The maps....

MeetYaMaster
Private

The maps....

Postby MeetYaMaster » Thu 18 May 2017 01:04

Are we going to get any unique looking maps, ones that aren't just endless fields and tress with a few doted towns? I suppose Mont Ormel got some hills going for it but how about some rivers and bridges or some cliffs? Looking forward to release though :D

Fade2Gray
General

Re: The maps....

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 18 May 2017 08:29

How can you complain about maps? They are a return to the EE style of cover literally everywhere. It's one of those major improvements over WGRD where many of the good maps have lots of open ground and little cover.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Thu 18 May 2017 09:26

The thing is Eugen guys stick to "authentic" geography and such. I am afraid Normandy does not offer a wide variety of landscapes... :lol: I too would like to see more maps like Mont Ormel with a little bit of heights here and there.

But still, the maps we can play so far are nice. They are open, with very very few choke points and that's a great improvement compared to ALB and RD. As stated above, SD feels in many ways like EE which a great plus.

Saavedra
Warrant Officer

Postby Saavedra » Thu 18 May 2017 10:37

Fade2Gray wrote:How can you complain about maps? They are a return to the EE style of cover literally everywhere. It's one of those major improvements over WGRD where many of the good maps have lots of open ground and little cover.

What?

EE had tons of open ground, WGRD is the one with tons of covers. However, what SD has that WGRD doesn´t is a higher rate of missed shots, meaning people can dare to take some risks and go into the attack rather than basically camp in tiny hedges with massive tanks, and LOS-blocking cover (that will not accept those massive tanks in it).

Leon026
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Leon026 » Thu 18 May 2017 10:51

Try running in a field with 9 other friends.

Ask another friend 1km away with binoculars if he can see you while you lie down and crawl.

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Thu 18 May 2017 11:48

Welcome to bocage country.

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Thu 18 May 2017 18:19

I feel, at least personally, that the maps we have a very much a return to EE, with some important facilities on the map and other interesting landscapes (industrial facilities, airfields etc.). This is not a bad thing by any stretch, and I am grateful to see the return.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 18 May 2017 19:16

Saavedra wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:How can you complain about maps? They are a return to the EE style of cover literally everywhere. It's one of those major improvements over WGRD where many of the good maps have lots of open ground and little cover.

What?

EE had tons of open ground, WGRD is the one with tons of covers.

Pray tell, out of the maps that were played regularly, which have "lots of open ground" then? RD is all about making your own cover with smoke.

RD basically has a "lot of cover" in concentrated areas and insane amounts of open ground, though some (Highway for example) do go back to that EE style.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 18 May 2017 19:32

MeetYaMaster wrote:Are we going to get any unique looking maps, ones that aren't just endless fields and tress with a few doted towns? I suppose Mont Ormel got some hills going for it but how about some rivers and bridges or some cliffs? Looking forward to release though :D

These are maps of the literal combat grounds of Normandy using RAF recce pictures. Simply put, this is what Normandy looks like lol.

I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant

Postby I WUB PUGS » Thu 18 May 2017 22:49

I love the maps.