can't go wrong. :D

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 3 May 2017 09:16

Sticky it is ...

Great job indeed! :)

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Wed 3 May 2017 11:04

Damn, nice job!
And by ocassion a lot of stuff from undisclosed divisions revealed :D

Salamander7734
Master Sergeant

Postby Salamander7734 » Wed 3 May 2017 22:29

Storch infantry OP plz nerf

http://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/Infantry

:P

But seriously, awesome! :D

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 4 May 2017 22:52

I was actually considering forming a wiki myself, though I was going to go more down the lines of 1d4chan style(for those whom dont know, swearing, fun quips and a bit of banter) over "very helpful" style haha.

Though I do suggest that if people make "edits" to the info on pages it has to get some kind of moderation review, otherwise it might end up going downhill fast.

Tagaziel
Corporal

Postby Tagaziel » Fri 5 May 2017 18:44

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Sticky it is ...

Great job indeed! :)

HaryPL wrote:Damn, nice job!
And by ocassion a lot of stuff from undisclosed divisions revealed :D

Happy to serve! World War II happens to be a passion of mine (well, it pays to understand just why your country has so many issues :)).

Salamander7734 wrote:Storch infantry OP plz nerf

http://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/Infantry

:P

But seriously, awesome! :D

They fly around and pew-pew enemy infantry. Crafty, ze Germans.

Mitchverr wrote:I was actually considering forming a wiki myself, though I was going to go more down the lines of 1d4chan style(for those whom dont know, swearing, fun quips and a bit of banter) over "very helpful" style haha.

Though I do suggest that if people make "edits" to the info on pages it has to get some kind of moderation review, otherwise it might end up going downhill fast.

Hey, I'm going to be the very last person to stand in the way of people editing. I find a mix of banter and levity to be ideal... I once wrote the walkthrough for the USS Constitution quest on The Vault and broke into piratespeak halfway through. Or had a very Pythonesque day and worked several references into an Osiris: New Dawn guide in... Good times. As for moderation, I stick around, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hell, if you want to jump in, I'd appreciate any and all help!

As for the content, I'll be fixing up the unit type pages in the coming two or three days, plus providing division tech trees (for a lack of a better word)... Thus far I've completed a second pass on the units, including updates from the game and modifying the infobox to accommodate pretty images and armor layouts. Still some debugging to do, but...

https://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/K%C3%B6nigstiger_(P)

(also, whom do I complain to about the grammar error in naming Polish riflemen? It should be Strzelcy, not Strzelców, that last one is genitive, not nominative :D)