Mistakes in the names of Polish units

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Mistakes in the names of Polish units

Postby eMeM » Sat 20 May 2017 15:49

I've seen a gameplay video with the 1st Armored and spotted some strange things in the unit names.

"STRZELCOW" is in genitive case, (well, strzelców, there should be an accent over o), nominative would be "STRZELCY", and that would make sense next to DRAGONI, SAPERZY, ZWIADOWCY etc.

"DOW. STRZELCOW" is okay, it's genitive (leader/commander OF riflemen), but it lacks the accent over o (should be "DOW. STRZELCÓW").

It's the opposite situation with dragoni:

"DRAGONI" is nominative, so no problem here, but...

"DOW. DRAGONI" is wrong, commander/leader OF dragoni would be "DOW. DRAGONÓW".

----

Less important stuff:

In "VICKERS CKM" I'd switch the words, "CKM VICKERS" sounds better.

bobsters
Sergeant

Re: Mistakes in the names of Polish units

Postby bobsters » Sat 20 May 2017 20:26

Polish is without a doubt the hardest language I have ever picked anything up from. Lol

Thank you for the attentiveness.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sun 21 May 2017 17:21

Also it would make sense to describe mortars in civilized ;) diameters and not inches, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone in Poland to see 4.2in mortar / Moździerz 4.2"; it's Moździerz 107mm.

Also.. if French was called meme-division and turbo-cancer.. what the hell the Pancerna will be named? :lol:

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Sun 21 May 2017 18:24

Eh, I'm not sure, they weren't in Poland after all, would make sense to use strange British names. Like with 6- and 17-pounders.

I'm reading 1 Pancerna memoirs now, if I stumble upon a mortar name I will let you know :)

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sun 21 May 2017 19:51

I'm more looking at nowadays players of this game, there's no point in inches or pounds; maaaybe except 17-pndr.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Sun 21 May 2017 20:54

eMeM wrote:"STRZELCOW" is in genitive case, (well, strzelców, there should be an accent over o), nominative would be "STRZELCY"

It's been reported and fixed already.

eMeM wrote:"DOW. STRZELCOW" is okay, it's genitive (leader/commander OF riflemen), but it lacks the accent over o (should be "DOW. STRZELCÓW").

OK

eMeM wrote:In "VICKERS CKM" I'd switch the words, "CKM VICKERS" sounds better.

OK, although I think it was already reported and fixed.

eMeM wrote:"DOW. DRAGONI" is wrong, commander/leader OF dragoni would be "DOW. DRAGONÓW".

No offense but are you sure?
Two Poles have already reviewed the names and mentioned the same typo you're referring to above, but never that one ... :)

And since you're there, how would you write "BLACK DIVISION" in Polish?

bobsters
Sergeant

Postby bobsters » Mon 22 May 2017 00:51

Polish in-law says they would say "Dywizja pancerna" but also mentioned the direct translation would be "czarna dywizja" for black division.

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Mon 22 May 2017 02:04

Dywizja pancerna is just armored division. Black Division is the nickname and it indeed translates to Czarna Dywizja.

I'm 100% sure about dow. dragonów.
Dragoons are dragoni, but when you want to say dragoons' leader, leader of dragoons, dragoni has to be in genitive. Hence dowódca (kogo? whose?) dragonów.

If "dow. strzelców" is correct "dow. dragonów" has to be correct as well, it's exactly the same situation.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Mon 22 May 2017 02:49

The real problem is that STRZELCY are the same as osttruppen in terms of equipement and availability, only 1 guy more, not disheartened and 5 points (=25% ) cheaper.

Lets hope that is not in the game anymore by release.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Mon 22 May 2017 14:50

eMeM is correct in all cases.

Dow.Dragoni could be correct only if it was meant to be shortcut for oddity such as Dowódczy Dragoni [ Leadering Dragoni; not sure if thats even a real word in any of 2 languages] which would lousely (and half-brokingly) translate in meaning as 'dragoni that lead' instead of "leader of dragoni", the latter being Dowódca (Dow.) Dragonów

Return to “General Discussions”